Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will most likely be denied by "offer is only good for first time customer only" reason regardless which card you will apply again.

And dont take offers from AAdvantage agents - they are just trying to cross-sell products and if clients take what they sell, in this case, apply the card, they get some bonus. They have no clue, nor care, whether you would be approved or not - that is the decision of the bank.

I honestly dont understand why after 2+ months and so many posts on the same questions / answers / reports of denial regarding the "offer only good for first time customer only" denial, there are still questions about "Can I apply this and that after x days from my first card?" type of question.

Unless Citi changes its current policy... You will most likely waste a hard pull if you apply another AA personal card before you wait 9 to 12 months.

Originally Posted by moarmiles
I signed up for the 50k/100k personal visa card on Aug 20 and already hit the $10k requirement, but my statement will close early Oct. Since the promotion doesn't expire till the end of Oct, I'm thinking of signing up for another card, but this time an Amex instead of Visa.

My question is, when can I sign up for another 50k/100k card? Should I wait 8 weeks since I applied for my first card? Should I try for the business instead of the personal card? And do I need to close my current AA Visa before applying again?

I should also note that I called AAdvantage today to talk to them about a recent trip I took, and at the end of the call they told me I was eligeable for an AA Amex card, but only for 5000 miles after $125 in purchases. =\

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Happy; Sep 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Unfortunately it is not true.

Citi only distinguishes different Categories - Personal and Business. Within each category, it treats all brands the same.

If anyone has spent some time reading this thread, such question has been asked at least a doz times and correct answers either by prior knowledge or by current experiences also have posted many times - that is, all brands of personal cards are treated as PERSONAL Card, ditto for business cards. That is why people applied 2 personal cards back to back within minutes to avoid the "first customer only" denial.
Not according to Rick Ingersoll
http://frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/
When providing the links for the 75k and 100K, he wrote
" Citicards now offers their cards with a restriction for first time Citicard cardmembers. My interpretation is one of each type of card ie Visa, MC, Amex, personal and business. It may take a supervisor to confirm you sign up bonus eligibility"
I think I'll take a chance to apply for a Aadvantage visa eventhough I've already have a Aadvantage mastercard. The worse thing is to get a denial from Citi.
Trang
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:11 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Trang
" Citicards now offers their cards with a restriction for first time Citicard cardmembers. My interpretation is one of each type of card ie Visa, MC, Amex, personal and business. It may take a supervisor to confirm you sign up bonus eligibility"
I think I'll take a chance to apply for a Aadvantage visa eventhough I've already have a Aadvantage mastercard. The worse thing is to get a denial from Citi.
Trang
No offense to you and Rick Ingersoll, but I guess Happy has more to say on this particular topic. If I have to choose only one flyertalker to base my financial decision (at least credit card deals), it would be Happy.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Another data point: My 75K from Citi/AA Visa within days after the statement did. Unfortunately I did not apply for a second card simultaneously, so I guess that's it for this round. Not bad, I am not complaining.

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 19, 2010 at 8:34 pm
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:50 am

How to define first time?

I am sorry if this has been discussed in this thread, but it is quite hard to search through 125 pages.

1) Is this 'first time' for life? Or 9-12 months after you cancel your previous card?
2) When you have the personal card, you can still qualify for the 'first time' business card?
3) My wife currently is the additional card holder of my current AA Mastercard, can she still be qualified as 'first time' to get 100K offer for her own card?

Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by guiming_miao
I am sorry if this has been discussed in this thread, but it is quite hard to search through 125 pages.

1) Is this 'first time' for life? Or 9-12 months after you cancel your previous card?
2) When you have the personal card, you can still qualify for the 'first time' business card?
3) My wife currently is the additional card holder of my current AA Mastercard, can she still be qualified as 'first time' to get 100K offer for her own card?

Thanks.
1. YMMV. People have been successful w/ cards from last 9-12 months and others have not.

2. yes.

3. yes.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:55 am
Pup

Here's an odd data point.

I first got this targeted offer by snail mail only, about a week ago, in an advertising letter with a "personal pre-approved number" in it. It was for the 75,000-point visa. I'd had an AA Mastercard which I'd cancelled almost a year ago. I applied online following the instructions, using my number, and was instantly approved.

Yesterday, I received the same offer again by snail mail. Thought it just crossed in the mail and they were just reminding me to apply, but it has a different "personal pre-approved number."

What's the significance of the number? Guess I wouldn't be lucky enough to be able to get two cards. Would it be better for my wife to apply using the number (all info the same except for first name) or to apply using the non-targeted link?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
I just applied today for both the personal visa and the business visa. I was given an application number and told to call the toll-free number, which I will be doing later today, for the personal visa. I applied for the business visa after the personal visa and was instantly approved for the business visa with a nice credit line. I considered calling for the personal visa first before applying for the business visa but decided to just go ahead with the application. Hopefully, I will receive my approval for the personal visa shortly. (Also, I have never received either the personal or business visas prior to today.)
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by guiming_miao

The T&C for the business card are different. They are not "first time".

They are: This offer is available only if the Business does not already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card and, within the previous 90 days, has not applied for or received a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card.

So if you don't currently have a business card and haven't applied for one in the past 90 days you should be good to go. I would, of course, keep a copy of those T&C, just in case.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pup
Here's an odd data point.

I first got this targeted offer by snail mail only, about a week ago, in an advertising letter with a "personal pre-approved number" in it. It was for the 75,000-point visa. I'd had an AA Mastercard which I'd cancelled almost a year ago. I applied online following the instructions, using my number, and was instantly approved.

Yesterday, I received the same offer again by snail mail. Thought it just crossed in the mail and they were just reminding me to apply, but it has a different "personal pre-approved number."
If you dont mind to waste a hard pull, we would love to see new data point from your experiment to apply again using the unique number.

Originally Posted by Pup
What's the significance of the number? Guess I wouldn't be lucky enough to be able to get two cards. Would it be better for my wife to apply using the number (all info the same except for first name) or to apply using the non-targeted link?
She should use a non-targeted link because the targeted link is linked to your name but I assume your wife's credit report would not have YOUR NAME on it, would it? So the name of the applicant does not match with the credit report pulled using the SSN of you wife... Shall we say a flag may be raised by this discrepancy?

Use some common sense - it is not that hard to see what would work what would not if just forget about the zeal to get the bonus, but using plain old common sense to analyze the scenario.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He is wrong on this count despite his blog and his push to sell his book. If you spend some time reading some pages upthread, especially from 30 days ago when people thought each brand is considered separately, you will see a doz or more posts to the contrary of what FTG said. I am curious why he never updates his advice despite there are also comments posted on his site to the contrary also.

Trang
Why not? As you said, to take a chance because all you lose is the cost of a hard pull on your credit report. Though most of us here try to minimize hard pulls as much as possible because we want to take opportunities from all issuers who would all look at the same credit report... the less hard pull the higher probability of success in future deals.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 2:52 pm

I made the mistake that others have made -- I applied for the Visa offer, and then two days later applied for the AmEx. The first was approved and the latter was denied. Note that I have an open AA MC credit card, opened around two years ago.

I have a naive question to ask: does it matter if you have a real business when you apply for a business card? It sounds like it's mostly a way to get a second card.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by solomita
I made the mistake that others have made -- I applied for the Visa offer, and then two days later applied for the AmEx. The first was approved and the latter was denied. Note that I have an open AA MC credit card, opened around two years ago.

I have a naive question to ask: does it matter if you have a real business when you apply for a business card? It sounds like it's mostly a way to get a second card.
It matters if they ask for proof of the business. I suppose if you list that your business has 0 years and 0 income (essentially a brand new business) and is a sole proprietorship you may not need to present proof if needed, assuming you are approved. I believe someone earlier in the thread said they were approved when they listed this.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
So if you don't currently have a business card and haven't applied for one in the past 90 days you should be good to go. I would, of course, keep a copy of those T&C, just in case.
I applied for the Visa Business on Friday

Today I got the rejection due to too many applicatons.

My last business application was June 1st but I have applied for, and gotten, both the Visa Sig and Amex in the last 2 months
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
I have all 3 of my credit reports frozen (for security reasons) with Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax. Anyone know which one they pull the credit report from? I will have to ask for my credit report to be unfrozen temporarily.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.