Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: United MP, National EE
Originally Posted by onfo
Question: has anyone had any luck FD J/F fares? Or is the BF always too high? The best I've found is a fare where the YQ is ~10% of BF, which is still too expensive for me.

Having a hard time finding award availability for a return honeymoon flight so am thinking outside the box, though given FD risks, I would be using an 1x.
Been mentioned a few times in the past few weeks - there's C2-C3 r/t $650 ai in J. No idea if it's bookable though.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:13 pm

AF full dumpable

AF BUD-ICN RT 333€ AI.

Sometimes expensive price is better than a cheap price.

hint: > 2000 miles
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:54 pm

is Shanghai - C1 on US major carriers still FD-able via 3X? I tried all the city pairs in my notebook and nothing seems to work (YQ/YR~=360). I had several 1X's working but not flyable.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by jorun
AF BUD-ICN RT 333€ AI.

Sometimes expensive price is better than a cheap price.

hint: > 2000 miles
No way I will find it, but so rare to find good deals to ICN.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
No way I will find it, but so rare to find good deals to ICN.
You are wrong. On this thread a lot of people have the experience and the skills to find it.
The hint will guide you to the right direction
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by vinvam
Been mentioned a few times in the past few weeks - there's C2-C3 r/t $650 ai in J. No idea if it's bookable though.
Which Airline ?
can you PM me ? Or do you speak about QR ex CAI ( which I not consider as a real C2 departure.
Even the KL Special ( think that is the lowest BF in market ) from Europe to some Chinese destinations, can not be FD to 650 $

Last edited by bertheike; Feb 7, 2015 at 7:28 am
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by bertheike
Which Airline ?
can you PM me ? Or do you speak about QR ex CAI ( which I not consider as a real C2 departure.
Even the KL Special ( think that is the lowest BF in market ) from Europe to some Chinese destinations, can not be FD to 650 $
Yes it can. OTAble.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:06 am

Thanks for the messages! I've ended up exceeding my daily limit for replying! (if an admin can remove my limit of 5 replies, that'd be great!

I've been busy doing my homework all day, I'm a FD addict!

Still looking for a C6-C1 in April. I've managed to find a working 3x that saves me $50 (other dates can be as much as $400 but I'm not flexible unfortunatly!) it's a start at least!

I'm happy to share the little I know (inc the C6-C2 under 400USD without FD) for some more advice! Thanks so much, you guys are great.

I've got frequent flyer points to burn if anyone knows a 1x!

Originally Posted by pwdcj
Hi Guys,

*First Post*

I'm so so new to this FD game, but I need to start somewhere! In the past I've been able to use OpenJaw strategies through sheer coincidence, luck and bruteforce. I've also been able to figure out a very reliable way to get from C6-C2n (or the other way around) for under $487AUD without using ANY FD strategies. I imagine it could be FD to be cheaper.

If someone is willing to point me in the right direction, I'm willing to share this strategy.

Ultimately what I'm hoping to achieve is a way to cut the fat on a C6-C1 flight! My gf lives in CLE, I live in BNE and I spend a fortune every year visiting!

I understand it takes hard work and perseverance to get a working 3x. Before I start digging, I just want to know how/where best to go about this! Please PM me.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by jorun
You are wrong. On this thread a lot of people have the experience and the skills to find it.
The hint will guide you to the right direction
What do others finding it have to do with me finding it?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
What do others finding it have to do with me finding it?
fare rules will tell you which kind of dump you can use.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by bertheike
Sure can.

No PMs please.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
World's longest 3 X ?

3X, containing 3 segments covering 3 continents and a total 3X travel time of up to 30 hours and 15 minutes dumps a European Carrier (in)famous for being virtually undumpable.

Construction only economically attractive if:

1. 3X: Cx-Cy-Cz can be flown

2. Passenger absolutely wants/needs to fly this European carrier.

Main carrier is not generally known for offering super low Base Fares.

C5,C2,C4,C3,C2.5, are all in itinerary but not necessarily in that order.

All-in price as low as < 388 Ł. if Phuket is included in the mix.

C6 can be substituted for C4.

Of course an old almost unusable and very remote throwaway 3X also works now for some small savings from the above price, but that would be no fun.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Feb 7, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: Tim Horton's Gold
C2s-C3
-€ 155,94 ai
-short airport bus to a famous V Peak 554m.

Last edited by Calgary88; Feb 8, 2015 at 9:58 am
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:01 pm

Last edited by oni89; Feb 25, 2015 at 5:05 am Reason: ...
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
So i've been trying to tackle a particular OJ which i need to fly in the Spring from C1-C2 and so far the lowest rates have been found on a particular OW combination. I've been battling the beast and have had some success with lowering the pesky fat; however the savings are minimal and i'm looking to discuss my findings with those 'in the know' as it relates to this particular alliance.

On a side note, i've stumbled (admittedly) on a combo which is now dumping *A on the same route; however the cost of the 3x is negating the overall benefit.

Again, i'm not looking for a hand out as i've been here long enough to know the drill, i'm just looking to discuss my findings with someone(s) who can maybe tell me what i'm looking at without actually seeing whats right in front of my face.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.