Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by koroleon
First time Citi AA user. I just applied for the 100k personal visa and didn't get instant approval. Supposedly I'll get a decision by email within a week. I want to do the 75k amex as well. Is it better or worse to apply for it today? Maybe I should wait for the decision on the visa? I got the SPG amex just 30 days ago and I'm afraid that my chances on instant approval for the AA Amex are low.
I got the SPG Amex personal and business within the past month and was approved for the Citi AA Amex instantly. I did not get instant approval for the Visa. My wife also got both the personal and business SPG cards in the past month and was approved instantly for the Citi AA Visa and AMEX.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I would greatly appreciate some simple basic info:

1. Can one apply for 75K or 100K cards without having received an invitation, and thus without an invitation number?

2. If possible to apply without invitation, what is URL for the application?

3. If possible to apply without invitation, what is the phone number to apply?

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Sorry, I asked them and the apps for the two prior were in mid-May although not used until June. So it's just one app in last 60 days. I plan to cancel those two tomorrow and as part of the retention discussion ask about getting the Visa which I've never had. I'll only do a new app if they sound encouraging. Otherwise I'll wait.
See post 397 and post 399 - the data points are just the latest among previous reported same scenario which the common theme is, previous cardholder, no difference whether AA card remains open or close a few months ago.

Sure, there is always lucky cases where the previous customer status does not matter - but it is more like "getting lucky" then it is the norm.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by eagleswings
FYI. If you are curious on how your credit looks like, Equifax is offering a free 3-in-1 Credit Report with Score for Free ($39.95 value) when you enter code ESA3BSF during checkout. I got this from SD.

Hope that helps..
This code no longer works. They shut it down. It has worked for some, but phone reps for that company are stopping the use of this when people try to call in to get it to work when they had trouble online. Must have been a very short promotion. I tried and it said "code not found".
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
I would greatly appreciate some simple basic info:

1. Can one apply for 75K or 100K cards without having received an invitation, and thus without an invitation number?

2. If possible to apply without invitation, what is URL for the application?

3. If possible to apply without invitation, what is the phone number to apply?

Thanks!
All the questions are answered in this thread - yes on 1. you just need to scroll back some pages to find the links, especially the 2, or spend some time to read pages dated between July 29 to July 30 - the useful data points are largely posted in that period.

As for 3. It seems all are online application forms, not over the phone.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 2, 2010 at 9:07 am
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swat16
I applied just last week for the 30+5 AA card. I was two days late for the 75K or 50+50 offer. I received my card on Sat. I have never had an AA card in my life. So I called customer service three times and after finally getting a rep stateside that understood my question she told me the following. She said I could fax a letter and a copy of the offer to customer service and see what they can do. She said she wouldn't promise anything. She said it could take 30 days too. Anyone ever have experience with this?

On the following day last week I applied fir the business card for 35K which is still under review. After speaking to the customer service twice about that I was advised since a decision has not been made yet I could cancel my application and be eligible if I reapply under the 75K link. So I canceled my application and I will wait until the beginning of Oct to apply for the biz card.
Good luck on the personal card. Hope you get it because it is a reasonable request.

Smart decision on the business card. Definitely need to wait 90 days from the date of your now canceled application.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:02 am

I am sorry if it no longer works. Both Mr. and I tried to use it last night and the code still worked. I thought it would still work this morning.

Originally Posted by Churnman
This code no longer works. They shut it down. It has worked for some, but phone reps for that company are stopping the use of this when people try to call in to get it to work when they had trouble online. Must have been a very short promotion. I tried and it said "code not found".
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Applied last night...was very surprised to get a "we need some time to process your app, please call us for an instant decision." since my credit score is over 800.

Called, and was told the only reason why I was not approved instantly was because I currently have another Citi card (non-AA) with a decent sized credit limit. They were only willing to approve me 5K limit on the AA in addition to my current Citi non-AA card credit limit. They wanted to know if I wanted a higher limit on the AA card and if so, they could move the credit from my non-AA to AA.

Did it, and was told I'd receive my new card within 7 days. Rep also confirmed the 75K promo
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: AS, HHonors Gold, SPG
I thought I'd report my experience.

I applied for both the personal AMEX and VISA simultaneously this morning, using two separate browsers, but only made it to Step 3. So I'm not too hopeful.

Background:

I had recieved all three personal cards late last year and cancelled all three after receiving the bonuses, earlier this year. So all my accounts have been closed approximately 6 months.

So it would appear that they are keeping with the "New Accounts Only", at least for me. Maybe I'll get a manual approval, but I'm not holding my breath. I might apply for the business VISA in Oct before it expires.

I'll post the outcome. . . .
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:27 pm

Citi More Harsh Now Than Chase and AX?

It seems that Citi has just become more harsh than Chase or AX is now or ever was. Chase will give you the UA card again and the first year free if part of the offer even if they refuse to give you sign up bonus miles again. It appears Citi will not even let you have the AAdvantage card again for a year or more after you cancel it. Chase still gives you a bonus for different versions of the UA Visa card - signature, gold, etc. - but Citi will let you have only one of V, MC or AX on the AAdvantage card. AX will give you the incremental bonus for the same card you had before and give you the first year free again if part of the offer for the new card.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:52 pm

Most people only apply for these cards because of the bonuses though, right? If I didn't qualify for the bonus, I wouldn't want to bother owning the card. I wouldn't mind that Citi refuses to give out the card.

I applied for the Visa and American Express cards on this promotion on Friday. I was instantly approved, and received two confirmation e-mails this morning. I only currently have the Citi AA MC (Bronze), so this seems relatively consistent with what others are reporting.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by dldkjones
It seems that Citi has just become more harsh than Chase or AX is now or ever was. Chase will give you the UA card again and the first year free if part of the offer even if they refuse to give you sign up bonus miles again. It appears Citi will not even let you have the AAdvantage card again for a year or more after you cancel it. Chase still gives you a bonus for different versions of the UA Visa card - signature, gold, etc. - but Citi will let you have only one of V, MC or AX on the AAdvantage card. AX will give you the incremental bonus for the same card you had before and give you the first year free again if part of the offer for the new card.
Maybe its b/c their systems are set up such that if you do get a physical card you will get the bonus. Their mainframe system maybe programmed so complicated while it maybe easier at Chase. If you want an AA credit card to use, open a TYP card and then convert it.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:29 pm

for a current citi aa plat visa and aa visa biz holder -

better to cancel both, wait a little, then apply for 75/75

or

keep both open and apply for new ones ?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by dldkjones
It seems that Citi has just become more harsh than Chase or AX is now or ever was.
To the extent this is true, it cannot last. Citi is sitting on way too many AA miles to be so choosy about issuing cards. Yes, I can see them following Chase & refusing to grant repeat bonuses, but denying accounts entirely to qualiied applicants seems like a self-defeating strategy.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Yes Citi is becoming very unfriendly. I signed up for the business card as I havent had one in years (if ever) but got denied citing "too many applications for credit" (BS). When I called I was told that its becuase I have a Citi AA card (true) and when I asked if I were to cancel it how long does it take for me to apply so to recieve the bonus, CSR told me 18 months. Huh?

Obviously YMMV on this one also because two weeks ago (I know, perfect timing) mrs. psyflyer was approved and got a citi business card and she has had many different citi cards in the recent past. Last one was canceled not more than 6 months ago, so go figure. On top of that we are very creditworthy, very good credit score, own multiple houses none of them with any mortgages, pretty long credit history (10yrs). Citi has lost my business for a while (not just chump change either) and Amex will be gaining bcs of Citi's policies. Amex OTH (which used to be a stickler for sign-up bonsues) has given us in the past 12 months alone 50k Delta miles, and 110k SPG points. Go AMEX ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.