Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are Delta's SkyMiles called SkyPesos?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are Delta's SkyMiles called SkyPesos?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by mooper
Most $300 tickets are redeemable for 25K miles (should you want to redeem them for that) - are you sure you are checking correctly?

Your earlier statement implied that it was difficult to find availability for your route in September, but that's clearly not the case. Your requirement for specific dates is the hitch. Is your expectation that CO, UA, and AA will typically have two low/saver seats available on over 50% of the days for the routes you want? You are likely to find that other airlines typically require a bit of flexibility to make it work.
All of my experiences trying to redeem miles on Delta (over many years) have been difficult. My experiences with American have been fantastic. My UA and CO miles are new to me, so I will see how they work out. I'm glad that your experiences with Delta are good. I do understand that each person has different needs/experiences with each airline. Personally I'm kind of tired of having miles on five different airlines, and my intention is to get down to two or three.
Also, I am quite satisfied getting a penny per mile out of Delta and then exiting that program.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:43 pm

I try pretty regularly to find flights between ORD-MSO where my son lives. I always check Delta, can never get a flight for 25k and end up using UA miles instead. I would love to use up my remaining skypesos but haven't found a 25k flight in the last two years. I am pretty flexible with dates too.

Deb
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DebBrown
I try pretty regularly to find flights between ORD-MSO where my son lives. I always check Delta, can never get a flight for 25k and end up using UA miles instead. I would love to use up my remaining skypesos but haven't found a 25k flight in the last two years. I am pretty flexible with dates too.
Have you tried recently? About half the days between mid August and mid November are available at the 25K level, with many days yielding multiple options. That's for a non-Medallion. If you are Medallion, you have roughly 80% availability over that same period.

Originally Posted by onthego15
All of my experiences trying to redeem miles on Delta (over many years) have been difficult. My experiences with American have been fantastic. My UA and CO miles are new to me, so I will see how they work out. I'm glad that your experiences with Delta are good. I do understand that each person has different needs/experiences with each airline. Personally I'm kind of tired of having miles on five different airlines, and my intention is to get down to two or three.
Also, I am quite satisfied getting a penny per mile out of Delta and then exiting that program.
You should consider if your experience with Delta is the result of your method of searching and/or your inflexibility. If so, the odds of trouble with AA/UA/CO are quite high despite your lucky past. No airline has wide open availability - they all require a bit of flexibility or a huge dose of luck.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:04 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
As far as I am concerned Delta does not exist. I stopped flying them in 1990 and will never fly them again. I dont understand why FTs continue to spend money with bad companies.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by mrpickles
As far as I am concerned Delta does not exist. I stopped flying them in 1990 and will never fly them again. I dont understand why FTs continue to spend money with bad companies.
I would disagree that they have been a bad company that long. I bailed out to NW in the Rob Borden era, but even then redemptions were not bad. It was the period around their takeover of NW when they really went downhill fast. But you make a good point. Why would anyone in their right mind fly an airline whose ff program is now the biggest bad joke in the industry? Best in Class? That's a laugh!

But we will always have the DL apologists claiming DL is wonderful. Some like Mooper, who told us he is a large shareholder of DL, reveal the reasons for that position, and some don't.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 3:14 am

With the pre- Jeff Robertson DL, I had no trouble using 50K miles for high season TATL redemptions on DL. Now with Robertson's stinking 3-tier chart the lowest is 60K and so far I cannot find that in high season at all. I considered myself lucky to find a shoulder season TATL ticket on DL at low miles for a relative, even though it had overnight layovers both directions and didn't go quite all the way to the city she really wanted on the outbound. DL redemptions have fallen very far from what they were in the pre-Robertson era. Jeff Robertson is the worst thing that has ever happened to SM, even worse than Rob Borden, who was pretty bad himself.

One thing I note of all of those who crow about finding a low miles TATL award ticket is that they always seem to neglect mentioning what season it was. A low season award ticket is nothing to crow about, and a shoulder season one barely is. In the pre-Robertson era, I would never have even considered wasting miles on any TATL award ticket that was not high season. Now, I guess, beggers can't be choosers.

DL is now an awful, awful, awful program.

Originally Posted by jpdx
There's a whole lot of complaining about DL miles, but I think much of this is unwarranted. I am among those who have very little problems using DL miles. In fact, I have redeemed over 4 million DL miles at the "Low" level since the beginning of 2009, all for international C/F trips. Only one of these trips was a mixed Low/Medium (150k RT to Europe) trip, all others were Low (100k to Europe, 120k to Asia, 140k for SQ F). The "Low" awards are out there, and even if you can't get all-Low trips, with a little bit of knowledge about the constraints of the program (searching/timing), you can always at least get a mixed Low/Medium award.

Regarding Domestic Trips: Try booking a domestic trip in the next few months with any alliance, and you will find that Saver awards on AA and UA are extremely hard to come by. I've done over two dozen award redemptions this year -on all alliances-, and done probably thousands of searches for availability. And I can tell you that it's much easier to get TATL/TPAC C/F flights than the domestic feeder flight. Spend a few minutes clicking through the ANA tool to see how many available seats on PDX-ORD flights there are in the entire month of August. You'll see that there literally are weeks where there is no availability at all (you can even try ORD-DEN, and despite the dozen or so daily flights UA has on that route, no more than a few will have open Saver seats). Similar picture for PDX-DFW on AA (check their calendar for available seats, just takes a few minutes). People repeat the mantra that UA/AA have oh so vastly superior award availability, but right now, the fact is that for most travelers, all miles are extremely hard to use. In fact, I would posit that for anyone looking for a domestic trip in Summer 2010, DL miles are worth more than AA/UA, because you have a very high likelihood of being able to use these miles at the "medium" level (40k), which is lower than "Standard" seats on AA/UA (50k).

Regarding international travel: I also don't agree with the assertion that DL miles are useless for international trips. Much will depend on your origin/departure, and even more will depend on your ability to do a search that reveals all the options. I won't argue that DL availability is as good as UA/AA for TPAC/TATL flights (it clearly is not), but the superior availability on UA/AA for TATL/TPAC flights buys you very little if you can't use your UA/AA miles to get from your hometown to ORD/SFO/IAD/whatever. When you factor in partner availability, DL can be quite competitive, but again, this will depend on origin/destination and search skills.

Imo, there is plenty of "Low" availability -- if you know where to look, and depending on your travel patterns. In cases where "Low" is not available, DL inventory at the "Medium" level unlocks vastly superior availability than UA/AA Saver, and thus there are plenty of situations where DL miles are indeed useful.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:05 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Carolinian
But we will always have the DL apologists claiming DL is wonderful. Some like Mooper, who told us he is a large shareholder of DL, reveal the reasons for that position, and some don't.
Your statement implies that I defend Delta because I am a shareholder. It's the other way around; I am a shareholder because I see the value in their services. I point out the flaws in deeming Skymiles an "awful program" simply because one area is weak. Emotions and a lack of understanding dominate much of the negative discussion, so I make an attempt to reason.

The vast majority of their revenues and profits come from their domestic operations, and in this area, their perks to status holders and award availability within the 48 contiguous states is absolutely superb, including when compared to their peers. In this thread and others, I've explained the sources of confusion and how to work around them.

Even in the international award arena, their weakest link, there is some value to be found. Jpdx, someone who redeems millions of Skymiles and therefore has the experience of dozens of average users combined, highlights some of this in the "regarding international travel" of his earlier post. That said, Delta still lags behind the competition in international award availability for many markets, plus they have award calendar issues complicating the matter. Do these weaknesses make Skymiles an "awful program"? Hardly. Perhaps a very unappealing one for someone who seeks to primarily redeem miles internationally from certain markets, but definitely not for a domestic redeemer who holds status and knows how to leverage it.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:38 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
jpdx and mooper have both explained very beautifully what I could not. I am a Medallion, NOT a shareholder. I have redeemed 2.3M DL miles over the past year. My average cost to get those miles (cpm) has been lower on DL. The only thing that was better in mileage cost was one of MrPickles specialities- the Citi online savings account promotion (0 cpm - no wonder Citi went almost bankrupt) and the TIB promo last Dec on US - 0.7 cpm.

I get my DL miles for about 0.9 cpm. Take the current bounce back. I spent 100$ on gift card. Let us say I PAID to get miles (worst case scenario) by paying taxes - 2.35 c per $ spent = 60k taxes = 1410$ = 60k miles for spend + 30k bonus + 60k double miles + some MQM for status, which also I can use and get free upgrades next year. At the most expensive, I have got 150,000 miles for 1410$ = < 0.95 cpm. If I were to use the cards for purchases I would have made anyway, I get 2.5 miles for $ spent for no cost (instead of my 1.5c on a cash back card = 0.6 cpm - least expensive cost).

One should never redeem 40k miles for a 300$ ticket. In fact you should never redeem 25k miles for a 300$ ticket except in extreme situations. If I can redeem the miles for > 1cpm, I am happy that I am ahead. Usually I redeem for 1.5-3 cpm overall.

Originally Posted by Carolinian
Lastly I am no apologist. I too call them skypesos at times when I am frustrated. But when I get more liberal miles (pesos) I should expect to spend them in pesos! A 25k award on DL is an incredible value as it is much easier to get (the miles) than on any other airline. I also have much better 40k inventory for more seats overall. Let the wsj or forbes or anyone else do a comparison of 25+40 DL awards vs the saver awards on others and compare the 60k with their standard awards.

Last edited by ffI; Jul 7, 2010 at 4:43 am
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have burned more than 2 million miles since the beginning of 2009. Most were burned while I could still book with NW. The ease of booking on NW was what I was used to, and that is sadly, long gone.

I have booked about 300k in awards since DL took the whole show over. I wouldn't say it was easy in any regard. My first experience I'd equate to a root canal. Not any fun, but you're glad when it's all done.

If you know how to master the system, DL can give you some good options. I'd say less than 1% of people know how to do it. The award calendar and very limited international awards are big problems. I'm sure that DL just loves people to use 2x more miles or more for awards.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Is *is* possible to use Delta miles. It's just harder to use them for high value awards than it is to use miles from other major North American programs.

Claims that "I managed to get an award" do not refute that.

I have redeemed well over 50 million miles in the past year across many different programs for myself and many others and I can tell you that I would much rather have miles with CO, UA, AA, US, AS, AC... SPG and Amex MR... BD, BA, LH M&M... over DL miles.

I do earn DL miles when they are easy easy easy to acquire. When they offer 10k miles for a 1-day Avis/Budget rental, I'll do that. But I will not spend a penny a mile to acquire them. Too little upside.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Is Delta aware of all the negativity (warranted or otherwise) about its program? Are they oblivious or do they just not care? I mean, is this thread a microcosm of an overall backlash against Delta?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:53 am

Wink 100K to Europe is NOT LOW

According to Delta's Skypeso chart, one-way to Europe at the low and premium categories are as follows:

Europe Coach 30,000 45,000 62,500
Premium 50,000 100,000 175,000

As such your "low" 100K to Europe at best is a premium "low", while a real low is 60K. You do really have to search and get lucky to get a cash in 60K in Skypesos for an award ticket to Europe. Though even being very flexible with my dates, the ever elusive 60K award is over a week off from when I dare to hope and dream of departing. Since I work for a living, I sadly have to live with restraints on when I can request leave. As such I may have to skip using mein 127K Skyscheiße for the wife und I to the EU and instead wasting them on a domestic award.

Also:

Deutschland 3 - 1 Espana

You heard it here first.

[QUOTE=jpdx;14251350]There's a whole lot of complaining about DL miles, but I think much of this is unwarranted. I am among those who have very little problems using DL miles. In fact, I have redeemed over 4 million DL miles at the "Low" level since the beginning of 2009, all for international C/F trips. Only one of these trips was a mixed Low/Medium (150k RT to Europe) trip, all others were Low (100k to Europe, 120k to Asia, 140k for SQ F). The "Low" awards are out there, and even if you can't get all-Low trips, with a little bit of knowledge about the constraints of the program (searching/timing), you can always at least get a mixed Low/Medium award.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: MTA NYCTA Super Plutonium Elite
Originally Posted by Flyer737
Just a guess... but probably because they are worthless like pesos and constantly being devalued.
That's a common misconception. It's actually a RanSoM-NoTE-stYLe random capitalization applied to "Skype SOS," implying that you're better off trying to call someone with Skype than fly to meet them on Delta.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:40 am

Perhaps a very unappealing one for someone who seeks to primarily redeem miles internationally from certain markets, but definitely not for a domestic redeemer who holds status and knows how to leverage it.
I suspect this is the crux right here. It seems that the vast majority of people looking for redemptions here do so on international premium class travel.

That also leads me to suspect that there is not, in fact, a more general backlash against Delta. This board is hardly representative of the general public.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
However, if you are redeeming for travel wholly within the contiguous 48 states, you are Medallion (and therefore have access to Medallion award inventory), and know how to work around the calendar bug (which displays less inventory than you're entitled to, unless you make it work), then low/saver awards are plentiful if you have a little flexibility.
Would you mind and enlighten us here or PM me to explain the work-around ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.