Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 2, 14, 12:07 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: ag2000
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary!

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject.

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 21, 08, 8:06 am   #1
Moderator: Mileage Run

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, BA Gold, DL FO/MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Sixt Diamond
Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

We got people in the "post everything on the board" camp, and we got people in the "don't post on the board, since it screws the deal" camp.

We've recently seen several threads dealing with "trick it / negotiate it" type of deals which were not in line with how the Mileage Run forum is supposed to operate (which can be accessed at Welcome to the Mileage Run Forum - Important information how the MR forums work).

In theory, we could start threads dealing with the "trick it / negotiate it" type of deals on almost *each and every* discount fare across the Atlantic there is, since virtually 99% of the time, you can generate a "deal" that leaves certain surcharges off if you know how to do it.

This thread serves as some sort of "lounge thread" where anything related to "trick it / negotiate it" type of deals can go - which is beyond the accustomed way how this forum works. Hopefully this "lounge" thread will give those who would still like to discuss these types of deal an ample place to do so - while the "Mileage Run Deals" forum is not being cluttered with information that many Flyertalkers feel that is not appropriate and in line with how this forum works.

If you want to play games, then play your games within the confined enviroment of this thread - please refrain from starting new threads to play those games.

Kind Regards

rcs85551
Moderator, Mileage Run forums

Last edited by rcs85551; Oct 22, 08 at 2:12 pm.
rcs85551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:30 am   #2

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
DC-LON-DC : Rt. from $309 A.I.

Ok, first of all, thanks to Raffles! Using his minimalistic but useful tips, I was able to find his original deal plus I was able to make it even better for people in the DC/VA/MD area. For those who know how to do this, the same concept used on the WAS-MAD works here. For those who don't know enough about the tips and tricks, read below. You may be able to figure it out:

[Time is up!]

Ok, I hope this makes some sense. I'm trying to be a little funny and helpful at the same time.

Raffles: if you think I'm breaking the spirit of how your deals should be posted please PM me.

I'll remove all the tips after 12:00 PM EST today just to give the real FlyerTalk enthusiast the opportunity to figure this out

Have fun!
Angel

Last edited by amiras; Oct 22, 08 at 10:01 am.
amiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:34 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt+Mariott Mid-tier, PWP General Secretary
The karate part through me for a sec, but I think I got it. I still do not understand the EZE reference.
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:38 am   #4

Programs: PC Plat Amb, Miles&More Sen, AF/KLM Gold, SPG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
The karate part through me for a sec, but I think I got it. I still do not understand the EZE reference.
I think that not EZE but BA.
ddoliwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:39 am   #5

Programs: Delta PM
fun!...

This is going to have me stumped for a while. Thanks for ruining my productivity today. But, seriously, thanks! This should be fun.
NYCtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:40 am   #6
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiras View Post
I'll remove all the tips after 12:00 PM EST today
Do you mean 12:00PM EST (Eastern STANDARD time) or do you really mean 12:00PM EDT (Easter DAYLIGHT time)? We are not on standard time yet (Nov 2), so 12:00 EST is really 1:00PM EDT
fti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:41 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Do you mean 12:00PM EST (Eastern STANDARD time) or do you really mean 12:00PM EDT (Easter DAYLIGHT time)? We are not on standard time yet (Nov 2), so 12:00 EST is really 1:00PM EDT
lol...sorry about the confusion...let's say in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:42 am   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennis View Post
This is going to have me stumped for a while. Thanks for ruining my productivity today. But, seriously, thanks! This should be fun.
I know....Raffles already ruined it for me several times....I hope this is fun for everybody.
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:49 am   #9

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, CO Plat, Hertz 5Star
im stumped, can anyone help out a lost soul?
ethang801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:50 am   #10

Programs: AA PLT
Nice work, amiras!
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:51 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I presume no mileage earning opportunity here, and travel restricted to no-later-than early spring?

Thanks.
iahphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:56 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Can I presume no mileage earning opportunity here, and travel restricted to no-later-than early spring?
Thanks.
No idea about mileage and yes, plenty available 'til mid March '09.
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:58 am   #13

Even though I get a feeling I won't be able to make this trip, it's real fun to have clues such as these to solve. Will keep me busy this morning. Good work!
altan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 8:58 am   #14

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, American Advantage, Continental Onepass
I got a good price, but can you confirm if I can get $309 for NOV 7 to NOV 11?
dohko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 08, 9:05 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohko8 View Post
I got a good price, but can you confirm if I can get $309 for NOV 7 to NOV 11?
I did a quick search and coulnd't find it for those dates.
Not sure if this helps and/or works for you but: 11/4-11/11 $364 A.I.