Wiki Posts
Search

For those who buy groceries at Super Walmart and have an AMEX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
For those who buy groceries at Super Walmart and have an AMEX

I'm not sure how many people actually do their grocery shopping at Super Walmart, but since one is near my house and their prices beat the pants off of Harris Teeter, I buy most of my non-perishable items from there. I recently discovered that through the AMEX shopping portal, you can buy Walmart gift cards for 3x the points (3 MR points per $1). I know the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card already earns 2 MR points per $1 (EDIT: this should read 2MR points per $1 on groceries, but this is only if you shop at stand-alone grocery stores not places like Walmart/Sams), but this earns you an extra 1MR point per $1 so I figured I would pass it along.

Last edited by 4Health; Apr 24, 2010 at 11:45 am
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Thanks very much for the heads up. I was just about to go down and purchase a big ticket item down there but thanks to your post I just purchased it through the online mall with shipping to home for .97 cents and got the triple-points to boot. Thanks again.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
At the bonus points mall with my Platinum card it is 4x MR points for the gift card purchase. I bought a WalMart card for gas, as I get .03 cents off per gallon in addition to the points that I trade in for miles on each miles promo. I did have to email to customer service to get the bonus points, but they did post.

http://www.bonuspointsmall.com/

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:09 am

Programs: Delta,AA,Marriott Platinum, Hilton Honors, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold
Thanks! Nice info to pass along!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Hey an extra point is an extra point. I have forwarded this to a couple AMEX users I know. Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: HHonors-D, Delta Silver, IHG Plat
Love the Points

I have been doing this for the past couple of years. We bought a house last year and needed supplies/equipment; consequently, I bought a lot of gift cards.

I go to our local Meijer(regional grocery) store, buy gift cards for Home Depot and then the next day I use the cards at Home Depot. One has to wait for the cards to become active , hence the one day wait.

I have probably used $3-4k in Home Depot cards the past 6 months. I am using Hilton Surpass card for 6 points/$. So instead of getting 8k points if I used my card at home Depot I got 32k by using the gift cards. My friends think I'm crazy, that it is too much trouble, shuttling back and forth between stores. I like the free rooms. I also buy restaurant gift cards and use them as needed.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I assume that this is for AmEx's "points" and not for AmEx's Hilton Honors card? Or is it?

HTSC
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
I assume that this is for AmEx's "points" and not for AmEx's Hilton Honors card? Or is it?

HTSC
Buying gift cards at Meijers is considered a grocery purchase and earns double points with the Amex Hilton card. (6 points per dollar)

Cheers!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by 4Health
I'm not sure how many people actually do their grocery shopping at Super Walmart, but since one is near my house and their prices beat the pants off of Harris Teeter, I buy most of my non-perishable items from there. I recently discovered that through the AMEX shopping portal, you can buy Walmart gift cards for 3x the points (3 MR points per $1). I know the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card already earns 2 MR points per $1, but this earns you an extra 1MR point per $1 so I figured I would pass it along.
Walmart purchase counts as a grocery purchase?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Walmart purchase counts as a grocery purchase?
No, not normally, which is why I got the idea to use the gift card since I was sick of getting only 1 MR point per $1 spent on groceries even though the card offers 2 MR points per $1 on groceries. I fixed it in my first post also.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Is there an equivalent to the bonus points mall for UK Amex cardholders?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
At the bonus points mall with my Platinum card it is 4x MR points for the gift card purchase. I bought a WalMart card for gas, as I get .03 cents off per gallon in addition to the points that I trade in for miles on each miles promo. I did have to email to customer service to get the bonus points, but they did post.

http://www.bonuspointsmall.com/

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Do you get 3 BONUS pts for each dollar you spend on the wm card? Plus the 1 pt for the charge on the Amex? Or is it 3 MR pts total per dollar for a wm gc?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:12 pm

Thanks. Just got the AMEX Premier REwards card today; will look to buy the gift cards online for 3x the points. Cool!

Jim
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Great deal.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:16 am

all AMEX cards?

Does this work for all AMEX cards? I have a DL Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.