Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: Lotz
Does closing down an old CC really affect credit scores? I thought they stayed on your record for a certain number of years.

I have a 12-year-old Citi Bronze Master that just sits open at zero balance that I'd love to replace with one of these babies. My credit includes a mortgage I've had for 30 years now (almost paid off) but also a lot of credit union loan history that doesn't show on credit reports so my average length of CC is low (5 years) while my TransUnion score stays around 780.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Does closing down an old CC really affect credit scores? I thought they stayed on your record for a certain number of years.

I have a 12-year-old Citi Bronze Master that just sits open at zero balance that I'd love to replace with one of these babies. My credit includes a mortgage I've had for 30 years now (almost paid off) but also a lot of credit union loan history that doesn't show on credit reports so my average length of CC is low (5 years) while my TransUnion score stays around 780.
What are you waiting for? Jump in, the water is warm. APPLY!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Oh, I never do a late payment as I process them via my bank's online billpay feature as soon as I get the statement via e-mail. If I get a $1000 statement on card A for the July bill, I'll process payment for $500 for that card to be paid the very next day via online bill pay and setup the remainder for the next month. During that time I don't use that card.
You can continue to use the card without any finance charge as long as you pay your statement balance in full On or Before the due date, the accrued interests are WAIVED so you would not incur finance charge - despite you use the card or not in the interim.

The way the finance charge (interest) works - you incur that IMMEDIATELY you use your card because you are essentially "borrow" money from the card issuer who agree to "finance" your purchase until the payment comes due after each billing cycle. In order to entice you to charge on the card, especially for those who have enough cash to pay upfront, such ACCRUED Interests are WAIVED when you make a full payment of PRIOR Statement balance by the payment due date.

It is the Due Date of Payment that matters though in most cases the due date would fall on next month. There is no need to pay a partial payment before the due date and it would not help you IF you miss the balance of payment by the due date - you would still incur finance charge on ALL charges made during the prior billing cycle.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MoorishIdol
Yep, I got the official denial late yesterday evening, for not being a first-time card holder:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you previously had a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account
with us.

I'm sure this message is headed my way too. The automated phone system already said I was denied. When I get the letter that you got, I'm going to call and pitch a fit. I applied for the Amex via the 75k offer. They seem to be rejecting people for not being first time card holders when in fact that is NOT what the T&C's of the offer say. They say that the offer is valid only for "new accounts", which this would be (I've never had the Amex before). In fact I would NOT have applied if the T&C's had said that the offer was only for first time card holders. They are adhering to a different set of T&C's than what's posted with the offer.. and that ain't right.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
I applied and didnt' get instant approval but got an email this morning saying that they need to verify a phone or utility bill. I should be all set after that right?

That's my hope!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Wife has Aadvantage mastercard for 10 yrs. Applied for Amex. Accodring to the automated system info, she has been approved. Hopefully the card arrives. Will then call to confirm the 75k miles.

I applied for the 75k business card and still waiting to hear. Recv'd a personal card recently via 35k offer.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by swat16
What are you waiting for? Jump in, the water is warm. APPLY!
I did jump in in May for 2 AA's and stupidly put in for a 3rd which got denied July 17 as a present AA holder. I closed the 2 May ones and am trying to arrange my Citi status for best shot in a few weeks. Closing the 12 year old Bronze AA Master would be the next step. Probably a long shot anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, WN, IC AMB
My wife has the Citi Advantage Master Card. I've piggy backed on her account and they've issued, in my name, a Citi Advantage AmEx. Would I be disqualified?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by deant
No one knows how the Citi system works.
Haha, you can say that again. Just gave them a call. Apparently the Amex (which didn't get past the 3rd step) was approved, but the Visa (which I got to the last step with a reference number) needs address verification. I put the same address on both (to which I just moved, so understandable), so it's very strange that one would need the verification while the other doesn't. Even the CS rep said it was weird, even after asking the 'higher-ups'.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meixner007
My wife has the Citi Advantage Master Card. I've piggy backed on her account and they've issued, in my name, a Citi Advantage AmEx. Would I be disqualified?
If you never are a primary cardholder on any Citi AA card, you definitely qualify as long as your credit profile passes Citi's risk assessment.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Business approved with < $5k and no EIN.

For whatever it's worth, my wife who'd had the Citi/AA personal visa card until fall of 09 was approved for an Citi/AA business visa.

High INQ's, good credit scores and debt picture, but the big one here was that they granted the card with a legitimate business with < $5k income per year but with no EIN. She set this up and I forgotten until we applied that she never did get an EIN. We should do that for other reasons.

Anyway, it appears that Citi's not too strict about qualifying businesses if the personal picture looks good.

As this thread makes obvious, there are no hard and fast rules at Citi (though a few seem to come close), just varying strength plus and minus factors.

We went for the 100k/$10k offer on this one but I don't think it matters. In retrospect, I wish we'd done the 75k for her. Oh well.

Thanks Citi!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmw2323
Wife has Aadvantage mastercard for 10 yrs. Applied for Amex. Accodring to the automated system info, she has been approved. Hopefully the card arrives. Will then call to confirm the 75k miles.

I applied for the 75k business card and still waiting to hear. Recv'd a personal card recently via 35k offer.
Could you verify that your wife has never received any of the sign up bonuses Citi gave on the AA cards in the past few years (between 2006 to 2010 when the sign up bonuses started from 20 to 25 to 30 to 35 and the current one)?

This may tell how Citi make up the list(s) for screening of "existing cardholders".
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:58 am

The 75K offer

I have read through the entire thread and since I have just joined AA, I would like to get the 75K credit card that is offered however I have called all the phone numbers list here in this thread and no one at either AA or Citi knows about this offer. They all offer the same 30K credit card offer.

Since I have just signed up for AA, I would assume that it would take a long time if ever for me to be targeted for this type of credit card offer.

I have followed some of the links posted however none of the application state the amount of bonus miles and when I talked to both customer service and reward programs, both of the agents told me that it would be the normal 30K program.

My question is, has anyone who did not receive a e-mail with 75K offer found a way to get this offer.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboJ
I'm sure this message is headed my way too. The automated phone system already said I was denied. When I get the letter that you got, I'm going to call and pitch a fit. I applied for the Amex via the 75k offer. They seem to be rejecting people for not being first time card holders when in fact that is NOT what the T&C's of the offer say. They say that the offer is valid only for "new accounts", which this would be (I've never had the Amex before). In fact I would NOT have applied if the T&C's had said that the offer was only for first time card holders. They are adhering to a different set of T&C's than what's posted with the offer.. and that ain't right.
If you have read the long running thread in the Other Credit Card forum, you would know that the language does not matter.

Please do update the thread the outcome when you call to "pitch a fit." We would love to hear successful story on this scenario.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
Could you verify that your wife has never received any of the sign up bonuses Citi gave on the AA cards in the past few years (between 2006 to 2010 when the sign up bonuses started from 20 to 25 to 30 to 35 and the current one)?

This may tell how Citi make up the list(s) for screening of "existing cardholders".
I've gotten 30's off AA MC and AA Bus MC, both in the past 2 years.

My new AA Sig Visa is on it's way

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.