Why does Cologne Hauptbahnhof have an airport code?

Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Why does Cologne Hauptbahnhof have an airport code?

Can anyone explain to me why Cologne airport has a 3 letter airport code (QKL)? I looked it up because I saw it on someone's luggage in KRK today and was curious about how this came to be.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: LH [FTL]
Some years ago, Lufthansa stopped flying FRA-CGN and also reduced the number of flights STR-FRA. Instead, Lufthansa is code-sharing on "flights" between Cologne and Frankfurt as well as between Stuttgart and Frankfurt with the DeutscheBahn, thus some trains have a LH flight number, you get a boarding pass instead of a train ticket and so on. This way, you don't need to buy a rail&fly ticket to get from Cologne to FRA, but you can simply book it as a flight, check-in in Cologne etc.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
And more importantly for some FTers, you can collect miles without flying.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
once upon a time, you could also check your bags in at QKL and not have to deal with them again until your final destination. I always thought that was pretty great... Less great picking them up, it always took a little while for them to make it down from the tracks...

and yes, the 625 miles one gets for FRA-QKL (with executive bonus) are pretty good.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
It's nice to think that someone may have once dream of an integrated air and rail network. I always thought it would be amazing to not have to lug my bags from home to Sheffield train station, through Kings Cross, around the Underground and the long walk from Heathrow train terminus to the terminals. I'll keep dreaming, shall I?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: LH [FTL]
In Switzerland this is possible, see this link. It costs 22 CHF for regular travellers, I think as a FTL they wanted to have half the price. I ended up not using it though and took my stuff as carry-on, thus I don't know exactly how it works. It is supposed to work also for the trip FROM the airport, but I think for this you first have to pick it up at the airport and hand it over to SBB who then deliver it to your railway station.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by roberino
It's nice to think that someone may have once dream of an integrated air and rail network. I always thought it would be amazing to not have to lug my bags from home to Sheffield train station, through Kings Cross, around the Underground and the long walk from Heathrow train terminus to the terminals. I'll keep dreaming, shall I?
LH even had a trial of a baggage service in 2008-9 in the greater FRA area (I think upto 120km) where your luggage would be picked up/dropped off the day before/after your flight. Sadly there were not too many takers for that pilot service, so it was dropped. Airlines and airports prefer pax arrive using public transport that way the traffic to/from the airport is more organised....
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:40 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Fliegen auf Flughhe Null

There was a full train reserved only for holders of air tickets. This called Lufthansa Airport Express was a kind of "wet leasing" a train. At that time the high-speed rail Frankfurt-Cologne was not finished and this train passed the romantic Rhine valley. Therefore an attraction for tourists!

A quick link:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB-Baureihe_403_%281973%29

The used a for that time hyper-modern train type which German Rail had only 3 of. Finally they got LH livery and interior. Due to logistic reasons and the Cologne-Bonn Airport being kept open they distincted between QKL/CGN.

During trade fair periods there was also an additional stop at Cologne-Deutz just 3 minustes from Cologne Hbf(QKL).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:05 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Quite a few main line railway stations in the world have Airport Codes assigned to them to allow through-ticketing on IATA ticketing stock.

AccessRail operates under airline code of 9B, and offers such through ticketing.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
AF also used to sell code shares with TGV, for instance CDG to Lyon. I do not know whether they still do this. Few years ago I remember connections to Lyon with TGV popping up in web engines. I do not remember what the IATA code was, though.

I also recall people using flight tickets to take the train from Paris to Brussels on similar basis.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by roberino
I took advantage several times of the baggage check in at paddington for the heathrow express.

Although I still had to lug my luggage across London from liverpool street, I always appeciated being able to drop it off here and not haul it any further. And then the quicker passing through departures, not having to queue for check-in etc.

Very nice it was.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by wazow
I do not remember what the IATA code was, though.
It is XYD, unless I am mistaken.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
I took advantage several times of the baggage check in at paddington for the heathrow express.

Although I still had to lug my luggage across London from liverpool street, I always appeciated being able to drop it off here and not haul it any further. And then the quicker passing through departures, not having to queue for check-in etc.

Very nice it was.
Hong Kong still has this service at two principal airport express stations (Kowloon and Hong Kong Central). It is very nice (although not a separate airport code).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Then they do not sell train tickets as flight tickets. I believe that LO has a similar service in the Warsaw city (http://lot.fi/dk/en/web/lot/check-in, search for Zlote Tarasy). I never used it though, so I do not know if they take luggage there, and if the service is popular at all.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: EK Gold, MM, BAEC, SPG, Sixt Plat
Swiss has the same service for Basel. From FCO there is only one direct option, but they give you the option of flying into Zurich and taking the train to Basel (with a separate boarding pass). I actually find that it can be cheaper to book this option when flying into Zurich and not take the train...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.