Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, UA Gold, SPG, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tassojunior
Your wife's old MC AA probably won't matter. I had one open & got 2 AA's in May (on same day).

Your 11-month old MC AA didn't stop you from being approved for business and shouldn't be the reason you'd be disapproved for personal. It's the new business card that might stop you from being approved for a new personal.

Would have been best to do two apps at once as those seem to get through. But certainly worth a shot, many people have gotten a 2nd card days later.
Went ahead an applied for the wife (personal AmX) and she got instant approval. (Granted I keep her credit immaculate, she only plays the cc game when an offer is too good to turn down.)

I'm confused on your comment on me being able to get the personal AmX approved. I think there have been many posts in this thread where people have said they were denied because of the first time applicant thing. I don't want to ding my credit unless its a slam dunk. And it actually sounds like a hail mary.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I have been approved for business and personal 75K cards.

Does anyone know if I cosign for my 21 year old son, would that be considered another application by me and cause him not to be accepted? He would likely have a tough time getting the card on his own, being a college student with not much of a job, etc.
I've been wondering the same thing ... Anyone have success with an 18-21 y.o. student application using same household income?
Thx.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Well, I wasn't churning hard, but I did get the personal Visa in late February after having had it in the past.

At the time, I held a business Visa (opened December 2009) and had closed my MC and Amex in mid-November.
I have a single business Visa app for 75K pending. (Dreaded step 3 hold-up.) [...] Was planning to, and will, write it all up & post the summary once Citi makes a decision on my current app.
OK, here's how our latest round panned out.

Mrs. Beltway
Applied for: 75K Personal Visa & Amex (same day) in early August
Last prior app: Late May (pers Amex; denied on "first-time only" grounds)
Citi AA cards held at time of new app: Zero. Pers Visa (issued late October 2009) closed in late May; biz Visa (issued early January) closed 5 days before app.
Result: double denial 4 days later on "first-time only" grounds

Me, having observed this pattern & followed this thread
Applied for: 75K Biz Visa only, in first week of August
Last prior app: Late Feb. (pers Visa; instant approval)
Citi AA cards held at time of new app: Zero. Pers Visa (opened late Feb., as noted above) closed 4 days earlier. Biz Visa (opened mid-December 2009) closed 10 days earlier.
Result: After "step 3" delay, according to the phone system my card was approved 9 days later. Not yet in hand, though.

So in our case,
  • 9 months between personal cards (from wife's late October approval to August denial) wan't long enough
  • biz Visa appears very churnable, consistent with theories based on lack of "first-time" restriction in T&C

I am thinking the Mrs. should wait until late October & then apply for the biz Visa. That isn't a full 90 days past the 2 personal apps, but we timed this poorly & don't have another 90 days before the offer ends.

Also, since someone is bound to ask: I chose the 75K option over 50/50 because a) we also have new SPG biz Amex cards for which to cover the spend amount, b) like others, I am leery of not getting the second 50K after devoting so much spend, and c) I prefer having some flexibility (instead of committing 10, 20, or 30K in spend over the next year) for when the next great promo shows up suddenly.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat

Mrs. Beltway
Citi AA cards held at time of new app: Zero. Pers Visa (issued late October 2009) closed in late May; biz Visa (issued early January) closed 5 days before app.

Citi AA cards held at time of new app: Zero. Pers Visa (opened late Feb., as noted above) closed 4 days earlier. Biz Visa (opened mid-December 2009) closed 10 days earlier.
Result: After "step 3" delay, according to the phone system my card was approved 9 days later. Not yet in hand, though.

So in our case,
  • 9 months between personal cards (from wife's late October approval to August denial) wan't long enough
  • biz Visa appears very churnable, consistent with theories based on lack of "first-time" restriction in T&C

I am thinking the Mrs. should wait until late October & then apply for the biz Visa. That isn't a full 90 days past the 2 personal apps, but we timed this poorly & don't have another 90 days before the offer ends.

Also, since someone is bound to ask: I chose the 75K option over 50/50 because a) we also have new SPG biz Amex cards for which to cover the spend amount, b) like others, I am leery of not getting the second 50K after devoting so much spend, and c) I prefer having some flexibility (instead of committing 10, 20, or 30K in spend over the next year) for when the next great promo shows up suddenly.
Thanks for all the information.

I'm thinking that I'll apply for the Business near the end of October (to be over 90 days from when my current Business card was applied for).

Do you think that I need to cancel my current one or just use another business name? What do the T&C state specifically?

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:48 pm
Suspended

To further complicate and confuse

Me
Applied for: 75K Pers Visa in first week of August
Last prior app: June 2, 2010 - Business MC w/30k bonus- Approved
Citi AA cards held at time of new app: 2 - Pers MC opened spring 2008, Bus MC opened June 2 - both in heavy use
Result: Pers Visa approved instantly, in hand and using
Future plans: Applying for Bus Visa and Pers AMEX near end of promo period
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
rec'vd the business visa with a whopping $1,000 limit yesterday. Confirmed 75k bonus after $1500 spend. Which of course will take me at least 2 months with that huge credit limit. Recv'd the 30+5 personal card less than 2 months ago.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by jmw2323
rec'vd the business visa with a whopping $1,000 limit yesterday...
That ought to tell us what kind of "businesses" are being targeted.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmw2323
rec'vd the business visa with a whopping $1,000 limit yesterday. Confirmed 75k bonus after $1500 spend. Which of course will take me at least 2 months with that huge credit limit.
You can easily do it in under a month with coin purchases. Set up online payment and as soon as the coins arrive and the charge posts, pay it off and order again.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by swat16
I did have success changing my mileage offer but it's not real easy. Read my posts. The first is #561 on page 38 and #688 on page 46. PM me if you have any other questions. And I think it is real important to NOT activate the new card. They mentioned specifically checking to make sure I did not activate the card so it probably makes a difference. Good luck.
Thank you! I applied with the new offer and got an instant approval. Did you cancel your first card? I don't suppose I dare activating both.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by napilimom
Thank you! I applied with the new offer and got an instant approval. Did you cancel your first card? I don't suppose I dare activating both.
My situation was different. When I reapplied it was not instantly approved. They approved it only after they cancelled my first card. I activated the 75K card first and then tried the original card but it didn't work.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:20 pm

so what

Originally Posted by Stoughton
You can easily do it in under a month with coin purchases. Set up online payment and as soon as the coins arrive and the charge posts, pay it off and order again.
so what if it takes 2 months....following the above advise is the easiest way to get your card put under a freeze and review.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wise2u
so what if it takes 2 months....following the above advise is the easiest way to get your card put under a freeze and review.
Citi does reviews? The ONLY thing I've bought on my Business MC is coins. Not a word from Citi about it.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:42 pm

Mrs. Beltway

So in our case,

Thanks Beltway for sharing your datapoint.

Can I ask, did you get a targeted offer, or did you simply trust the posted links?

Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Citi does reviews? The ONLY thing I've bought on my Business MC is coins. Not a word from Citi about it.
Same with me... AMEX isn't a fan of my purchases, but Citi doesn't seem to mind. I've never put a single $.01 on my Citi cards other than coins.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: Any and All
testing

Last edited by MilesDavis11; Aug 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.