Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 8, 10, 11:01 am   #151

Programs: AA G, IHG PL AMB, SPG G, MR G, AMEX PL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnana View Post
Fox, how do you do that? I tried to check into Double Tree using the Mozilla app as well as http://foursquare.com/mobile/

Both yielded nothing...
I use 4S for iPhone.
Old Dec 9, 10, 10:30 am   #152

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppoX View Post
Not sure this answers your question because it is just one data point:
last post of PC points to my account was dated 12/6/2010.
Thanks, but I knew the last batch posted on the 6th. I'm wondering if they posted all points up until the 6th or if they posted points, from say October 12-December 1, which were then deposited on the 6th.

I think I'm probably just missing some points or miscalculated something since no one else on this thread has reported problems.
bosbdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 10, 4:05 pm   #153

Programs: UA gold --> silver, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Web & API

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnana View Post
I tried to check into Double Tree using the Mozilla app as well as http://foursquare.com/mobile/
Weird that the web one did not work for you - seemed to work well for me.

For API, on a linux based system you can just call "curl -u EMAIL:PASSWORD -d vid=VENUEID -d private=1 http://api.foursquare.com/v1/checkin" (you can get the venue ID from the above link).
Private = 1 means no publishing of your whereabouts.
ranshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 10, 4:08 pm   #154

Programs: UA gold --> silver, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Some points for those who may have skipped the FAQ

(I'm one of them, and perhaps it's not mentioned - wouldn't know, as I haven't read it...)

These are from an email exchange with TopGuest support:

HHonors only includes Doubletree
Choice hotels is only Quality Inn, Cambria Suites and Comfort Suites
Wyndham, we currently have a partnership with Wingate
FYI, we currently only award points for check-ins at venues with 'Virgin America' in the name
ranshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 10, 5:22 pm   #155

Programs: DL
are you guys really giving topguest your facebook login information or am i reading their website wrong ? i definitely won't do that, but if i can use the standalone foursquare app to do this it might be worth it.
decibel08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 10, 9:57 am   #156

Programs: DL:DM AA:PLT/2MM US:PP UA:1P SPG:GLD IHG:PLT MAR:PLT/LT GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel08 View Post
are you guys really giving topguest your facebook login information or am i reading their website wrong ? i definitely won't do that, but if i can use the standalone foursquare app to do this it might be worth it.
There are lots of apps that require your FB login/pass to work. As long as the company is trustworthy, you shouldn't worry any more than you would giving your credit card info, etc., to a trusted online site. Topguest is reputable - I wouldn't sweat it.

Btw, for all of you having issues with check-in, an easy solution is to download the Foursquare extension for the Google Chrome browser, make sure your city is set correctly, and then check in to your relevant hotel(s).
Old Dec 11, 10, 11:00 am   #157

Programs: DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooper View Post
There are lots of apps that require your FB login/pass to work. As long as the company is trustworthy, you shouldn't worry any more than you would giving your credit card info, etc., to a trusted online site. Topguest is reputable - I wouldn't sweat it.

Btw, for all of you having issues with check-in, an easy solution is to download the Foursquare extension for the Google Chrome browser, make sure your city is set correctly, and then check in to your relevant hotel(s).
hmm. well i guess i haven't been exposed to those apps yet. i also resist many websites' pleas to give them my gmail account info to 'find my friends' etc, because a login to fbook or gmail is potentially damaging in different ways than an abused cc number. with the cc, you can dispute charges and close the account and so forth, and that is a system that is set up to require you to give your number to merchants. fbook definitely didn't intend for you to be sharing your login info with the webmaster of topguest.com. that's a dealbreaker for me!
decibel08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 10, 6:50 pm   #158

Quote:
hmm. well i guess i haven't been exposed to those apps yet. i also resist many websites' pleas to give them my gmail account info to 'find my friends' etc, because a login to fbook or gmail is potentially damaging in different ways than an abused cc number. with the cc, you can dispute charges and close the account and so forth, and that is a system that is set up to require you to give your number to merchants. fbook definitely didn't intend for you to be sharing your login info with the webmaster of topguest.com. that's a dealbreaker for me!
I'm not knocking your prudence... it's better to be careful... but I'm trying to encourage you to not restrict yourself from safe practices that will benefit you. As long as the root domain showing in the address bar is owned by a reputable company, then giving private info - financial, email, etc. - is no less risky (in fact, typically safer) than sharing it in person at a store, etc. It's when you start throwing around personal information without knowing how to distinguish a legit company from a scam or a phishing attempt that you get into trouble. Also, it might help if you take a look at the detailed privacy policies of the companies involved. They probably aren't utilizing your information in the manner you fear. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had the same email address for 14 years, and I have literally 1000+ online accounts, many that share information in the manners we've been discussing, and I haven't had a single serious incident. I am, however, quite careful in what I share with whom.
Old Dec 11, 10, 8:17 pm   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranshe View Post
FYI, we currently only award points for check-ins at venues with 'Virgin America' in the name
That's pretty ridiculous, considering that in their announcement they specified "at a Virgin America airport terminal, baggage claim, or other venue". I certainly assumed that as long as I was in the right terminal, I would get the points. I wonder what they actually expect you to do. At SFO and SEA, there seem to be check-ins for each VX flight number, but that defeats the whole purpose of Foursquare.
aviators99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 10, 11:30 pm   #160

Quote:
fbook definitely didn't intend for you to be sharing your login info with the webmaster of topguest.com. that's a dealbreaker for me!
Actually, one of Facebook's goals is to become the "One True Way" of logging in on the internet using their Facebook Connect platform. That's what Top Guest uses (as does FT if you look underneath your Welcome message). With FB Connect the website never actually sees your login info; Facebook takes your login info and passes back a token to the website that confirms your identity. It's a pretty safe protocol.

BTW I have no connection to TopGuest, but I am a web software engineer that works a lot w/ Facebook's platform so just trying to help.
bismark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 10, 4:45 pm   #161

Programs: Delta Diamond, UA 1K, A3 Gold, Starwood Plat-, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
Anyone having trouble with Choice posting to your rewards list over the past couple of days? That's the only one I'm having trouble with....
bworrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 10, 7:23 pm   #162

Programs: DL FO/DSC/PL AMEX, US Silver, HH Silver, PC Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, BW Plat,UA, AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bworrell View Post
Anyone having trouble with Choice posting to your rewards list over the past couple of days? That's the only one I'm having trouble with....
Haven't had anything post to Choice yet, but they all show in my topguest account. Just started hitting Choice on the 14th so about a week of activity.
Old Dec 20, 10, 8:12 pm   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworrell View Post
Choice posts via a Quality Inn for me. Only one I haven't mastered is Voila.

UPDATE:

Nix that. Just checked, Viola has started to post. Success with all nine partners.

Last edited by mooper; Dec 20, 10 at 9:32 pm..
mooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 10, 4:59 pm   #164

Programs: United
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooper View Post
I disagree. I use Facebook Connect on several sites that I run, but I don't recommend using it as an end user. It's real scary stuff. Every FB users is given a unique User ID #, UID. When you login to a random site with your FB login credentials the first thing they do is download every piece of information that facebook will give them access to including your UID. That UID can then be used with other information aggregated from other companies and connected back to you with the UID. If you don't click the log out button on facebook your session remains open and anyone can grab your FB UID as you surf the web. Go to a website about Activity 1 will make Company X tell Company Y to dispay an ad about activity 1. Some people care about this and some people don't. The difference with giving a CC to someone and a FB id is that 99% of people know what can happen when your CC# information is comparmised, but only 1% know what happens when you FB# is.

If a mainstream website intends to use your information responsibly they will have their own log in system. If they force you to use Facebook connect they are up to no good. My advice is NEVER USE Facebook Connect and ALWAYS Log out when you leave facebook's site.
marcdd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 10, 5:07 pm   #165

Programs: United
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismark View Post
Actually, one of Facebook's goals is to become the "One True Way" of logging in on the internet using their Facebook Connect platform. That's what Top Guest uses (as does FT if you look underneath your Welcome message). With FB Connect the website never actually sees your login info; Facebook takes your login info and passes back a token to the website that confirms your identity. It's a pretty safe protocol.
They won't hack your FB page, but that token can then be used to grab a lot more information about you including your profile picture. Be weary of any webiste that has you use FB connect and a password for their own site. If that password is your FB/email password you could be in for a world of hurt.
marcdd2 is offline   Reply With Quote