Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by anandrag
Whats Min stay for BKK that you're finding? I'm not finding any quick 1-2 night turnarounds
You could nest them
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Epicura
I wouldn't mind either, I bet the truffles are much better in Italy .

Anyway,

Instead of Philly, if one needs to go to Texas, AMS-DFW available for 188 euro. BF is rather high (like factor +80, in comparison to other deals) but still a sweet deal for this route. Could be very convenient for different purposes.
Texas has a lot to offer. We have rugged cowboys, sensitive metrosexuals, BBQ, Rodeos and much more. Certainly worth a quickie.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL PM, IC RA
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
ROMA/BOLOGNA/FIRENZE Italia - OKINAWA € 141,99 - € 158,11 All-in R/T

Leave as soon as 2 weeks from now. OKINAWA is tropical.
Stay as short as 2 nights.

With the proper VIP card you can eat and drink yourself silly along the way. Sushi/ Sashimi/ Smoked Salmon/Vodka/Champagne/ /Curry Beef/Sake/Kirin.
With a paella appetizer and an old black beer digestive it is €132,-
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
You could nest them
True!
Issue is that I am only finding good fares on 380 carrier which is not useful for me for mileage purposes. Would rather be on OW or *A. Nothing too interesting showing for me on those. Anyone find anything else?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
anything out here for C2C - BKK ?

Any deal out for C2C - BKK for less than 300 Euro all in ? departure in JAN 2015 aprox 2 weeks.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bertheike
Any deal out for C2C - BKK for less than 300 Euro all in ? departure in JAN 2015 aprox 2 weeks.
C2-C1 100 euros
C1-BKK 110 euros

You do the math
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by brumbrum
and you both need to pay some 500USD to fly the 1x :-)
Would you mind just quit the nagging and crying? Apparently these deals are not your cup of tea. Too bad, but move over and find something that could suit you.

How others will manage to fly their strikes at a reasonable cost (if any) is their business. We don't need you to do our math.

And with referal to the Wiki:

For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

Did it ever occur to you that it also might take patience, effort and strong planning skills in order to maximise the sweetness of some deals? Some people are actually able to use their strikes as a major benefit, not as a burden.

Last edited by Epicura; Jan 6, 2015 at 11:19 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
C2-C1 100 euros
C1-BKK 110 euros

You do the math
thank you. But I thought about something max. 20 h per way.
C2-C1-BKK would be aprox the double, and this in eco. horrible.

miles are welcomed, but I fly because I have to, and not for fun.

nearly all deal with the desert Airlines gone. even OJ via AUH not works anymore
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:43 am

No offence, but this thread is mainly about deals for fun. We are not necessarily looking for the shortest and most comfortable way to go from x to y. I can understand that you are trying to optimise your costs, but if I absolutely need to fly from x to y for business, even on my own dime, I tend to avoid any risk. My working time is more valuable than saving a couple of 100's. You can not have it all.

Btw, QR has just loaded some very nice fares to C3, also in J.

nearly all deal with the desert Airlines gone. even OJ via AUH not works anymore
Now that's a surprise .
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
Last edit by: Deltahater
This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.
Best advise is probably to contact a professional travel agent. At Duesseldorf airport, as you walk up the escalators there are many travel agents who sell charter tours at very cheap prices, and they often include hotel.

Unfortunately, they may not know about 2Xs or Error based OneWay Business Class from C2 to Phuket at less than $ 800.00 since that requires special computer access.

If so, and if your hiney is too luxurious for Y then price should not matter and you can not afford to take any risk. Business Class for less than $ 800.00 to Phuket Island.

The deal proposed by your fellow countryman DeltaHater on desert airline has actually gone down in price to less than $ 150 all-in R/T over night, :
C2-C1 100 euros
C1-BKK 110 euros You do the math
so his suggestion is the optimal

Texas has a lot to offer. We have rugged cowboys, sensitive metrosexuals, BBQ, Rodeos and much more. Certainly worth a quickie.
and I always thought a "Texas Quickie" was receiving the death sentence by the Honorable Judge Roy Bean for committing an "Immoral or UnNatural" Sex Act and be executed in the electric chair the next day at sunrise.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jan 6, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:21 pm

Hey Guys, Glad to have found this forum, this is awesome stuff. I've been following flyer talk for a while and got an amazing deal a few months back.

I've been playing around with this stuff for the last few days and i'm trying to find a 1x or 3x to work with the bkk deal, just to practice. I had this idea of grabbing some minor airlines like porter or westjet ( in canada) to match them up with the flights.

Unfortunately it looks like i'm being blocked from using either by the major OTA's. I found one (cheapoair) that supports west jet but it won't allow you partner a multiple destination flight with the airlines that are offering the low base fair. (specifically KE or CZ) Oddly it will match westjet up with AA just fine but the price is 3k.

Can anyone advise what a decent OTA is to work on this kind of stuff.

warm regards
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:23 pm

Try momondo/kayak. Sometimes changing country works (change url .co.uk / .de / .se / .it etc etc).

If it exists on any ita you'll usually be able to find it like this (..but not always).
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:28 pm

C2-C1 100 euros
C1-BKK 110 euros

You do the math
You made my day!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:03 pm

I tried different options, but seems despite all the ketchup flying around, i can't finf anything to go eat some good sushi.
The only way I could find to get to OKA removing some fat, require me to dance samba before I start the journey I'd so much prefer some paella or Bordeaux!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:48 pm

Have your 1x taken care of by someone else?

Originally Posted by Epicura
How others will manage to fly their strikes at a reasonable cost (if any) is their business.
For curiosity (and by no means related to the particular fare in discussion), how realistic/viable do you consider a strike flown by someone else?
I've come across that idea since several times I had been boarding domestic flights without any identification whatsoever, checking in only with a frequent flyer card or even just with the booking code.
Of course it highly depends on the particular country and airline's (maybe also airport's) practice. I know that at least in the past people have been sharing cheap round trip tickets (sometimes in order to avoid minimum stay requirements).
With a 1x in a distant place from where you are, maybe that concept could be put to new (?) use?
(yes, this almost certainly would not only be rather risky but also in violation of the airline's rules as well as probably a number of relevant laws)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.