Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Etiquette for hopping off a flight at a connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:13 am
Original Poster

So I'm going to hop off a flight at a connection. What's the etiquette? Since I'll already be checkin for the flight, I don't what them to wonder where I am and have all those "John Doe, please board your flight" announcements. Do I just go up to the gate and tell them I'm not going to board?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Just hop off and that's that. They'll still close the door on time even if you're not on board.
FYI. The remainder of your ticket will be cancelled.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
An agent once told me that they would rather not be told because then they legally have to cancel the ticket etc. and it just ends up being more paper work.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if any 1 gets in your way, ask politely if you can go by....

the important fact is the rest of your ticket will be canceled ....also, don't check baggage or be sure to get it checked short...

good luck...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I guess I'll just walk. It's the last leg of my trip so there won't be anything else to cancel. I'm all carry on.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by travfar
Thanks all. I guess I'll just walk. It's the last leg of my trip so there won't be anything else to cancel. I'm all carry on.
Do a search for "hidden city" on the forum here. You'll see this sort of thing happens fairly often.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Be careful where you do it if it's a single flight number! I booked an AI flight that operated DEL-VNS-HJR and "decided" to get off at VNS. Agents check your boarding pass at the bottom of the stairs to make sure you're supposed to be getting off, and I was ordered to get back on the flight. I politely but emphatically refused several times which caused some problem and involved security and others with the airline. Ultimately, they realized they couldn't force me back onto the plane, but did detain me until the flight landed in HJR to ensure I hadn't placed a bomb on board and charged me the fare difference (about $20, though they'd tried to say they would be charging me hundreds when they were still trying to cajole me to get back on board).
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Palal
Just hop off and that's that. They'll still close the door on time even if you're not on board.
FYI. The remainder of your ticket will be cancelled.
+1
Don't sweat it. Enjoy your MR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.