Go Back   > > >

Old Dec 23, 08, 10:40 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Plat, Amex Plat
MR Newbie Q - what happens in bad weather?

Hi - I'm looking to do my first ever MR in early Feb:

BUF-ORD-STL-DEN-SAN-SFO-ORD-BUF ($220, 26 hour RT with a red-eye, all UA - no US segments )

My concern is this: what would happen if bad weather delays/cancels any of these segments? What options usually exist in these cases?

Some more info that might be helpful:

- right now, I don't have status to speak of (this MR is so I can get *S on BD, so I've got nothing except for a card that they might not have seen before, and an apparently cute accent )

- Each layover is about 90 mins (apart from STL which is 60 mins) which seemed to be the best I could manage, a couple of other options had much tighter connections in places.

- I could live flying with a shorter distance, as I only need about 1600 miles (but after lots of time playing with ITA, this seemed to be the best option in terms of time and cost)

Finally, before anyone suggests I wait until winter's over - this is pretty much the latest I can leave it, as my BD year expires a few days later. I have some idea of the potential craziness of this, as my in-laws used to live just outside BUF and I'm learning fast from local news and co-workers about lake effect snow! )

Thanks for any help and suggestions you may have
sofasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 08, 11:00 am   #2
Moderator, Singapore Airlines, Hilton Honors, Oceania

Programs: up in the air
Your options depend on where you are if flights get cancelled or misconnect. If you are at an airport which closes due to weather then limited options until the airport reopens. You may be able to help yourself by keeping an eye on developing conditions, checking if you are likely to misconnect at the next airport or the one after and taking action to avoid if possible.
Kiwi Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 08, 12:05 pm   #3
Original Poster

Just realised I should have made this clear (as I'm an utter newbie to MRs and have never had cause to ask before) - will I only get miles credited for the flights I actually set foot on?

e.g. if I end up getting part-way there and somehow have to abort/change some of the MR due to weather, what miles will I accumulate?

Also, there were some different options in terms of first legs on the MR I'm looking at - if my first flight was cancelled due to weather, could I ask to get put on another flight that would get me back 'on track' (or should that be en route? )

Apologies if these seem dumb questions, but there's a first time for everyone - and searching hasn't come up with answers yet...
Old Dec 23, 08, 12:08 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, National Exec, Hertz PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
Just realised I should have made this clear (as I'm an utter newbie to MRs and have never had cause to ask before) - will I only get miles credited for the flights I actually set foot on?

e.g. if I end up getting part-way there and somehow have to abort/change some of the MR due to weather, what miles will I accumulate?

Also, there were some different options in terms of first legs on the MR I'm looking at - if my first flight was cancelled due to weather, could I ask to get put on another flight that would get me back 'on track' (or should that be en route? )

Apologies if these seem dumb questions, but there's a first time for everyone - and searching hasn't come up with answers yet...
"original routing credit" is your friend.
aacharya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 08, 1:12 pm   #5
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
"original routing credit" is your friend.
Thanks, aacharya!
Old Dec 23, 08, 2:10 pm   #6

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/2MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I'm not sure of the EQM-earnings rules for BD... but in some cases, a small glitch can work to your advantage. I have had MRs that resembled yours, and when something went wrong, the agent has rebooked me around some of the problems... sometimes those bookings are done in full-Y class.

I don't know a way of encouraging this to happen, but every once in a while you get lucky. And, as aacharya says, "original routing credit" is a wonderful thing. Again, I am not sure how this would work for credit into a BD program, but that would be the route to pursue.
gary_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 08, 9:54 pm   #7
Original Poster

And, thanks to everyone's help, I just booked my first MR. Whee!

I ended up doing YYZ-ORD-DEN-LAS-ORD-PIT-YYZ for several reasons (not least it's *much* easier for me to get to YYZ if the weather's not looking great - I need to at least be able to get there to start the MR, right? ) but got it for pretty much the same price, what with the UA sale today.

I seem to have a few more options if I get delayed on any leg - and, it would appear, I may have scope for a couple of VDB opportunities - something else I need to get researching in detail