Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by wesmanz
I won't be wasting the effort to include the Wingate Inn any longer tho, as it seems they aren't posting those points at all.

--wes
I have been getting my wyndham points posting in the same manner as Hilton (same/next day).
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by scocjo
I have been getting my wyndham points posting in the same manner as Hilton (same/next day).
Hrmm, it may be an issue with this particular hotel. I don't think I'm in a position to complain to them right now tho lol....should have checked it prior to getting my "you've been bad" email

--wes
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:17 am

Would you mind telling us what pattern of usage led to getting the ban please?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
There are 4 local hotels close to my work address. I was using the 4square browser that allows you to put in the location. I would check into these four properties daily along with checking in at the airport to hit a Virgin spot. I did it for about a month straight, missing a day every now and again.

To be honest, it's not that far fetched. I could easily check into these four locations and drop the Virgin check-in and it'd be legit for a mon-fri thing. These locations are all within 1000 meters of my work location.

I'm going to start checking into the four locations that are right there on a mon-fri basis and see if that allows them to reinstate my account. It's worth a shot I suppose.

The locations near me are a Doubletree, Wingate Inn, Quality Inn and a Holiday Inn select. However, for some reason the Wingate has never posted any points, so perhaps I'll cut that one out as well.

--wes
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by wesmanz
I'm going to start checking into the four locations that are right there on a mon-fri basis and see if that allows them to reinstate my account. It's worth a shot I suppose.
I've been doing it for a month and the response I got from those ba$tards was:
"The aim of the Topguest service is to.encourage sharing of actual visits to venues on users' social networks through the incentive of points. Please let us know when are you willing to engage in this behavior rather than checking in every day at a venue in rapid succession.
Regards,
Topguest."

"Rapid succession" for those morons are check ins half an hour or more apart. I can walk from one location to another from where I work in 10 min. They are just bunch of asses.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by foxberg
"Rapid succession" for those morons are check ins half an hour or more apart. I can walk from one location to another from where I work in 10 min. They are just bunch of asses.
But do you walk from one location to another in 10 minutes? I'd bet you don't because it wouldn't be worth your time.

You may think they are morons and ba$tards or a bunch of asses, but while I don't claim to understand their business model, I think it's pretty obvious that their idea isn't to just throw free miles/points at people who think they deserve them for clicking a few buttons/links in a browser.

It all boils down to the same thing each time... greed kills the deal.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Cool OK, so I'm not alone ;)

Haven't checked this thread for a while, and I'm happy to see I'm not the only one banned...

Waiting to be re-instated.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I'm comparatively low-key, and I'm not banned.

I do maybe three or four check-ins a day, and one or maybe two (rarely) are for points-earning situations.

Seems to be fine, but I'm making slow progress.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:07 am

So do the points transfer to everyones accounts at the same time? Does anyone know what date this is? Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But do you walk from one location to another in 10 minutes? I'd bet you don't because it wouldn't be worth your time.

You may think they are morons and ba$tards or a bunch of asses, but while I don't claim to understand their business model, I think it's pretty obvious that their idea isn't to just throw free miles/points at people who think they deserve them for clicking a few buttons/links in a browser.

It all boils down to the same thing each time... greed kills the deal.
This is irrelevant whether I do or not, what's important is that I could. And greed? One or two check ins a day is a greed? Are you for real? Do you work for TopGuest or something?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA, UA, US, AA
Originally Posted by kitbag1984

I can tell you how I was using the service before being banned:

-doing all my check-ins at once, rapid-fire, once a day.

-sometimes checking in from a distance, not in the immediate vicinity of the destination. Foursquare allows you to check in from twenty miles away if you so choose, unlike Facebook Places and Gowalla which just don't show places further away than a couple of hundred metres.

The relevant section of their terms and conditions that this behaviour violates is:

C. Topguest Rules.
By sharing a check-in at a place with Topguest, you represent and warrant that you are actually at that location. Topguest reserves the right to refuse to give rewards for checkins that Topguest, at its sole discretion, determines to be fraudulent or otherwise inauthentic.

My boyfriend's account has escaped the ban so far, and we've both begun checking in ONLY when actually at places or within very close range. His points are still accruing and I'm hoping to be reinstated.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jools1006
I can tell you how I was using the service before being banned:

-doing all my check-ins at once, rapid-fire, once a day.

-sometimes checking in from a distance, not in the immediate vicinity of the destination. Foursquare allows you to check in from twenty miles away if you so choose, unlike Facebook Places and Gowalla which just don't show places further away than a couple of hundred metres.

The relevant section of their terms and conditions that this behaviour violates is:

C. Topguest Rules.
By sharing a check-in at a place with Topguest, you represent and warrant that you are actually at that location. Topguest reserves the right to refuse to give rewards for checkins that Topguest, at its sole discretion, determines to be fraudulent or otherwise inauthentic.

My boyfriend's account has escaped the ban so far, and we've both begun checking in ONLY when actually at places or within very close range. His points are still accruing and I'm hoping to be reinstated.
I suspect the bans have nothing to do with whether you are actually near the location or not, as TopGuest can't determine this directly. You can check in to one location on the east coast and one on the west coast within seconds of each other (using an app) and it won't pose a problem. They could add the distances between the places you check in and divide by the time span to indirectly determine improbable situations, but this would be both cumbersome and inaccurate (not all check-in locations/times are properly reported). Instead, the bans are probably based on a simple threshold of too many check-ins within a certain time frame. Perhaps this isn't a 24-hour period, but a 7-day or month-long one, as they don't want to cry foul on the occasional rapid-fire-but-legit flurry. Be efficient, but not greedy, and everyone wins (including the companies gaining awareness).
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:47 am

Have just had some priority club points post to my account. Although the only thing is that it is slightly lower than what I was expecting.

Anyone else had this?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: aa
I just checked my account and I have the same issue. They don't seem to be doing the batch posting properly. My HH account has had no issues and it has daily postings.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: PC Platinum, DL Gold, CO Gold, HH Gold, Starwood Gold
I check-in each weekday at a Wingate, Holiday Inn and Comfort Suites that I pass on my drive either to or from the office. I pass within 200 meters of each property and check-in from my IPhone using Foursquare or occasionally Facebook. The check-ins are typically all within a three minute time frame. I have never had any problem with being issued credit for the check-ins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.