Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by msc75
I got a FICO of 783, two existing cards with 30K credit line 99% unutilized, long credit history, only one inquiry past 12 months, no derogatories, sizeable household income, several years history at both current job and address. I never had a Citi card before. Anyone familiar with the innerworkings of Citi have a theory of why they don't like me?
If I had to guess, it might be how few credit cards you currently have open and possibly how small your utilization is. There are stories here (or on creditboards?) of people who have some trouble getting approved because there is too little breadth/depth of recent usage on their reports.

It sounds like you might have a good case for reconsideration if they end up denying you. Patience.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by honmani2
Per post #2 I applied for two cards, one AmEx and one Visa personal cards. If I call Citi, they will be able to tell me if it's the 75K bonus cards? After all, as cited in #2, the promotion is not mentioned at all.
Guessing since you're 1K and 2000+ posts, that this is a joke?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:39 pm

Would someone explain to me why we wait to apply for the business card? If you only applied for one personal card, can you apply for the business card right away?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618
I applied for the 2 cards and was denied because of the first time card holder T&C.

On the phone I played dumb like I did not remember having these cards before and the rep I spoke to said according to my credit report I had x card in this year and y card in that year. I knew it was over then and said O.K..

Is there anyway to get these off my credit report or do they fall off in time ???
Originally Posted by Happy
You took the chance that was slim to non-existent to begin with. And that is the fully expected outcome.

The inquiries will fall off 2 years from the date they first appear. There is no any other way.
Thanks, HAPPY & travelerjim, Just ordered my yearly report and requested to have the hard copy mailed as HAPPY suggested.

I'm confused I got my free credit report from all 3 agencies.

#1. The free reports do not give you your credit score that you have to pay
for. They just show everything that is reported to the inquirer on your
credit history.

#2. HAPPY .. Maybe you misunderstood me. My question was is there anyway to get the information off of my credit report that I had these citibank cards in the past.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Clobber
Would someone explain to me why we wait to apply for the business card? If you only applied for one personal card, can you apply for the business card right away?
Did you come anywhere close to reading all of post #2 which clearly states: "You can get approved for 1 personal card and 1 business card applying in any timeframe." Go back and read post #2 to see why you apply for two personal cards at one time and then a business card (roughly) 65 days later.

Unless, of course, you're satisfied getting 150K AA miles when you could have gotten 225K.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Oh FFS.....
Had a feeling it would strike a nerve.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

credit history.

#2. HAPPY .. Maybe you misunderstood me. My question was is there anyway to get the information off of my credit report that I had these citibank cards in the past.
Yes. Leave a dollar under the pillow for the credit fairy.

Happy misunderstood nothing. You misunderstand how the system works. Each credit inquiry dings your credit several points; therefore, it makes no sense to make a useless credit inquiry solely to see your credit score go down.

It does not matter whether the Citi cards are or are not on your credit report for the purpose of applying for these cards. Citi has a record of your card; they're not looking at your credit report to learn information that's already in their records. They look at your credit report to see what credit inquiries you have with other lenders.

The fact that you have had a card with Citi may help you in some ways if you have a good history with Citi; they may view you as a valued customer. But valued customer or not, for the purposes of the Citi AA bonus card offers, the following information from post #2 still applies, "If you have had an AA card long term (18-24 months to be safe) without churning, reports are you'll get approved."

The posts throughout this thread have established this rough rule and have generally shown that applications made in a shorter time frame will be rejected because Citi dose not consider you a "first-time cardholder." As Happy noted, you took a long-shot chance; it didn't work out. You can learn something from that or you can .
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:34 pm

So between the 2 offers, one could get 150k miles total? Sorry, noob question.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by brown123
So between the 2 offers, one could get 150k miles total? Sorry, noob question.
See the advice in the thread title, "read post #2 first"? Amazingly, if you do that, you might discover that you could get as much as 225K (or more). And more amazingly, post #2 provides detailed instructions on just how to do that.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

credit history.

May be you need to go to creditboards.com to do some reading so you would understand how credit reports work?

The account information stay on your report for TEN YEARS if this is what you are asking. And No, there is no way for you to get the information off. If there is, would you not think everyone has done it already? Or put it the other way, if so, what is the value of the credit report, especially to the banks to evaluate your creditworthiness?

Besides, it does not matter whether they are on your credit report or not - Citi has its own internal records that you would still not be its first time customer of the AA cards until its internal records drop your name off.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msc75
Why, if I get denied for one can't I apply for the other? I thought the multiple applications thing would only apply if I have one pending or already approved. I read #2 before I applied and it was very helpful, but in my situation all I want is one personal card.
You could still do 2 applications and just meet one card's spend requirement and let the other lapse - but at least you have 2 opportunities instead of 1. Kind of moot point now.

[OT language removed]

Last edited by philemer; Aug 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm Reason: OT language
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:23 pm

So you'd have to spend $1.5k + $1.5k + $4k for 225k miles? Is this correct.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:24 pm

So you'd have to spend $1.5k + $1.5k + $4k for 225k miles? Is this correct.
Correct.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Correct.
So if I get approved for card, immediately charge 1.5k to it, will I get the point immediately ?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:54 pm

So if I get approved for card, immediately charge 1.5k to it, will I get the point immediately ?
You will get the point only after you read post #2. (Hint: see item 11 in post #2.)

Post #2 will remove stains from your carpet.

Post #2 will shave pennies off your heating bill.

Post #2 never needs winding.

In closing, don't just read post #2. Read it; understand it; and prosper as a result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.