Question on purchase an open ticket

Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ -KF(ex PPS), LH-M&M, AF-FB
Question on purchase an open ticket

Hello,
when I was in BKK some days ago I wanted to buy an open ticket at the LH city office .
I wanted to buy an open ticket with no carrier mentioned e.g. yyBKK-SIN-FRA ; FRA-HAM and return yyHAM-FRA; FRA-SIN-BKK in F-class.
The girls there told me I cant buy it with LH at least the first segment must be booked e.g on LX to SIN , a booking of a FRA-HAM segment on LH for with dummy date is not possible.
They offered me a ticket in A-booking class which only works with LX, LH, OS flight No's.

Why is LH not selling a fully open ticket with my choice ofcarrier for the long haul out- and inbound where only a LH covered segment e.g. FRA-HAM is booked on LH with such a ticket?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:53 am

Difficult to understand why you were trying to do this.

Anyway, an open segment always mentions a carrier, but no date or flight number. If the fare allows it you can always switch the carrier later.

Why didn't you make a firm reservation for the first segment? You can always rebook it later. LH BKK has good ticket agents, they normally do everything they can to make you happy. Looks like a real communication problem.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by ulev

Anyway, an open segment always mentions a carrier, but no date or flight number. If the fare allows it you can always switch the carrier later.....
That`s not correct !
you can book and sell

yy F 01JAN BKK SIN
the entry in AMADEUS for this is SOYYF01JANBKKSIN

But the airlines not like to sell this ! Because the system does not count the airport taxes and fuel surcharges on these tickets ! It prices out only with the net fare ! And when checking in the agent has to check if these surcharges are paid ( and if not ) the customer has to pay them at the counter then ! Most airlines dont have the staff who knows about that , at checkinn counters, and so they would lose these surcharges.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by ulev

Anyway, an open segment always mentions a carrier, but no date or flight number. If the fare allows it you can always switch the carrier later.

Why didn't you make a firm reservation for the first segment? You can always rebook it later. LH BKK has good ticket agents, they normally do everything they can to make you happy. Looks like a real communication problem.
I used to get LH paper tickets in 1999-2000 BOM-FRA-LHR-JFK in full C- I remember they used to print "open" for both carrier and dates for all open segments which I used to take to BA for the transatlantic leg.
However, the first segment was always confirmed with carrier and date without which they can not issue the ticket.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:12 pm

No YY tickets within the EU anymore after Jan 01, this could explain why YY fares on FRA-HAM aren't possible.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by bertheike
That`s not correct !
you can book and sell

yy F 01JAN BKK SIN
the entry in AMADEUS for this is SOYYF01JANBKKSIN

But the airlines not like to sell this ! Because the system does not count the airport taxes and fuel surcharges on these tickets ! It prices out only with the net fare ! And when checking in the agent has to check if these surcharges are paid ( and if not ) the customer has to pay them at the counter then ! Most airlines dont have the staff who knows about that , at checkinn counters, and so they would lose these surcharges.
Always good to learn something new.@:-)
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ -KF(ex PPS), LH-M&M, AF-FB
Originally Posted by jarino
No YY tickets within the EU anymore after Jan 01, this could explain why YY fares on FRA-HAM aren't possible.
Hello,
this is new for me that no yy open are allowed anymore in 2007.

Also not paying the fuel charges and taxes is one reason trying to get open tickets- In many cases Check in agent forget it simply.
Not paying this extra charges sometimes an fully open fare ticket is not so much more anymore vs. a (slightly) discounted ticket binding you to a carrier or carrier group (nicely they call it market fare).
Also there is the possibility to have a validity which is more than one year for the paid price- at least i had this case once.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:02 pm

Programs: sq solitaire;LH-Sen
Originally Posted by fly-on-megatop
Hello,
this is new for me that no yy open are allowed anymore in 2007.

Also not paying the fuel charges and taxes is one reason trying to get open tickets- In many cases Check in agent forget it simply.
Not paying this extra charges sometimes an fully open fare ticket is not so much more anymore vs. a (slightly) discounted ticket binding you to a carrier or carrier group (nicely they call it market fare).
Also there is the possibility to have a validity which is more than one year for the paid price- at least i had this case once.
Hi,
at LH KUL office they have sold open tickets recently-reluctently but they did.
Advantage: no fuel charges-no taxes, but when flying SQ they check it!!.
Also you are really flexible- you can change covered routing-often bought KUL-SIN-ZRH and get flights SIN to ZRH via FRA/CDG/AMS/MXP/VIE.
Also its a fully paid ticket in C or F you get less problems with waitisting when fully booked.
cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.