Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:17 am
Original Poster

A colleague got an email from AA with the below text. Not sure if this was targeted:

As a cardmember, you’ll benefit from:
• 75,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1,500 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership1 — enough for select round-trip international travel awards
• $85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*
• Earn one AAdvantage® mile for every dollar spent on purchases
• No blackout dates on award travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection® carrier
• AAdvantage® miles may never expire
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: No preference
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THESE OFFERS, SEARCH THE THREAD FOR THE ANSWER (IT'S THERE) OR SEND ME A PM.

To maximize miles:

1. Clear all browser cookies to eliminate any chance of a submitting an app for an offer that is not a link in this post.
2. Apply for 1 Citi Visa personal card ($4000 link)
3. Clear cookies again
4. Immediately apply for 1 Citi Amex personal card ($4000 link)
5. Begin meeting spending requirement
6. There is some question as to the current legitimacy of the business card apps, apply at own risk. After 65 days, apply for 1 Visa Business card ($4000 link)
7. Continue spending to meet requirements for all three cards

Generally (as in most cases, but your miles may vary)

1. There are two different application timeframes that are important in this offer. Citi only allows 2 applications for ANY Citi card within a 60 day timeframe. Citi only allows 1 application for a business card every 90 days. So if you apply for a Sears card and an AA Visa, you have to wait 60+ days before applying for the business card. If you applied and were denied for just a business card, you have to wait 90+ days before trying again.

2. You can get approved for 2 personal cards, but only if you apply at the same time (back-to-back). If you don't apply for 2 personal cards at the same time (i.e. the next week, the next month, or 6 months later), the system will no longer recognize you as a first time cardholder and you will be denied.

3. Applying for a personal and business card simultaneously will result in 2 credit pulls. Applying for 2 personal cards will result in 2 credit pulls, but will be combined by the credit bureau into 1 pull.

4. You DO NOT need a business to apply for the business card. It is best practice to use your name as it appears on bills, bank accounts etc so if Citi asks for supporting documents, the name on the documents you provide will match the name on the card. Business cards must be fully cancelled (to be safe) before applying for a new one (make sure the card AND online account have been cancelled). Many people have churned this card every 90+ days, but recent reports suggest Citi may be attempting to crack down on business card churning. Apply after 91+ days and risk denial for already receiving a business card or wait longer and risk the 75k offer dying ... tough choices!

5. If you have applied and did not get instant approval, call between the hours of 9:00 am to 9:00 pm EST, Monday - Friday, 1-888-201-4523

6. If you are denied for not being a "first time cardholders", you are out of luck with no chance of reconsideration. If you are denied for reasons other than "only for first time cardholders", you can contact Citi through mail or phone and ask them to reconsider or negotiate your approval. If lower level CSRs say they can't help you, contact the following:

CitiBank Executive Review Department
P.O. Box 6000
Sioux Falls, SD 57117

7. ALL applications have no mention of the offer you are applying for, have faith it is correct. If you lack faith, you can confirm with a CSR after you apply using the above number.

8. If you receive the card and card info in the mail, it WILL NOT have any mention of the offer you applied under, have faith or call a CSR.

9. Takes about a week to get your card in the mail once approved.

10. Takes a few days after your statement closes to have your miles post to your AA account.

11. If you currently have or in the past had an AA card (18-24 months since application date to be safe), reports are you'll get approved.

12. If the application is still loading even though the offer has expired, you can still apply under that offer.

13. The Amex listing is not an American Express card. It is a Citibank card that uses the American Express network. It has no affiliation with American Express as it pertains to credit, rules, or policies.

14. All offers listed below are confirmed to work at the time of this edit. None of the offers listed below have usable offer pages. And even if they did, the offers are long expired and would most likely be unhelpful in convincing a CSR to accept the offer.

15. If the application page does not load properly, hit refresh until it does. If you submit an application and get an error message, the app has gone through. Be weary of resubmitting.

16. People who submitted two Visa apps by accident report at getting two Visa cards, both with the applicable bonus offer. This occurrence is not something that can be assumed to happen for everyone. People purposefully applying for 2 Visas so as to have a smaller spending requirement report mixed results. Using this method may cause you to miss out on 75k miles. But the choice is yours
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75k, Citi Visa EXPIRED, NOT WORKING
75k, Citi Visa Business EXPIRED, NOT WORKING

• 75,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1500 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership
• $85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75k, Citi Visa EXPIRED, NOT WORKING
75k, Citi Visa Business EXPIRED, NOT WORKING
75k, Citi Amex EXPIRED, NOT WORKING
• 75,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $4000 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership

Last edited by jcmitchell21; Oct 11, 2011 at 6:56 am Reason: R.I.P. - will check back periodically for the next week or so to verify
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
I anxiously await clarification of this. I have been wanting to get this card for some time.
Ditto. Would love to find a link to this or know if it was targeted.

Darn, I just got approved for the 35k AA offer yesterday. Does Citi ever credit the difference if u ask nicely, and a new better offer comes in within the same week? If not, at least i could try the business card if we find a link.

Last edited by longleaf; Jul 29, 2010 at 11:43 am
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Can you please ask your colleage to share the link with us? many of us could make good use of it. $1500 is not much of a criteria
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
I'll wait until the 1000,000 card comes out...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:53 am

You mean like the offer I just got

• 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership

• 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after you make $10,000 in purchases during your first 12 months of cardmembership1 - a total of 100,000 AAdvantage® miles is enough for select round-trip international flight awards

• No blackout dates on award travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection® carrier

T's & C's
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Actually, there are a number of new offers from CB, but you have to get the emails to qualify. The one mentioned here is not even the highest amount.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
time for me to cancel existing card
and prepare for these inflating future offers

Tried to cancel in April, but retention desk
gave me 3000 to call back later.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by DallaStarwooDelta

....after you make $10,000 in purchases during your first 12 months of cardmembership1 - a total of 100,000 AAdvantage® miles
wow !

of course..... This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is valid only for first-time Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account by October 31, 2010
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:58 am

Out of luck

I was impressed by the 50,000 mile offer my son just received until I saw this thread! (He's only 16, so no use applying, and all of the adults in the house have too many Citi cards to count.) As long as AA keeps these offers limited to first-time customers, most of us will be out of luck.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by DallaStarwooDelta

• 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership

• 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after you make $10,000 in purchases during your first 12 months of cardmembership1 - a total of 100,000 AAdvantage® miles is enough for select round-trip international flight awards

T's & C's
^ . Too bad these all seem to be targeted
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
How does one sign up to even receive these offers? Or be targeted?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by bthobe
How does one sign up to even receive these offers? Or be targeted?
You have to sell your soul to American Airlines.

For 100,000 miles, i would consider it
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Tried to cancel in April, but retention desk
gave me 3000 to call back later.
Only 3k? I did the same about 2 months ago & got 5k. When I called last week to cancel again b/c the annual fee was coming due, I didn't get any offers.

Originally Posted by WiseFlyer
I was impressed by the 50,000 mile offer my son just received until I saw this thread! (He's only 16, so no use applying, and all of the adults in the house have too many Citi cards to count.) As long as AA keeps these offers limited to first-time customers, most of us will be out of luck.
1. How can it be "no use" in applying if it's 50k miles?
2. How can one have "too many Citi cards"

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by WiseFlyer
I received this e-mail this afternoon. I previously had the Citi AA Mastercard, but closed it some time back. Would I still qualify as a "new customer" for this offer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.