Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]Travelocity.ca quotes LX YYZ-DEL base fare at ZERO.

[FARE GONE]Travelocity.ca quotes LX YYZ-DEL base fare at ZERO.

Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Let it be on your concious that you knew it was a mistake fare the entire time, and you're "robbing" the company.
OMG
It will be difficult to sleep now
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Fantastic Video! I never knew who this woman was before now, but I have respect for her.

To those who booked this mistake fare, best of luck to you. Although, let it be on your concious that you knew it was a mistake fare the entire time, and you're "robbing" the company.

It's like going to wal-mart and the cashier scanning the DVD and it pricing at $5, when it should be $35. You pay and leave. Would I return the DVD and ask to pay higher? No. Would I feel guilty? yes.
What if Walmart sells DVDs for anywhere between $3 and $500? And the same DVD can vary in price from day to day by an order of 10? Would you then feel guilty?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
Fantastic Video! I never knew who this woman was before now, but I have respect for her.

To those who booked this mistake fare, best of luck to you. Although, let it be on your concious that you knew it was a mistake fare the entire time, and you're "robbing" the company.

It's like going to wal-mart and the cashier scanning the DVD and it pricing at $5, when it should be $35. You pay and leave. Would I return the DVD and ask to pay higher? No. Would I feel guilty? yes.
On the other hand some retailers would provide the DVD at a discount or free if there is a scanner error. It adds to customer satisfaction. After all, it isn't the customer's fault the company could not get the prices to match...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:42 pm

remember Fiji for $60
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Oh spare me.

At least Walmart doesn't sell non-refundable merchandise or charge a $150 fee to exchange sizes.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by gemac
...Especially interesting is the part near the end where she brags about software changes which prevent this from ever happening again.
She also talks about how many fare misfilings they caught after automatically shunting any abnormally low fares to a manual queue. That was quite some time ago. We still saw this particular fare on Travelocity, though. Did Travelocity think the fare was valid? I would think so. Travelocity sold some of these tickets...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by vickh
remember Fiji for $60
Remember Alitalia, where the airline initially convinced quite a few people to give up and cancel. Shortly thereafter they agreed that the tickets should be honored and those who hadn't canceled were allowed to travel.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold

Didn't book the fare, didn't know about the deal, but... my conscience says that I take it up the rump from the airlines for "fuel surcharges" and "baggage charges" and "customer service ticketing charges", and "customer call center charges", etc, etc, etc....

I never once felt guilty about booking the UA $222 ORD-LHR...

All's fair...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:27 pm

WAY OT

Originally Posted by SFO777
At least Walmart doesn't sell non-refundable merchandise or charge a $150 fee to exchange sizes.
Reminds me of this classic:

If Paint was sold like Plane Tickets

Buying Paint from a Hardware Store:

Customer: Hi. How much is your paint?

Clerk: We have regular quality for $12 a gallon and premium for $18. How many gallons would you like?

Customer: Five gallons of regular quality, please.

Clerk: Great. That will be $60 plus tax.

Buying Paint from an Airline:

Customer: Hi, how much is your paint?

Clerk: Well, sir, that all depends.

Customer: Depends on what?

Clerk: Actually, a lot of things.

Customer: How about giving me an average price?

Clerk: Wow, that's too hard a question. The lowest price is $9 a gallon, and we have 150 different prices up to $200 a gallon.

Customer: What's the difference in the paint?

Clerk: Oh, there isn't any difference; it's all the same paint.

Customer: Well, then, I'd like some of that $9 paint.

Clerk: Well, first I need to ask you a few questions. When do you intend to use it?

Customer: I want to paint tomorrow, on my day off.

Clerk: Sir, the paint for tomorrow is the $200 paint.

Customer: What? When would I have to paint in order to get the $9 version?

Clerk: That would be in three weeks, but you will also have to agree to start painting before Friday of that week and continue painting until at least Sunday.

Customer: You've got to be kidding!

Clerk: Sir, we don't kid around here. Of course, I'll have to check to see if we have any of that paint available before I can sell it to you.

Customer: What do you mean check to see if you can sell it to me? You have shelves full of that stuff; I can see it right there.

Clerk: Just because you can see it doesn't mean that we have it. It may be the same paint, but we sell only a certain number of gallons on any given weekend. Oh, and by the way, the price just went to $12.

Customer: You mean the price went up while we were talking!

Clerk: Yes, sir. You see, we change prices and rules thousands of times a day, and since you haven't actually walked out of the store with your paint yet, we just decided to change. Unless you want the same thing to happen again, I would suggest that you get on with your purchase. How many gallons do you want?

Customer: I don't know exactly. Maybe five gallons. Maybe I should buy six gallons just to make sure I have enough.

Clerk: Oh, no, sir, you can't do that. If you buy the paint and then don't use it, you will be liable for penalties and possible confiscation of the paint you already have.

Customer: What?

Clerk: That's right. We can sell you enough paint to do your kitchen, bathroom, hall and north bedroom, but if you stop painting before you do the bedroom, you will be in violation of our tariffs.

Customer: But what does it matter to you whether I use all the paint? I already paid you for it!

Clerk: Sir, there's no point in getting upset; that's just the way it is. We make plans based upon the idea that you will use all the paint, and when you don't, it just causes us all sorts of problems.

Customer: This is crazy! I suppose something terrible will happen if I don't keep painting until after Saturday night!

Clerk: Yes, sir, it will.

Customer: Well, that does it! I'm going somewhere else to buy my paint.

Clerk: That won't do you any good, sir. We all have the same rules. Thanks for painting with our airline.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:35 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by paseom2
On the other hand some retailers would provide the DVD at a discount or free if there is a scanner error. It adds to customer satisfaction. After all, it isn't the customer's fault the company could not get the prices to match...
A local supermarket used to actually offer this "accurate scanner guarantee" -f the scanner scanned a price different than the price on the shelf, they would give you one of that product for free.

Their scanners were wrong so often that they stopped making that offer. And in fact, I would say 50% of the time I shop there, something on my receipt is wrong. I always double check it before leaving the store!

John
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for a great laugh, todd-r!^ Too damn funny (and true)!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Todd-R, reminds me of the Monty Python skit "Argument"....

^ Thanks for the laugh.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paffendorf
Matthew.... i got the same....
BUT...
i already was able to see couple of days ago my ticket nr. on swiss.com before they "cancelled" the booking.
Furthermore.... ASTONISHINGLY, after travelocity wasn't able to issue the ticket, my AMEX online account show Swiss charged my card for the amount....
I called the AMEX customer care and guess what.... in their system the ticket number is reported... They will fax me soon an official piece of paper showing this.

Paffendorf.
Sounds good ^
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Just curious, what makes you say that? Those of us that booked on swiss.com for LX metal across the pond haven't been contacted yet (AFAIK).
Just from the perspective that the Zuji bookings already have a ticket number and subsequently have been charged to the CC on file.

That puts one in a better position than just having the PNR record locator. I can make a reservation with LH any day and it shows as confirmed on CMT. Just as long until LH kicks it out when the ticket is not issued after 3 days
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xyzzy
She also talks about how many fare misfilings they caught after automatically shunting any abnormally low fares to a manual queue. That was quite some time ago. We still saw this particular fare on Travelocity, though. Did Travelocity think the fare was valid? I would think so. Travelocity sold some of these tickets...
Yes. If this fare was shunted to a manual queue, it was reviewed by their staff and approved. If they mistakenly approved the fare, it seems disingenuous for T-City to say that you should be able to spot it as a mistake, when their staff, looking at a fare that had been flagged as too low and a probably mistake couldn't spot it.

If this fare was not shunted to the manual queue, it says that T-City knew they had a problem, tried to address it, but did an incompetent and sloppy job. They didn't do a competent job of testing their solution. As some point, companies have to take responsibility for their actions.

Last edited by gemac; Dec 30, 2008 at 12:03 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.