Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by brown123
Yeah, that's what I figured....Can you clarify the AMEX personal card - I know typical AMEX cards (Gold/Black) you have to pay off completely each month to avoid fees. Post #2 says it's not related to AMEX credit but is it the same type of card, i.e. I have to pay off balance within a month to avoid those AMEX-type fees?

Thanks...I really appreciate the noob hand holding!
No - it's a regular CitiBank credit card. You don't have to pay it of in full but you will be charged interest like on any other CC on balance remaining.
Thus - don't charge the $4000 all at once if you cannot pay it off all at once; or be prepared to pay the stated monthly charges. You can take as long as you wish to pay it off (with min. monthly payments) but be prepared for the interest charges.
I hope this helps.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
What do you think?

Do you not understand plain English?
Your name is misleading
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
No - it's a regular CitiBank credit card. You don't have to pay it of in full but you will be charged interest like on any other CC on balance remaining.
Thus - don't charge the $4000 all at once if you cannot pay it off all at once; or be prepared to pay the stated monthly charges. You can take as long as you wish to pay it off (with min. monthly payments) but be prepared for the interest charges.
I hope this helps.
This does help and I am also from SF. People in SF definitely are nicer
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Yeah, that's what I figured....Can you clarify the AMEX personal card - I know typical AMEX cards (Gold/Black) you have to pay off completely each month to avoid fees. Post #2 says it's not related to AMEX credit but is it the same type of card, i.e. I have to pay off balance within a month to avoid those AMEX-type fees?

It's more of a spoon feeding. Most of what you asked would have been answered if you'd taken 5 min to read the #2 post
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
^ I guess folks think that having "read Post #2 first" in the title is just random?!

But be sure to add these cautions:

Post #2 is not suitable for children under age 3

Post #2 may react with certain types of skin.

Do not taunt Post #2.

Seek immediate medical attention if you experience Post #2 for longer than 4 hours.
Post #2: NSFW
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:26 pm

AA miles already posted

Originally Posted by hinese
I reached the 4k spend requirement a week ago, so the clock is ticking on the 8-10 weeks for the miles to post. I've had them post quicker than that in the past though.

Question...has anyone who applied recently (May-July) had their bonus miles post yet? I called upon activation and confirmed the 75k mile promo, but won't be 100% confident until they post.
Hinese,

My mother, father, and sister all got their cards in either late May or early June. Each one of them has made the spend and had their miles post already. All of them got both personal cards and the miles have posted for both cards for all 3 of them, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your name is misleading
I am just happy not to deal with people with not much above their shoulders nor those abuse others generosity.

Originally Posted by Stoughton
It's more of a spoon feeding. Most of what you asked would have been answered if you'd taken 5 min to read the #2 post
And he thought he was being funny. Not.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am just happy not to deal with people with not much above their shoulders nor those abuse others generosity.

And he thought he was being funny. Not.
Lol yes you are the king of generosity / determining what is truly funny...Carry on, Flyertalk sensei......

Thanks for everyones help, including Mr. Happy
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:44 pm

Guys

I read post 2 which shows the offers but says - Confirmed to work as of this edit, but DOES NOT have a usable offer page.

I know I'm terribly late to the party but can I sign up for these cards at this time and expect to get the 75k miles?

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=lwildernorva;16846421Happy misunderstood nothing. You misunderstand how the system works. Each credit inquiry dings your credit several points; therefore, it makes no sense to make a useless credit inquiry solely to see your credit score go down.
[/QUOTE]

1. No guy its you who seems to misunderstand. I fully understand how the system works. I have been on this board since 06 about 4 years longer than yourself. I understand quite well about a credit pull.

For the FINAL time HAPPY misunderstood what I was asking. I can see why.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva;16846421down.

It does not matter whether the Citi cards are or are not on your credit report [I
for the purpose of applying for these cards[/I]. Citi has a record of your card; they're not looking at your credit report to learn information that's already in their records. They look at your credit report to see what credit inquiries you have with other lenders.
2. Maybe or ...maybe not When I talked to the CR he told me that according to my "credit report" I had the card before and gave me the year.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The fact that you have had a card with Citi may help you in some ways if you have a good history with Citi; they may view you as a valued customer. But valued customer or not, for the purposes of the Citi AA bonus card offers, the following information from post #2 still applies, "If you have had an AA card long term (18-24 months to be safe) without churning, reports are you'll get approved."
3. F.Y.I. I have had a CitiCard without churning for 5 years so your statement below about me taking a long shot are really grounded in nothing but sarcasm and maybe trying to act a little bit smarter than you are. Maybe ???

The posts throughout this thread have established this rough rule and have generally shown that applications made in a shorter time frame will be rejected because Citi dose not consider you a "first-time cardholder." As Happy noted, you took a long-shot chance; it didn't work out. You can learn something from that or you can .

4. Same applies to this statement

Yes. Leave a dollar under the pillow for the credit fairy.

Happy thank you for clearing that up about the 10 year period.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rover4618
Happy thank you for clearing that up about the 10 year period.
You are welcome.

Your original question is not very clear to me and the others - hence the misunderstanding.

I read your 2nd question and started to realize you asked about the accounts themselves - because you were under the notion that if those accounts were off your report, Citi would not see them and you would not be dinged for the first timer clause...

Any accounts with credit extension - be it credit cards, car loans, mortgages, home equity line,... stay on your report for at least 10 years. Sometimes longer.

No, Citi does not look at your credit report details to determine your "existing/previous customer" status. Citi has an internal roster which we GUESS, is kept for 18 to 24 months on a rolling basis. There is no other way but to wait for your name / SSN falling off that roster before you are "new" customer again.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:40 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
How long is too long to ask for reconsideration?

I applied for the Visa and Amex for myself in early July, got instant approval for Visa and rejection for Amex. Then 7-10 days later, both cards showed up in the mail.

Applied for the Mr. July 20. He got instant approval for Visa and rejection for Amex. ? days later, only Visa showed up. Since then, life has hit the fan and I haven't had a good time to coach him through his phone call to ask them to reconsider.

Has it been too long? Any negative to asking them to reconsider 2 weeks after they said no?

thanks.

Anita

PS - I worship Post #2. Even if we don't get the Amex for him, we're at 225K between the 3 we got, and still have a shot at the business cards coming up in another month or two.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys

I read post 2 which shows the offers but says - Confirmed to work as of this edit, but DOES NOT have a usable offer page.

I know I'm terribly late to the party but can I sign up for these cards at this time and expect to get the 75k miles?

Thanks
From the illustrious post #2:

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THESE OFFERS, SEARCH THE THREAD FOR THE ANSWER (IT'S THERE) OR SEND ME A PM.
8. ALL applications have no mention of the offer you are applying for, have faith it is correct. If you lack faith, you can confirm with a CSR after you apply using the above number.
No one here can give an ironclad guarantee there won't be any problems but the community continues to report it works. My philosophy is: no guts, no glory. Only you can decide to weigh the risk/benefits of applying in your situation.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:31 pm

Churned the AA cards 3 X 30K. No card for at least 9 months. Applied Sunday when system was down (unfortunately) for Visa & Amex. Have heard nada. Credit score pushing 800. No recent inquiries. Is the system still down ? wj
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Lol yes you are the king of generosity / determining what is truly funny...Carry on, Flyertalk sensei......

Thanks for everyones help, including Mr. Happy
Let me give you two good pieces of advice--applicable to any forum but especially here.

First, read the first two or three and the last two or three pages of any long thread, such as this one. The first two or three give you a general sense of a deal, including, as in this one, valuable links. Since you clearly didn't do that here, I figured this advice might be helpful.

The second piece of advice applies to anyone who has spent more than 45 seconds on a forum. Figure that in any community, in the real world or online, the folks who have been in the community for awhile pretty quickly figure out the newcomers who aren't worth their time and attention. Spend some time looking around FT; you'll see some folks, some even in the past six months, who have posted frequently but with very little worth and who were eventually ignored. Bueller, Bueller, Igor, Igor. . . Don't be that guy.

Then pay attention to the folks who've been here for awhile. I may not agree with everything anyone with 5000 or 10,000 posts says, but that's natural--we all have our different personalities, experiences, and world views.

But, I don't blow them off. I don't casually dismiss their points of view or even their attitudes. And given that you clearly didn't spend 60 seconds of your precious time looking at very detailed information in post #2 that might have answered all of your elementary questions, I would say your chances of getting help in the future obviously improve the more you pay attention to those who've been here for awhile and who might possibly have some advice you might find helpful and the less you spend dreaming up witty repartee.

And, if you'd spent some of that time, you might even have figured out that Happy is a woman. And that she has helped a number of people. And that she doesn't suffer fools gladly.

As I said, don't be that guy. . .

Last edited by lwildernorva; Aug 3, 2011 at 7:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.