Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 26, 10, 8:20 pm   #76

Programs: AA PLAT & Lifetime Gold, UA GOLD, HH Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG PLAT, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
I echo the many thanks for this great summary! Question - are there are partner relationships with E-trade or any other similar discount online brokerage houses?
Ritz, Sorry. not that I am aware of.
aglp2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 10, 10:03 am   #77

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglp2k View Post
I think the Starwood promotion is the best available from TD Ameritrade. For $25k opening deposit you get 20,000 SPG points(10,000 immediately and 10,000 after 6 months) which in turn can be converted to 25,000 airline miles of your choice. SPG gives a bonus of 5k miles with every 20k miles transfer.

Fidelity needs $50k to get 25,000 miles and you are limited only to AA/UA/DL miles from what I know.

Link to SPG promotion at TD Ameritrade (This offer expires March 31, 2010. They may continue the promotion next month)

Link to AMEX MR Points from Fidelity (Expires September 30, 2010)
It is now open to June 30, 2010.
thebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 10, 2:00 pm   #78

Programs: Marriott PP, SPG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
If i leave $25,000 in BankDirect, that would give me 22,500 AA miles in 9 months. Leaving the same money in TD Account would give 20K starpoints=25,000 miles. I see that difference is Starpoints Vs AA miles and 2,500 more starpoints. Is that enough to open a new bank account?? If we can take out money before 9 months the it will be certainly a great deal. Any flaws in my understanding?? Is there any other way to make this deal sweeter?

Last edited by stldude; Mar 27, 10 at 2:06 pm.
stldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 10, 2:29 pm   #79

Programs: AA, BA, DL, SPG and Marriott
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
Thanks, I either put it into my BA Chase 100k account or my DL acoount with 6k in it thanks to South Africa.
91lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 10, 1:26 pm   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stldude View Post
If i leave $25,000 in BankDirect, that would give me 22,500 AA miles in 9 months. Leaving the same money in TD Account would give 20K starpoints=25,000 miles. I see that difference is Starpoints Vs AA miles and 2,500 more starpoints. Is that enough to open a new bank account?? If we can take out money before 9 months the it will be certainly a great deal. Any flaws in my understanding?? Is there any other way to make this deal sweeter?
With the money at TD Ameritrade you can earn a return on your money also. Even if you are extremely risk averse you can at least put the money into a money market fund.
hellothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 10, 4:49 pm   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by stldude View Post
I think, technically (and that's how we are here) you just need the account open for 9 months, but the funding in there for 6 months. So that's 15,000 miles in the BankDirect arena.
josephstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 10, 8:31 pm   #82

Programs: Marriott PP, SPG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
With the money at TD Ameritrade you can earn a return on your money also. Even if you are extremely risk averse you can at least put the money into a money market fund.
Good point. Totally forgot that it was trading account which can be invested for return. Thanks for pointing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I think, technically (and that's how we are here) you just need the account open for 9 months, but the funding in there for 6 months. So that's 15,000 miles in the BankDirect arena.
It makes more sense to do this if money needs to be there only for 6 months. It looks much better when the difference is 10,000 starpoints.

One more thing for comparison between BankDirect and TD account is the availability of funds. With TD, money is stuck for 6 months to get 20,000 starpoints. With BankDirect, money can be taken out as needed. I am not saying that TD deal is not good, it's great if you can spare $25K for 6 months.
stldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 10, 10:51 am   #83

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT, Sheraton Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginandtrombones View Post
Does this follow with the terms of retaining the "qualifying funding" ? Thats really my only concern with this method. Keeping a nominal balance wouldn't' be a problem, however I can't justify keeping 10k in the account.

One thought - Perhaps you can put in a "qualifying" balance of 2,500. Then churn through enough to earn the higher rewards, while retaining the 2,500 for the 6 month duration?
I did what you were saying and ended up leaving $2500 in there...I have all 25K in miles already and they haven't pulled any back yet...not sure they could anyway? Anyone have experience with a company yanking miles back out?
gunpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 10, 10:59 am   #84

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, Choice, WN, AA, BA, UA, HA, Avis
Best is to put money with Fidelity or TD Ameritrade AND BankDirect

I had a significant amount with Fidelity... transferred $25k to Ameritrade to get their SPG Bonus, and transferring $50k as soon as this CD matures to BankDirect.

5k miles / month tax-free is worth more than 1.x% interest rates that are taxed to death.
rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 10, 2:16 am   #85

Absolute new customers only???

Hope someone with similar situation can help me out.
I have had a Fidelity Account a long long time ago (over 10 years) and at that time, it was only available as a mutual fund account.
I would like to get AA miles for opening an account. The rep from Fidelity/AA promotion section says that I do not qualify because I already have a Fidelity account but I called the regular Fidelity Rep and was told that my Fidelity is a mutual fund only account and not a brokerage account. This will mean that I should qualify for the promotion since the promotion is for a new Fidelity brokerage account.
I have read from some other thread that I can also open a Joint Account and that will be considered new to Fidelity account and get the miles (my current account is individual and NOT joint).
Can someone help....
pchen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 10, 6:48 am   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchen0 View Post
Hope someone with similar situation can help me out.
I have had a Fidelity Account a long long time ago (over 10 years) and at that time, it was only available as a mutual fund account.
I would like to get AA miles for opening an account. The rep from Fidelity/AA promotion section says that I do not qualify because I already have a Fidelity account but I called the regular Fidelity Rep and was told that my Fidelity is a mutual fund only account and not a brokerage account. This will mean that I should qualify for the promotion since the promotion is for a new Fidelity brokerage account.
I have read from some other thread that I can also open a Joint Account and that will be considered new to Fidelity account and get the miles (my current account is individual and NOT joint).
Can someone help....
IME, Fidelity is Fidelity - and since the brokerage/promotions dept is the one that generally approves the account/issues (or authorizes) the award, you're probably ineligible for the promo.
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 10, 3:39 pm   #87

fidelity

the whole thing is you have to leave money put for 6 months to get starpoints where everything i've read says churning money in and out gets you the points at fidelity...so get your points leave $100 in the account for 6 months and move on....so far nobody is posting that this will not work, so fidelity seems the better of the 2 deals
wise2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 10, 4:58 pm   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise2u View Post
the whole thing is you have to leave money put for 6 months to get starpoints where everything i've read says churning money in and out gets you the points at fidelity...so get your points leave $100 in the account for 6 months and move on....so far nobody is posting that this will not work, so fidelity seems the better of the 2 deals
True, but BOTH deals are even better.
josephstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 10, 10:06 am   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise2u View Post
Yea, that should be the plan. I like this.

Last edited by arietal; Apr 10, 10 at 2:10 pm.
arietal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 10, 6:57 am   #90

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold.
Has anyone else had trouble opening a Fidelity brokerage account online? Their website won't accept my address, and I've tried removing all punctuation marks in the address fields (as suggested by the Fidelity representative). I'd rather not have to submit this through the post.
patgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote