Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: PC Platinum, DL Gold, CO Gold, HH Gold, Starwood Gold
Based on prior activity, it appears Topguest activity post to PC account around the middle of the month and again near the end of the month.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
I certainly hope they post... Otherwise I've been fielding awkward questions about why I'm checking into hotels on my lunch break. It looks very "Pretty Woman".
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
It wouldn't surprise me that the PC transfer has moved to a different day of the month as a side effect of the other program additions. What did surprise me was that I've already received Virgin America Elevate points from my first checkin yesterday.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by InfoMofo
I certainly hope they post... Otherwise I've been fielding awkward questions about why I'm checking into hotels on my lunch break. It looks very "Pretty Woman".
To avoid such awkward questions, I set up a facebook account to use with TopGuest and I have no friends on this account, so no one but me sees the daily hotel check-ins.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: Many
For those of you who have been doing this for a while, do you have a preference in which geo-stalking site to use? Someone mentioned that Twitter had a further range than Foursquare. What about the others?

Also, I noticed that Foursquare says you can "check in" even if you don't have a smartphone.

"Not got your hands on a smart phone yet? You can check-in on your mobile browser at: http://m.foursquare.com or check-in by texting 50500 (like this: @ Ace Bar ! Playing skeeball)."

Has anyone tried this and gotten points?

Last edited by Ms Cat's Travel; Nov 17, 2010 at 9:38 am Reason: More questions
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
You don't earn "Topguest points", you earn Priority Club points, or Hilton HHonors points, so there's nothing to transfer or redeem.
Well it appears that a balance accrues with Topguest and then you transfer it over to a loyalty program.

So we can now transfer all points to HHonors if we wanted?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ms Cat's Travel
For those of you who have been doing this for a while, do you have a preference in which geo-stalking site to use? Someone mentioned that Twitter had a further range than Foursquare. What about the others?

Also, I noticed that Foursquare says you can "check in" even if you don't have a smartphone.

"Not got your hands on a smart phone yet? You can check-in on your mobile browser at: http://m.foursquare.com or check-in by texting 50500 (like this: @ Ace Bar ! Playing skeeball)."

Topguest disabled twitter a while back. Mobile browser foursquare checkins do work. I use foursquare.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Well it appears that a balance accrues with Topguest and then you transfer it over to a loyalty program.

So we can now transfer all points to HHonors if we wanted?
Nope, the 'balance' that accrues is just do the fact that they batch the posting process. You do *not* earn Topguest points by checking at a DoubleTree, you earn HHonors points and the posting of those is just delayed. Ditto the other programs.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Topguest disabled twitter a while back. Mobile browser foursquare checkins do work. I use foursquare.
Hmm... Twitter is still on the TopGuest list of connected services. Maybe they re-enabled it recently?

Glad to know mobile check-ins work on foursquare. My friend works right next to a Holiday Inn, but doesn't have a smart phone. But he should be able to check-in from his work computer as long as he uses the mobile site, correct?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Hmm... Twitter is still on the TopGuest list of connected services. Maybe they re-enabled it recently?

Glad to know mobile check-ins work on foursquare. My friend works right next to a Holiday Inn, but doesn't have a smart phone. But he should be able to check-in from his work computer as long as he uses the mobile site, correct?
Indeed it is still listed. I could have sworn I saw a twitter post about them turning it off, but can't find it now. At the very least, certain of the partners claim to be for Facebook Places/Foursquare checkins only.

And yes, your friend should be able to checkin from his work computer using the mobile site.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:05 pm

I actually use Firefox to check in with "Foursquarefox". Works great. You can get it here http://foursquarefox.com/

Last edited by bosbdl; Nov 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:42 am

OK, so I just gave this a shot, checked in at a Holiday Inn.... if I see the check-in show up in a couple of hours in the "rewards" section I'm good to go, right?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Smidget
OK, so I just gave this a shot, checked in at a Holiday Inn.... if I see the check-in show up in a couple of hours in the "rewards" section I'm good to go, right?
Correct! I checked in at Comfort Suites around 7:15 this morning vis Facebook. This showed up in the TopGuest Rewards summary before 9:00.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If your phone "thinks youre a little far" from the location and does not award the points/badges, does TopGuest still award the checkin? Or does the checkin only count if FourSquare gives you the points?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bosbdl
I actually use Firefox to check in with "Foursquarefox". Works great and allows me to check in to places ridiculously far away (like over an hour). You can get it here http://foursquarefox.com/
There are similar extensions for the Chrome browser, for those who are interested.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
If your phone "thinks youre a little far" from the location and does not award the points/badges, does TopGuest still award the checkin? Or does the checkin only count if FourSquare gives you the points?
I don't think they'll count, but I haven't tested. To avoid the issue, you can sometimes turn off your GPS and search for the venue, then check in. Alternatively, you can use the Chrome or Firefox extensions noted above as a workaround.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.