Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone flown the updated coach Lufthansa 747?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, B6 TrueBlue, TSA Disparager Bronze
Any Updates on 747-400 new whY?

Hello;
Got a few legs scheduled on Lufthansa next June (all in Y), and I feel like the information regarding Lufthansa's progress in updating its 744 cabin is old. Are only two frames equipped with the new seats? I know about D-ABVC (which has made its way to Boston) and D-ABVK, but I'm wondering if any more have rolled off the line, and when we can expect more in service.
Thanks!
Ross
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:50 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rstanley1
Hello;
Got a few legs scheduled on Lufthansa next June (all in Y), and I feel like the information regarding Lufthansa's progress in updating its 744 cabin is old. Are only two frames equipped with the new seats? I know about D-ABVC (which has made its way to Boston) and D-ABVK, but I'm wondering if any more have rolled off the line, and when we can expect more in service.
Thanks!
Ross
Welcome to FT, rstanley1!

I believe all 744s with retrofitted F cabins also have the new seats with seatback TVs in Y. There are currently (at least) 9 of them with one more scheduled to be done this year.

D-ABVC, D-ABVH, D-ABVK, D-ABVL, D-ABVN, D-ABVO, D-ABVP, D-ABVR, D-ABVS
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:41 am

I'm flying back from Stuttgart to Kansas City in December, but my choice of connecting airports could be Zurich, Munich, or Frankfurt. Looking at the Frankfurt options, I could be on...

1) LH0430 (744) from FRA to ORD
2) LH0446 (now 744; when I booked, A346) from FRA to DEN
2) UA0941 (772) from FRA to ORD

I take the risk of not having a PTV on the 744s, but I also risk not having VOD in the UA777. Any idea which gamble has higher odds?

It looks like 1/3 of each of the UA 772 and LH 744 fleets have been updated, so I'm not sure based solely on equipment choice which one is better. I'm leaning toward LH for better food and beverages, but I also do love the 777 -- just typically not in UA's 2-5-2 arrangement.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:43 am

I flew on D-ABTC in Y class on LH441 from IAH to FRA on Dec. 23rd, and our plane was not updated with PTVs. We brought a laptop and plenty of DVDs to watch, so it wasn't so bad. I'm glad we were prepared!

I can confirm that the plane does not have air vents in the panels above the seats, and the seat in front of me was in such bad shape that the left side of it was angled back into my row throughout the entire flight, even when the person in front of me had their seat back all the way up.

LH recently announced that they are going to start using the A380 for the IAH-FRA route starting Aug. 1, 2012. This will definitely be an upgrade, and I'm looking forward to it!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:58 pm

Flew D-ABVP two weeks ago from HKG and D-ABVS to HKG just now and can confirm both have the updated product with PTV and new seats in Y. Seat pitch is 32" I'd estimate.

Overall a pretty solid experience, true for both the hard and soft product, though the service and choice of movies is not up to CX/EK respectively.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Silver, DL SIlver, Marriott TE/LTPE, HH Gold,
Do these retrofitted Y seats have in-seat power options now?

I'm going to be taking LH 455 SFO-FRA in the coming weeks and it looks like we've got the new cabin for this flight according to the F seat map.

Need to figure out if I should bring an extra laptop battery with me.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:32 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by mugatu

I'm going to be taking LH 455 SFO-FRA in the coming weeks and it looks like we've got the new cabin for this flight according to the F seat map.

AFAIK no 744 has in-seat power in Y.

All 744s now only carry 8 F pax. Some have window seats converted into beds and others have the same seats as before but each pax gets two seats. If you check the F seatmap only 8 seats are shown but it doesn't mean a retrofitted aircraft will fly the route on a given day.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:06 pm
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
Originally Posted by mugatu

Sorry, no in-seat power. Others have mentioned that you can ask to recharge in the galley, but that's certainly not a great option.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:08 pm

Anyone have any updates on this? I'm flying IAH-FRA in economy. What are the odds of this plane having been retro-fitted?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AA AC DL
Seat Guru has the LH 747 with the seatback TV upgrade, but no in-seat power
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by corbs315
Anyone have any updates on this? I'm flying IAH-FRA in economy. What are the odds of this plane having been retro-fitted?
If before 1st August, 35.7% or 10 out of 28 744s have PTV in Y. If on or after 1st August, 100% as the route will be served by the A380.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:15 pm

There's what must be one of the rare trip reports on LH 747 with the upgraded Y linked from the post below. The report contains lots of pictures and a review of upgraded economy seats.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-hd-video.html
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:11 pm

Hi guys, flying FRA-SFO mar 22 with LH 747 in economy! Does anyone have the updated list of registrations of the 747's with the new economy with personal ife?!? As a 12 hour flight is extremely long with no entertainment!
Cheers!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by GlennV78
Hi guys, flying FRA-SFO mar 22 with LH 747 in economy! Does anyone have the updated list of registrations of the 747's with the new economy with personal ife?!? As a 12 hour flight is extremely long with no entertainment!
Cheers!
The only one I know is D-ABVO.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by GlennV78
Cheers!
Welcome to FT, GlennV78!

As far as I know all the 747s with the new First Class cabin also have PTV in Economy. They are: D-ABVC, D-ABVH, D-ABVK, D-ABVL, D-ABVM, D-ABVN, D-ABVO, D-ABVP, D-ABVR, D-ABVS. In addition D-ABTF is also believed to have PTV in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.