Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:18 pm
Suspended

The hundreds of thousands of connections Myth

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
They do not understand, and even if they did, they would loose more business from hundreds/thousands of passengers not being able to make the "connections" than changing the fare rules eliminating only 4-8 dumped tickets per year...
There seems to a myth spreading here that airlines have to live with, perhaps accept, fuel dumps simply because expanding its geographical coverage through interlined carriers and end-on-end fare combinations is necessary. Fuel Dumps is not a fait accompli.

While it is true that airlines use interlining to gain more coverage and thus passengers, they do not have to lose control of their YQs.

Let’s see how that works for AA and BA inside the Cayman Islands.

AA flies from MIA to GCM.
You think they might want to offer some island hopping on the same ticket so they should interline with Cayman Airlines (KX) and allow end-on-end fare combinations. But in reality, AA does not care to sell you their cheap fares combined with Cayman’s. Combining KX fares with AA’s will automatically price AA at Y Fare Basis Code.

AA (already the largest carrier) does not think it is profitable to do, as you say, “business from hundreds/thousands of passengers not being able to make the "connections”. So there goes the myth that AA needs this airline to make connections.

Let’s extend this argument to American’s JV partner British Airways.

BA flies to Cayman Islands (technically a direct flight from London).
Ticket costs about $882 with $249.80 of YQ.
The LON-GCM fare allows for end-on-end connections. Alright so maybe BA cares to offer inside Cayman Island fares along with its own. OK so let’s price one.

Well the price is the same ($917) regardless where you put the Cayman Island flight (before returning or after returning to London); and they are both more expensive than a simple LON-GCM R/T fare. This means that BA kept full control of charging the same YQ ($249.90) even after adding Cayman Air’s flights. Just because BA allowed a fare combination for the benefit of its passengers does not mean there will be a fuel dump. It all depends on how well BA filed its YQ fees. If they are good at it, there will be no dumps.

Finally airlines do not lose business allowing for illogical itineraries. Most, if not all, 3x strikes are not even in the same country as the previous segment. What connections are you talking about if a huge surface segment exists between the previous flight segments destination and the 3x’s origin?
You think airlines care to make connections for flights that are not even in the same continent? Can you even call these "connections"?

And, do people normally add a flight after they have returned home? That’s what 3x usually does.

Airlines do not have to accept 3x FDs as a necessary evil. These loopholes exist because their employees have poor skills in defining YQ records. No need to help them make their jobs easier. Keep FD underground.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by man4business
What and how do you want to defend here? In general, I know what you want to defend but I am curious what you want to do precisely here in this thread if the only activity is to persuade someone not to do this (post, share, discuss). This thread has changed. I do not need to post for 10 years (..."after 5 months of posting in this thread"...) to see it. Full record is available for anyone willing to read. You simply write that the best and only option is not to share anything. Fine, but what do you want from people who want to share (responsibly)? You also deduce that sharing was the core of evil and I do not agree - simple things would be destroyed even if this thread did not exist at all, because simple things are too easy not to be found. Once they are found you cannot tell what those who know would do. There are stupid people, there are blogs, there are spies from the airlines here... this place has become so famous that it cannot by the place of reasonable fd investigation? Is this what you want to say? Some of you speak of glorious history of this thread but this is exactly what I mean: history is not now.
Myself and others here are not against people learning. This is not the problem. If someone is smart enough and dedicated enough to learn this skill, then good for them. I cannot stop that.
What I and others do not like is when an over active and clueless newbie comes along and acquires the skills from handouts or purchase and they do not have any sense for what the information is capable of, and run around blurting it out without any regard for the true risk that comes from it.

As I also previously stated, it should not come as a shock that certain members of this thread do not want to see the game ruined by someone with loud mouth syndrome that is just chasing some sort of non existent Trick it fame. Especially if, like me, you have spent 100s an 100s of hours learning what makes airfares work the way that they do.

The reason I keep posting here is because some people need to be told that the behavior that they are exhibiting is not appropriate and should be stopped. Because it doesn't take long before loose lips will sink the ship.

As you put it yourself, the info is there for anyone willing to read... Well there you go, there's your answer for why so many people are told to read the thread.

And yes, this thread has become too well known for anything to be openly discussed here without things leaking.
It may shock you to know that there are many many many other places that people can discuss this topic, all of which are infinitely more water tight than this thread is.
This thread has an average of roughly 6000 views per day. When something is posted openly it is going to get noticed. Its really not difficult to understand the reason why so many are against the open sharing.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 24, 2016 at 1:10 am Reason: TOS 18
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by igetit
keep fd underground.
👍👍👍
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:44 am
Suspended

Sometimes MR Deals reveal self dumps and alert the airlines

Even the most innocent excitement to share a cheap fare can lead to airline quickly fixing a YQ loophole.

Consider this post last 29th of Feb - [FARE GONE] NYC-MAD TAP $282 AI End of October

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...d-october.html

The infamous blog SF also published it causing people all over the place to talk about it. Funny there were even calls made to the OTAs or the airline for advanced seat reservations.

That obviously tipped the airline and they fixed it (the self dump) the same day. If you have the ability to display the YQ records you can see they made the fix with a new YQ filing.

From the posts, some folks got cancellations. Since you can no longer rely on DOT (Prohibition of Post Purchase Price Increase) Protection then you are out of luck.

As you can see even an innocent cheap fare tip can lead to blogs posting it. This was not a mistake fare – the base fares were correct. This was a case of a mistake YQ filing. It was a “self dump”. The airline intended to collect $516 YQ but incorrectly filed it.

But talking about it leads to blogs posting it and the airline getting notified they made a mistake.

Be careful. Be very careful. If you still want to enjoy self dumps or fuel dumping you cannot talk about it since you are essentially tipping the airline. I hope the example makes this extremely clear. Take it underground.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Krakow Poland from C1(n) $ 277.55 All-in R/T
Thanks for inspiration. $228.36 (or $222.36 if arriving elsewhere but departing on the way back from KRK) OTA price $219

Last edited by man4business; Jul 27, 2016 at 1:13 am Reason: price adjustment
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:23 am

Thanks for inspiration. $264.26 (have you tried it? - you know what I mean)...
How is this even a special price? U can fly europe to north America in the low 300s without any tricks (and with a bit of fairy dust get easily below 200).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by made_by_hugo
How is this even a special price?
Do I talk about C2-C1...??
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
How is this even a special price? U can fly europe to north America in the low 300s without any tricks (and with a bit of fairy dust get easily below 200).
It's just the usual marketing technique.
Personally I prefer the easy options that you are talking about!

Do I talk about C2-C1...??
Both
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Thanks for inspiration. $257.26 (or $251.26 if arriving elswhere but departing on the way back from KRK)
(bwt, have you tried it? - you know what I mean)...
Glad someone helped you. Now it is a about being protective of what you got.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by adebord
I can confirm that revenue management watch this website and thread like a hawk. Loopholes are closed every single day. The more it is talked about, the more of it that disappears.
While it would be foolish of them (at least the big players) not to watch FT and the blogs I pretty much doubt they keep refreshing this thread.

Point is, whatever gets an exposure treatment on FT/blogs is surely going to the way of the dodo, no questions about that. The deals that never hit wider audiences are more interesting. Based on my experience those actually boil down to 2 catergories: easy to understand and hard to understand. There were glorious, glorious holes that had fares rotting there for 2 yrs or more and were fixed immediately after they were used in an improper unexpected way. Why? It was immediately obvious what was exploited used and how it worked. There are similarly glorious deals to be had with even the same airline's other fares but it's weird and difficult to understand how and why it works.

I think the same goes for the dumps. Most things discussed here in the trick it thread is convoluted, and thus dissemination of information is severely limited. The results don't worth the effort, since half the stuff posted here are for epeen only, and/or they can't crack what people are actually saying. Result is the same.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:29 am
Suspended

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jul 26, 2016 at 5:06 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:46 pm

ME Hub or Sub?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles longhaul
From the land of MLB to the M/E Sub $175 A.I.
M/E Hub or sub?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:27 am
Suspended

Crossing South America

C2 - Open Jaw two South American capitals $ 213,55. For a little more $$ you can visit the capital of a ancient empire. A straight round trip can be done at $ 172,72 All-in. Hight of springtime

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jul 26, 2016 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: Not yet
Hi,

Is it possible to dump TK CDG-JFK in feburary 17 BF 15$ ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.