Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:11 pm

When looking at combinability rules, I'm seeing two sets on both my outbound and my inbound journey. The two sets apparently contradict each other with one saying end on end permitted and one not. Why would this be and should I go any further?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Finally !!! A deal -- and a good one- especially from Texas -and DH's posting will hopefully be putting and end to the endless nonsense.

From NYC we have two choices of carrier and can use a beautiful 3X in one of two beautiful seas and pay as low as $ 232.90 All-in R/T . Of course C3 is a big place. Its a choice of one of two carrier colors, which if combined will make Green.
Thanks! Got all the fat off but my 3x is pricey and I get a total price of $440, which is fine for me. Just can't get it to work for the better carrier of the two, any tip on that? If not I will just go with the other one
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by ft101
When looking at combinability rules, I'm seeing two sets on both my outbound and my inbound journey. The two sets apparently contradict each other with one saying end on end permitted and one not. Why would this be and should I go any further?
Regarding EOE the more stringent rule applies, so no adding 1 or 3s. Your two fares most likely don't need EOE to combine, as they are combined to form a round trip.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:50 am

Of course C3 is a big place.
True. And C1w-C3 for $193.96. Twice this route $319.02.

Last edited by man4business; Sep 27, 2016 at 5:04 am Reason: because I want
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:41 am

First one!

Ive made my first one saving 80 with a 3x
I know its nothing compared to u guys but I'm just starting
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by man4business
True. And C1w-C3 for $193.96. Twice this route $319.02.

Any hints on this? I'm in the city of emeralds and would love to try!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by mustardboy
Any hints on this? I'm in the city of emeralds and would love to try!
A general guide:if you really want to try, be optimist and just think. How many cities in C1w and in C3 come into play? Unlimited? Not at all. Try to write them down (create a database, excel entry, or just ascii file, whatever...). Keep in mind they are just airports serving intercontinental flights. Then, if something is cheap, it must have low BF. This is the key point. How to find it? Quite a tedious job with ITA. Perhaps expert flyer will be easier? You can sign up for a trial 5 days. Then you need to check all combinations. It will not take the whole day. It should take 10-15 minutes. Then you have candidates. Try to read fare rules and check the optimistic version (EoE permitted). It does not guarantee anything (just do not think that every EoE permitted means "dumpability") but... with those selected candidates you can continue optimistic version. It means just a strike. You may think finding strikes is impossible. Well... sometimes it is the easiest part (once you have a good candidate). And this is the end of this guide (which is silly simple and yes, has been repeated in this thread many many times). Good luck.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
USA Kyrgyzstan $ 318.67 all-in R/T

USA - Kyrgyzstan $ 318.67 all-in R/T with class.

Last edited by Pat89339; Sep 27, 2016 at 11:07 pm Reason: Remove deleted post.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:52 pm

USA - Kyrgyzstan $ 318.67 all-in R/T with class.

2: 40 am - Calvados intoxication setting in ?
Or fly 1way to a nearby destination in a class with class for a bit more. Only 1 issue: you would have to depart from a true chicken run.

But in the end the chicken from Pic is quite nice. Obviously not ITAble at this price so in case you don't get it, he surely will not.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Message from the Mileage Run Forum Moderator Team:

While we initially believed that some of the information that was recently posted in this thread was posted in good faith, trying to help out other fellow FlyerTalkers while adding some valuable information, and while we believe that it is not the moderators’ duty to engage in some form of censorship, some new information has been provided to the forum’s moderators that has led us to take a different stance.

Apparently the primary purpose of the recent posting of said information was not to add value to FlyerTalk, but rather to cause unrest in the forum which violates the FlyerTalk TOS ("disruptive behaviour“).

Since we moderators do not want to engage in any form of censorship, it has become apparent that we need to set clear rules for any "Trick It"-related posts in the future. From what we understand, the majority of the regular users here do prefer "coding" their knowledge, and we will set this as a clear requirement for any "Trick It"-related post in the future.

If you do not want the moderators to engage in activities that some might see as a form of censorship, it will be up to you to properly phrase your posts so that there will not be any need to remove your post. If your post fails to adhere to these standards, then the moderators reserve the right to remove it – not because we want to censor anything, but because we want to keep the community spirit alive. If you see a post that does not adhere to the new posting rules, please report the post to all moderators by using the Report Bad Post button located in the left hand column indicated by an Exclamation Point in a red circle.

That being said, the community spirit has to go both ways. We were also made aware of the fact that certain users might be misusing the Mileage Run forum and especially this thread for commercial purposes, including but not limited to the sale of information.

We want this to be a community where members help each other, so if someone abuses this thread for commercial (or similar) solicitations (and this includes Private Messages which might be reported to the moderators), then we will not hesitate to issue a permanent ban.

You may consider this an official warning.

The Mileage Run Moderator Team
Jpdx, rcs85551, 18sas, Pat89339

Below are the new posting rules for the Trick It Thread. They will also be posted as a Sticky in the Discussion Forum and in the first post of this thread.

Rules of Posting in the Trick It Thread:
1. Adhere to these rules or your post will be deleted without comment.
2. The current naming convention of this thread is as follows:
C1 = North America
C1.5 = Caribbean, Central America and Mexico including Bermuda and Bahamas
C2 = Europe
C2.5 = Middle East, including Israel and Egypt
C3 = Asia
C4 = South America
C4a = Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru
C4b = Chile, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, Surinam, Guyana, Paraguay and Uruguay
C5 = Africa
C6 = Australia, New Zealand, and the Oceania range

Directional additions such as n, s, e, and w are allowed to narrow an area.

The naming convention created by Raffles Longhaul is also acceptable.

3. Code any “tricks”.
4. Do not post screenshots of your “tricks” or outside links to images of any sort.
5. Do not code your questions. No one will be able to answer them.
6. Violation of these rules will subject you to discipline.
7. Review FlyerTalk Rules 7, 10, 12, and 18 of the FlyerTalk Rules prior to posting. You can find the Rules here: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

Last edited by Pat89339; Sep 30, 2016 at 6:12 pm Reason: Update with new rules
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
This thread has been reopened and new posting rules have been added as a sticky in the Discussion Forum, Post #1 and the post immediately above. Kindly review them prior to posting.

jpdx, rcs85551, 18sas, Pat89339
Mileage Run Moderator Team
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: Tim Horton's Gold
C1 - C3n

C1 - C3n $186

Happy hunting and stay calm!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:42 am

If you cross four times the atlantic ocean, you will pay only 42,5€ AI each TATL segment (total price 170€).
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:48 am

Topic comeback, great!

197 USD for C2-C6 RT ai
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: DL ✈️
C2-C1 $37 BF eligible for fat removing, but the only 3x I've found is more expensive than the BF+taxes :|

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.