Reload this Page >

Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mooper
Nix that. Just checked, Viola has started to post. Success with all nine partners.
Just signed up for Viola... wow their website is unstable.

What did you put in the ID? I can't seem to find my ID number... (and their website is down again...)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bworrell
Just signed up for Viola... wow their website is unstable.

What did you put in the ID? I can't seem to find my ID number... (and their website is down again...)
I don't recall precisely where I got it, but I'm pretty sure it showed up on the web page when I first signed up. I copied and pasted that account #. Try logging into your account and look around for it. Multiple postings have worked for me now, with all nine partners.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Am I the first one to do a TopGuest Run?

Upon arrival at SYR last week, I stopped at the hotel cluster near the airport. There's a Holiday Inn, Doubletree, and Quality Inn right next to each other. Easy way to top off accounts...

On my way out, I reset the expiration for my Virgin America account. I checked into several of the VX entries at SFO - the one that credited was "Virgin America Baggage Claim".

I'm using Foursquare on an iPhone - zero problems with recognizing the check-ins so far.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA MM Gold, UA, DL, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Question Does anyone know what time Topguest's "day" resets?

Friday night (24th) at around 9:15 CST I checked-in to both a Doubletree and Holiday Inn using Yahoo Places. Sure enough, a few minutes later they showed up in my Topguest account but both showed as a check-in on the 25th. I checked-in to both again mid-day on the 25th, but only scored the one set of points. So now I'm trying to figure out when their day rolls over. Anyone have any ideas??
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by WolfManDoug
Friday night (24th) at around 9:15 CST I checked-in to both a Doubletree and Holiday Inn using Yahoo Places. Sure enough, a few minutes later they showed up in my Topguest account but both showed as a check-in on the 25th. I checked-in to both again mid-day on the 25th, but only scored the one set of points. So now I'm trying to figure out when their day rolls over. Anyone have any ideas??
I think it is 5:00 PM Mountain Time. I typically do my check-ins around 5:30 PM and it always shows up the next day.

Last edited by scocjo; Dec 28, 2010 at 4:42 pm Reason: added PM
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I got this today in my email:

We noticed you're a big user of Topguest (great) but that you seem to be using the service in ways that violate our Terms of Service (less great).

Specifically, we have noticed over time that you seem to be checking in to our partner venues in a way that is not in the spirit of the Topguest program and in breach of Section (1) (c) of our TOS.

We are hereby suspending your account and will not be forwarding instances of you receiving points to our partners. You may continue to check-in and will see your rewards on Topguest.com or in the mobile applications but you will not be awarded points for these check-ins.

We look forward to you using Topguest in the manner we intended and will resume crediting points to your account when we see a change in behavior.
It's kinda strange as I just started using Topguest a few weeks ago.

EDIT: My wife got this also and has only been a member for 7 days

Last edited by bworrell; Dec 29, 2010 at 10:05 pm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bworrell
I got this today in my email:

It's kinda strange as I just started using Topguest a few weeks ago.

EDIT: My wife got this also and has only been a member for 7 days
I also got this, and I have been using it only for a few weeks, too.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So can you give us some info on what might have been the problem? Hotel check-ins only? Not near the place?

I try to add in a ton of other check-ins, and I don't necessarily do a hotel every day.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA MM Gold, UA, DL, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
"Specifically, we have noticed over time that you seem to be checking in to our partner venues in a way that is not in the spirit of the Topguest program and in breach of Section (1) (c) of our TOS."

Section 1 C of the TOS states: By sharing a check-in at a place with Topguest, you represent and warrant that you are actually at that location. Topguest reserves the right to refuse to give rewards for checkins that Topguest, at its sole discretion, determines to be fraudulent or otherwise inauthentic.

I wonder if checking in to too many places in a short time period leads them to conclude that you are not "actually at that location".
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by WolfManDoug
I wonder if checking in to too many places in a short time period leads them to conclude that you are not "actually at that location".
This is precisely how they filter accounts for a usage that violates T&C.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA, UA, US, AA
I too received the same email after only a few weeks of Topguest use.

I've noticed that Facebook Places and Gowalla require you to be within a few meters of the target, whereas Foursquare allows you to check in from a great distance.
Topguest must have run a check against the properties being checked-into and the "precise geolocation information from each of the location-based services" as mentioned below.

I wonder how long the suspension period will be.

As Mooper wrote back in message #15:

Dear [Mooper],

Topguest currently enables you to get points from the world's biggest loyalty program, Priority Club, and rewards from the coolest hotels in America, The Standard hotels, just for checking in on foursquare, Gowalla, Twitter and Brightkite. We can do this because we retrieve precise geolocation information from each of the location-based services, and then apply our own anti-fraud rules. That way, we know that each check-in is a bona fide visit to the hotels awarding you points.
Recent improvements in out anti-fraud rules mean that, for now, we are ceasing to support Yelp, Loopt and Google Latitude. We will, of course, reward you with points for any check-ins that you have made to this point on those services, but will not do so going forward.
So, look forward to receiving your points soon and link up other services (Gowalla, foursquare, Twitter or Brightkite) on your Settings page!
Cheers,
The Topguest Team.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jools1006
I too received the same email after only a few weeks of Topguest use.

I've noticed that Facebook Places and Gowalla require you to be within a few meters of the target, whereas Foursquare allows you to check in from a great distance.
Topguest must have run a check against the properties being checked-into and the "precise geolocation information from each of the location-based services" as mentioned below.

I wonder how long the suspension period will be.

As Mooper wrote back in message #15:

Dear [Mooper],

Topguest currently enables you to get points from the world's biggest loyalty program, Priority Club, and rewards from the coolest hotels in America, The Standard hotels, just for checking in on foursquare, Gowalla, Twitter and Brightkite. We can do this because we retrieve precise geolocation information from each of the location-based services, and then apply our own anti-fraud rules. That way, we know that each check-in is a bona fide visit to the hotels awarding you points.
Recent improvements in out anti-fraud rules mean that, for now, we are ceasing to support Yelp, Loopt and Google Latitude. We will, of course, reward you with points for any check-ins that you have made to this point on those services, but will not do so going forward.
So, look forward to receiving your points soon and link up other services (Gowalla, foursquare, Twitter or Brightkite) on your Settings page!
Cheers,
The Topguest Team.
Consider what the "precise geolocation information" is and whether the check-in services know precisely where you are in the first place (there are many ways to make the service "think" you are somewhere you are not).

The instrumental point is that if you push a good thing too far, it will go away. There are easy,efficient ways to utilize this service so it benefits you - just be smart and prudent. If you've been checking into 50 hotels per week, they can easily filter, find, and ban you - as they should.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Is this valid in the UK? I have got around to signing up, but it is not showing
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
I can answer that now, I have 50 pts showing up on the top guests rewards,. so it looks like it worls here in the UK
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Amyrlin
Is this valid in the UK? I have got around to signing up, but it is not showing
I've got points for Hilton & Priority Club in UK so far

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.