[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Subscribe
It looks like I was e-mailed the 75K offer.

I used to churn a whole bunch, but stopped end of last year when they really started cracking down, and implemented that 'new account holders only policy'.

Gave it a final crack in March, and turned down for having AAdvantage cards in the past.

I had pretty much given up on applying for any more AAdvantage cards (well at least for a year or 2), but, seeing this offer sitting in my inbox just can't be ignored.

Would be aggravating of course to respond to an offer 'they' send me (well technically it's AA, not Citi), but, then be turned down again. But who knows if I can make a case for this or not in the event I am turned down (i.e. 'hey, you guys invited me with this offer, I replied. If you don't want me, stop sending me offers')

At any rate, if it turns out that Citi is loosening it's policy on the 'new card holders only' policy, and I get the card, does anyone have any recent information on Citibank account funding?

I know for certain up to about 8 months ago or so you could fund a Citibank account with a Citi Credit Card, with very little grief at all. Nice way to rack in a bunch of miles. I used to open a new bank account at the same time as opening a new Citi credit card card, just to get a nice big first purchase taken care of, and earn some serious AAdvantage miles.

Reading the threads pertaining to Citi CC funding of a Citibank account now seems to indicate that it is dead as well (but it's not really clear from the myriad contradictory posts in the treads). Can anyone comment on if they've been able to fund a Citibank account with a Citibank credit card in the past 3 months? What were the results? Hit with a Cash advance? At the end of the day no matter how they processed the charge (cash advance, purchase, cash advance - complain -switched to purchase, etc) did you actually get miles?

Any current information on this is appreciated.
Quote: the true test will be when people start receiving their miles. i rec'd the 50k targeted offer and my wife the 30k targeted offer. mine has an expire date of 10/31 so Im gonna keep my eye on this thread and see the success rate on people actually receiving the miles. good luck to you all. this has been a banner year for promos.
Where in the email does it state the expiration date? On my wife's email offer, I can't find the date anywhere...I"m sure I'm just glossing over it. Not certain whether to have either of us apply for one of these just yet. We did the BA card in Feb and SPG earlier this month. Would like to wait a bit to apply for something else, I think.

Interesting, too, that our 13 year old just received 40K+2 AC passes+ companion cert...still nada for myself, even though I get a bazillion snail mail offers from Citi/AA every month, it seems.
Approved for VISA, denied for AMEX, passing on bizness.
Quote: Where in the email does it state the expiration date? On my wife's email offer, I can't find the date anywhere...I"m sure I'm just glossing over it. Not certain whether to have either of us apply for one of these just yet. We did the BA card in Feb and SPG earlier this month. Would like to wait a bit to apply for something else, I think.

Interesting, too, that our 13 year old just received 40K+2 AC passes+ companion cert...still nada for myself, even though I get a bazillion snail mail offers from Citi/AA every month, it seems.
Look in the T&C link
Quote: I got a totally different offer-- 40K after $750 in purchases plus a companion certificate (for use with any economy fare $299 and above) and 2 Admiral's Club passes.

Would it be possible for each of these offers to be tied to your individual AA number?
Word of advice, I would not value those companion certificates very highly. I believe they require the first ticket purchased to be booking class 'V' or higher (i.e. not a discount ticket).

I've had 2 of those companion certificates, and I found it nearly impossible to find an eligible fare to use the certificate with that didn't end up being the same price (or more) than simply buying two discount economy tickets on the same flight. In fact I didn't even use one of those companion certificates because it was so useless, and the other one I just managed to make it work: spent $580 for my ticket plus free ticket vs spending $299 X 2 = $598 buying right off AA.com and not using the companion certificate.

All in all, good luck in getting the companion certificate to be of any value.

Oh, and something else the passenger on the companion certificate doesn't accrue any RDMs or EQMs either.

Overall, I would only value those companion certificates to be worth 5,000 AAdvantage miles, because that is exactly what AA will give you if you surrender the companion certificate to them (which I did with my second one).
Number to call!
I have seen several requests for this....

If you did not get instantly approved call

866-606-2787 and give them your application/reference ID

Say what...you did not write down your reference ID call
888-201-4523
Then go through the prompts to get the status, when the nice person tells you your application is pending asks them for your reference ID before you hang up.

This got me approved when otherwise I might not have, because I have another citi card that I took advantage of a 0% offer.
Quote: For those of you who are posting that you applied via these links and were approved-- did ANY of you get a different email offer? Thanks.
I got a ton of snail mail offers and when I applied for the SPG Amex, I did a quick credit check just to make sure everything was nice and tidy and saw that Citi did a soft pull on my credit report EIGHT times in the last month. Sheesh!

I just got an instant approval on the SPG Amex July 14th and I applied for the Citi AA 75K Visa this morning and was also instantly approved.

I got the following e-mails this year:
1/27 - 30K
2/24 - 30K
3/16 - 30K
5/20 - 30K + 20% more
6/17 - 35K + Annual Fee Waiver
7/29 - 75K + Annual Fee Waiver (expiration date 10/31/2010)

I didn't bite on any of them because I wasn't knowledgeable about the mileage game until recently. But I'm quickly becoming an addict thanks to FT.

Question: on the e-mail promo, it states "No blackout dates on award travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection® carrier." But there are no blackout dates if you use the highest mileage awards so does this refer to lower award categories - ie. 12.5K economy and 25K business/first?
Quote: Look in the T&C link
Cool. Thanks!
I just called and just found out I was approved for a $5,000 CL and the CSR confirmed that I will received 75,000 miles after $1,500 in purchases within 6 months. I called the 2nd number Jacklamater provided.
How many miles does it take to fly to Hawaii?
Quote: I just called and just found out I was approved for a $5,000 CL and the CSR confirmed that I will received 75,000 miles after $1,500 in purchases within 6 months. I called the 2nd number Jacklamater provided.
So you used the link without having received the relevant email? I think number of people have reported similar stories, so I'll probably skip the 50K offer they emailed me and go for 75k or 100k.
Quote: So you used the link without having received the relevant email? I think number of people have reported similar stories, so I'll probably skip the 50K offer they emailed me and go for 75k or 100k.
I couldn't find the 100,000 miles offer that only required $1,500 in spending.

The only 100,000 one I could find is for 50K then 50K w/ 10K in purchase - Screw that.

I used the link in the Travel TM thing.
Quote: I couldn't find the 100,000 miles offer that only required $1,500 in spending.

The only 100,000 one I could find is for 50K then 50K w/ 10K in purchase - Screw that.

I used the link in the Travel TM thing.
That's what I meant by 100K. Thanks for replying.
Quote: My guess is that status will play a much, much bigger role in the ability to redeem awards, especially for the airlines whose miles are being given away for almost nothing (BA, AA, etc.). If I'm right, it'll bad news for many, especially when I see the low number of FF posts of many posting here since that may indicate folks w/o status.
I start to have a hypothesis that most folks received the email solicitations may have low balance in their AA accounts. May be this is one of the criteria in making the solicitation list...

Quote: I agree that Citi may be getting somewhat desperate, and I was expecting something from them, though I thought it would be rewarding use by existing cardholders rather than piling onto the new card giveaway.
This has been Citi's characteristics from Day One. Long time ago I called about a Citi card (not AAdvantage) that offers bonus to new customers but nada for existing customers, I was told out right by a manager that Citi considers that is marketing cost - since you are already existing customer there is no need to spend to attract you to use their products. They are aiming for market shares.
Quote: Question: on the e-mail promo, it states "No blackout dates on award travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection® carrier." But there are no blackout dates if you use the highest mileage awards so does this refer to lower award categories - ie. 12.5K economy and 25K business/first?
As an AA PLT you would know that AAdvantage program has No blackout dates on any reward since long long time ago - but that does NOT equate to No Availability of the Saaver award. Non-availability is Technically and fundamentally different from a specified Black Out Period of Dates. The latter did exist in the past, may be a decade ago.
7  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  27  67  117  517