Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:51 pm

Amex or visa

Does it make a big difference whether you apply for the visa or Amex? I would think Amex would be better for your credit report if you have an old Amex as they use the oldest date. I do have a Costco Amex and spg Amex? Is that too many for Amex?

Thanks

Jim
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimlenz
Does it make a big difference whether you apply for the visa or Amex? I would think Amex would be better for your credit report if you have an old Amex as they use the oldest date. I do have a Costco Amex and spg Amex? Is that too many for Amex?

Thanks

Jim
Are you sure your credit score isn't calculated (in part) by the average age of all your cards?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: Lotz

Thanks

Jim
It's really not an AmEx AmEx; it's a CitiBank card with AmEx logo. And with the 2 SPG's I now have 3 real AmEx AmEx's.

I phoned and CSR explained that since I had just gotten 2 Citi AA's last month, I need to wait 60 days from those apps to get this card and promo. So it seems the 2 cards and promos in 60 days rule is true- or else the CSR reads FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
I've never had the citi aadvantage CC before. I did not receive the email. I signed up for the 50/100k promo link on Gary's blog. I did the Visa and Visa business applications back to back. Got instantly approved for both. Called citi and both cards are confirmed for the 50/100k promo. Sweeet!!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
The boyfriend got the 50K/100K offer. Instead, he applied for the 75K personal visa and the 75K personal amex. He never had an AA Citi card of any kind previously. Was approved for both without having to call. Will wait to see if both card received and, if so, if 2 promo bonuses post.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
I am thinking about doing 50/50 perso + 75K business
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Are you sure your credit score isn't calculated (in part) by the average age of all your cards?
You are right it is. It is my understanding Amex uses the date of your oldest card for all cards. In essence minebis 1988 which is much better than a new card in 2010
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AMEX Gold MR into Avios, MileagePlus; AAdvantage; Skypesos
Originally Posted by Happy
I start to have a hypothesis that most folks received the email solicitations may have low balance in their AA accounts. May be this is one of the criteria in making the solicitation list...

This has been Citi's characteristics from Day One. Long time ago I called about a Citi card (not AAdvantage) that offers bonus to new customers but nada for existing customers, I was told out right by a manager that Citi considers that is marketing cost - since you are already existing customer there is no need to spend to attract you to use their products. They are aiming for market shares.
I'm crossing my fingers that you're right. I have 500 miles on my AAcount and haven't receive nothing yet,,,I have until 10/31...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by flyaaah
I'm crossing my fingers that you're right. I have 500 miles on my AAcount and haven't receive nothing yet,,,I have until 10/31...
I have around 200K in my account and received the 50+50 offer.
Also you can apply using the links found in this thread. THIS IS NOT A TARGETED OFFER
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right it is. It is my understanding Amex uses the date of your oldest card for all cards. In essence minebis 1988 which is much better than a new card in 2010
The Citi AMEX has nothing to do with AMEX AMEX which is the "Real" AMEX and the one that shows Member Since, with the oldest date.

The Citi AMEX cards are the products of a Court Victory of Antitrust litigation brought by US Dept of Justice.

Brief history as below:

Non-proprietary cards

Until 2004, Visa and MasterCard rules prohibited issuers of their cards from issuing American Express cards in the United States. This meant, as a practical matter, that U.S. banks could not issue American Express cards. These rules were struck down as a result of antitrust litigation brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, and are no longer in effect. In January 2004, American Express reached a deal to have its cards issued by a U.S. bank, MBNA America. Initially decried by MasterCard executives as nothing but an "experiment", these cards were released in October 2004. Some said that the relationship was going to be threatened by MBNA's merger with Bank of America, a major Visa issuer and original developer of Visa. However, an agreement was reached between American Express and Bank of America on December 21, 2005. Under the terms of the agreement, Bank of America will own the customer loans and American Express will process the transactions. Also, American Express will dismiss Bank of America from its antitrust litigation against Visa, MasterCard, and a number of U.S. banks. Finally, both Bank of America and American Express also said an existing card-issuing partnership between MBNA and American Express will continue after the Bank of America-MBNA merger. The first card from the partnership, the no-annual-fee Bank of America Rewards American Express card, was released on June 30, 2006.

Since then, Citibank, GE Money, and USAA have also started issuing American Express cards. Citibank currently issues several American Express cards including an American Airlines AAdvantage co-branded card. In early 2006[26] Amex issued Dillard's American Express card in joint cooperation with GE Money, however, in Mar 2008[27] GE sold its card unit to Amex for $1.1bn in cash only deal. HSBC Bank USA is currently testing both HSBC-branded and Neiman Marcus co-branded American Express rewards credit cards, with a full rollout scheduled for late 2007 or early 2008. Also, UBS launched its Resource Card program for US Wealth Management clients issuing Visa Signature credit cards and American Express charge cards linked to their customers accounts and employing a single rewards program for the two cards.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 30, 2010 at 7:57 pm
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Gold MR into Avios, MileagePlus; AAdvantage; Skypesos
Originally Posted by david-alexis
I have around 200K in my account and received the 50+50 offer.
Also you can apply using the links found in this thread. THIS IS NOT A TARGETED OFFER
caps OK...I'M NOT LOOKING INTO APPLYING NOW
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
My wife and I had been churners of the personal card last year. She has been receiving e-mails about the BUSINESS Citi card. I, on the other hand have not. Based on this, she decided to apply for the business card. Received the "wait and see" reply. The good news is that they did do a credit pull so they are at least processing the application (whereas you don't even get a credit pull if they deny you for already having the card).

Will call in a day or two to see if she got approved. Can only hope.

Will let everyone know the outcome.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Applied for 2 cards with the 75K link. Not instant. Called the CS # and got 2 approvals. Confirmed that both have 75K. Even if I get one bonus, I am happy. Never had Citi AA card before.

Credit score around 740.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
pull or no pull?

Originally Posted by deant
... The good news is that they did do a credit pull so they are at least processing the application (whereas you don't even get a credit pull if they deny you for already having the card).
Interesting, is that an accepted fact? It is a big point. Some of us, (repeat customers) , who fear being turned down, don't want a credit pull and no card. If a turn down, does not generate a hard pull, I'd be more inclined to go for it.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles
Interesting, is that an accepted fact? It is a big point. Some of us, (repeat customers) , who fear being turned down, don't want a credit pull and no card. If a turn down, does not generate a hard pull, I'd be more inclined to go for it.
I applied on the 27th for a Citi AA MC personal card. Pull shows on that date from Citibank in my credit report inquiries. Was approved.

I applied on 29th for a Citi AA Visa business card. Pull shows on that date from Citibank in my credit report inquiries. Still pending.

So i guess this means i didn't get turned down due to being a previous cardholder, since i got two pulls (the app on the 27th was my first Citi card).

Interesting they did 2 hard pulls, even though the dates were only 2 days apart.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.