Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL KM, AA, AVIS First
Originally Posted by aktchi
Should you have an "Application ID" if you want to pursue this route?
I just called the number and you do need an "Application ID" to pursue this route, I never recieved one, and found out that this was becuase I was able to provide them with enough information for them to make a decision.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
With an ability to earn so many miles so easily, don't be surprised when AA changes how lifetime Gold/Platinum status is earned.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: No preference
this was the first thing i thought of too.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:19 pm

Advice???

I have had the AA Citibank MC for many years and I just received the AA VISA under the 30+5k promotion. Is there a Good Samaritan Flyertalker who can advise me how I can take advantage of the 50/50 or 75k offer without violating the 'past cardholder' prohibition? Many thanks for any words of wisdom...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by holocker
I had a personal Citi Visa in 2008 thru July 2009 and I had a Business Visa during 2007. I have never had a Citi AMX- but currently have a Costco and Starwood AMX.
I was wondering which if any of the promos I should apply for and have a chance of being approved for.
The Costco & Starwood AmEx's won't matter. They're from AmEx and this "AmEx" is from Citibank, just an AmEx logo.

Even if the business Visa in 2007 was an AA that's too far back to matter.

If the Citi Visa closed in July '09 was an AA card it might possibly prevent you. Tough to tell on that one. People are assuming 1 year is the max for exclusion but who knows. The business card has longer exclusions that may apply to previous personals. Only one way to find out.

If it were me I'd risk the very temporary 2 point credit hit to try. This many free tickets is worth it.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA, CO, UA, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CherylD
Hi, thank you for the info. May I ask if you had a prior Business Visa card? I had a business Amex and closed it last fall. I was hoping that I could jump at this offer for the business Visa - until I saw your posts.
No, it was a MC.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Should you have an "Application ID" if you want to pursue this route?
I'm guessing yes because they did ask for mine but shouldn't your SS# be sufficient?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: United 1P
Deleted.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by milesfromheaven
I have had the AA Citibank MC for many years and I just received the AA VISA under the 30+5k promotion. Is there a Good Samaritan Flyertalker who can advise me how I can take advantage of the 50/50 or 75k offer without violating the 'past cardholder' prohibition? Many thanks for any words of wisdom...
Same boat except that I am now wiser (maybe) with a failed personal app. I have had the AA MC for a few year, the AA Visa since late last year and applied/was declined for the 75K AA Amex with the reason that this is only for first time cardholders. I would suggest trying for the business card directly (assuming you have not had a business card before).
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Sucker came in the mail this week. Covered the $1.5K. How long after the bonus miles post must I wait to cancel this bad boy? Does Citi have a clawback provision similar to Chase?

Thanks much.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Sucker came in the mail this week. Covered the $1.5K. How long after the bonus miles post must I wait to cancel this bad boy? Does Citi have a clawback provision similar to Chase?

Thanks much.
Citi does not have a "clawback" provision with their AA cards (they do, however, have one that is aggressively enforced with their ThankYou cards). I know that Chase is known to have a 6 month provision in their cards, but I can't seem to even find that in their terms anymore. (It used to be prominently displayed.)

I'd suggest keeping it open until you've had it 11 months or so. Then cancel it right before the annual fee posts. Since you really can't "churn" these cards anymore, there is really no reason to cancel ASAP since you can't get another card until at least 18 months have passed (or "never" according to the official policy).
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA; USairways; United; British Air
Originally Posted by learningtime
Same boat except that I am now wiser (maybe) with a failed personal app. I have had the AA MC for a few year, the AA Visa since late last year and applied/was declined for the 75K AA Amex with the reason that this is only for first time cardholders. I would suggest trying for the business card directly (assuming you have not had a business card before).
Do you think that failed personal app will affect their consideration on the app for a biz card? Just asking because I also just got that decline email because I had a MC with 25K last year that I cancelled - over 6 months ago! Yet they still track you on all that. What's to prevent them declining you again for a biz card for the same reason? Has anyone actually every been approved for a biz card that was declined for too many personal card histories?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
Is there anyway around the 100,000 and 150,000 limit for earning miles per year? besides having elite status?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by popot53
Is there anyway around the 100,000 and 150,000 limit for earning miles per year? besides having elite status?
No.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by popot53
Are you referring to this? Seems if your are AAdvantage elite level, you are excluded from these limits. See below.

The maximum number of American Airlines AAdvantage® miles you earn from purchases using the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® and the Citi Select® / AAdvantage® American Express® card is 100,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year and 150,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year with the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card. AAdvantage® bonus miles are excluded from this mileage cap. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members are excluded from these limits. AAdvantage® miles are only earned on eligible purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.