Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD

I searched for Topguest and didn't see any mention of it on FT. I'm not sure if this belongs here, or Travel Technology, or maybe S.P.A.M. but according to their FAQ you earn points in the program of your choice, not pseudo-points.

From TechCrunch:
Topguest...gives travelers loyalty points and rewards for check-ins on Foursquare, Twitter, Gowalla, Yelp, Loopt and even Google Latitude.
Right now it sounds like you can only earn rewards at The Standard hotels but their FAQ makes it sound like SPG points and Delta SkyMiles might be next up.

Last edited by rob_flies_ua; Jul 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
I think FourSquare is stupid but I'd consider using it for SPG points. It's amazing how much data these programs are going to be able to collect if they really catch on and aren't just a fad. I bet shops will figure out how to correlate what you actually purchase with your foursquare profile, a goldmine for marketing!

Thanks for the link, I'll keep my eyes on it.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Who do they REALLY work with now?
I saw the FAQ which has this footnote "Pending confirmation by upcoming program partners.", and also the homepage only has "The Standard" listed as a partner...
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ranshe
Who do they REALLY work with now?
I saw the FAQ which has this footnote "Pending confirmation by upcoming program partners.", and also the homepage only has "The Standard" listed as a partner...
As far as I can tell, just "The Standard" right now.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't see why anyone would use this to "check in" other than the points.

its not like you can actually check-in, you still have to get a key....
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by entropy
I don't see why anyone would use this to "check in" other than the points.
The points are the point.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
As far as I can tell, just "The Standard" right now.
They just added Priority Club:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/22/top...vestors-video/
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:25 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by maracle
I think FourSquare is stupid...
Originally Posted by maracle
I bet shops will figure out how to correlate what you actually purchase with your foursquare profile, a goldmine for marketing!
Nothing stupid about that... sounds brilliant to me!

We're on the cusp of a wave of geo-based services fueled by smartphones with GPS capability and their convergence with other devices. Google Android is going to enhance a lot of it, and players like Foursquare, Topguest, etc. will capitalize.

As recently as a couple years ago, when I traveled, I would pack/carry a digital camera (for pictures and videos, both), an MP3 player, my cellphone, a netbook, and a GPS watch (by Garmin, for running), and a PND for the car (also a Garmin). As the months passed, I began to leave one or more of these at home, allowing, for example, my cellphone to take the place of my MP3 player when I'd run. I'm now at the point where my smartphone can do the functions of *all* of these devices, and sometimes it is the only thing I bring. (Given, I often need the power and convenience of the netbook and PND, which aren't completely replaced by the smartphone because of size and power, so they still make some trips.) Anyway, my point here is that the smartphone is becoming a lot more powerful and popular of a device, and as geo-services are tied to many of the apps, you can expect services like Topguest to increase in popularity - not fade away as a fad.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
I searched for Topguest and didn't see any mention of it on FT. I'm not sure if this belongs here, or Travel Technology, or maybe S.P.A.M. but according to their FAQ you earn points in the program of your choice, not pseudo-points.

points and Delta SkyMiles might be next up.

Might want to fix the topguest link so it isn't https...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
OK, giving it a shot

Got a HI on my way to / from work.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgoedken
Might want to fix the topguest link so it isn't https...
Thanks; I just did so (it worked when I first posted). I just used foursquare to check in at a local holiday inn express. I'll be interested to see how long it takes for that to propagate to Topguest and then to Priority Club.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
I had tried "checking in" at a Staybridge Suites location using Yelp but no points posted. I emailed Topguest about it and they let me know that they are having problems connecting with Yelp.

I tried checking in via Foursquare (pushing the check in to Twitter) this morning and the points posted within the hour.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AndreaRH

I tried checking in via Foursquare (pushing the check in to Twitter) this morning and the points posted within the hour.
Posted to topguest or Priority Club?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Posted to topguest or Priority Club?
Points are posting to TopGuest. According to an email I got from TopGuest's customer service, points will flow to Priority Club within 4-6 weeks after they post to TopGuest.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Got this via email last week, just bothering to post now...

Dear [Mooper],

Topguest currently enables you to get points from the world's biggest loyalty program, Priority Club, and rewards from the coolest hotels in America, The Standard hotels, just for checking in on foursquare, Gowalla, Twitter and Brightkite. We can do this because we retrieve precise geolocation information from each of the location-based services, and then apply our own anti-fraud rules. That way, we know that each check-in is a bona fide visit to the hotels awarding you points.
Recent improvements in out anti-fraud rules mean that, for now, we are ceasing to support Yelp, Loopt and Google Latitude. We will, of course, reward you with points for any check-ins that you have made to this point on those services, but will not do so going forward.
So, look forward to receiving your points soon and link up other services (Gowalla, foursquare, Twitter or Brightkite) on your Settings page!
Cheers,
The Topguest Team.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.