Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) UA/"Air One" JFK-FCO $296 a/i via "PL trick"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) UA/"Air One" JFK-FCO $296 a/i via "PL trick"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire, HH Gold
I just got SFO-IAD-FCO-IAD-SFO for 4/07/09 - 4/21/09 for $498+ $25.00 Paper ticket fee (On PL), so this is still alive........^^
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by MartinElk
I just got SFO-IAD-FCO-IAD-SFO for 4/07/09 - 4/21/09 for $498+ $25.00 Paper ticket fee (On PL), so this is still alive........^^
Indeed! It's also available June 2 SFO-FCO & June 9 FCO-SFO.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:27 am

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
Originally Posted by zrudeboyz
We've seen the PL trick to Europe and now recently to Africa, I want to see it to S. America and Asia.
When was it to Africa? I missed that one.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by jlr4travel
When was it to Africa? I missed that one.
here ya go, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=872327
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by mikensf74
Anyone had luck getting PL to reticket as electronic?

Spoke to UA, they said all my flights are eligible for electronic ticketing, including the two AirOne codeshares operated by UA over the water. PL is ticketing it, using UA 016 stock. Should not be an issue.

A poster earlier in this thread reported $25 refunded by Cheaptickets when they changed to e-ticketing.
There was absolutely no reason to call. If you had read this thread carefully, you would have seen that CT sent emails stating the ticket did not have to be on paper; this change was not initiated by the purchaser! I would think if you bought using PL, the same thing would have happened.

When people call and ruin these deals, it makes the people who are so generous in posting them, cease from doing so.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Due to an anonymous tip I received, I firmly believe that the FT username of the person who is selling us out on Slickdeals is justchris82.

A search of FT and the SD username of c8j2h and justchris82 bring up a lot of similiarities.

That is, comments posted on other forums about deals found on FT have surfaced elsewhere, it seems, under the justchris82 handle.

Both names show Santa Monica as a location, as confirmed by Chris' myspace page that I located (which is now private), both show the age of 25. If he was born in Oct-Dec 1982, he would indeed be 25 at this point.

Last edited by beaubo; Oct 5, 2008 at 3:29 pm Reason: slight edit for maintaining civility
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: * A
I believe the IP has already been confirmed for Santa Monica Chris. "Bad boys, Bad boys,..."
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by imm2b
Indeed! It's also available June 2 SFO-FCO & June 9 FCO-SFO.
I'm just hoping that the fare ends up lasting long enough for them to release some seats in S/T on Fridays/Sundays in April. Something tells me that may not happen till january, though.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:58 am

We've gone on several cheap FT / ML mini-vacations over the last couple years... BOS-MAD, NY-HNL, NY-CGN. First rule, you got to be quick. We didn't spend a lot of time searching for dates and got the same Feb 1 - Feb 8 dates. Second rule, don't call. I don't think I have seat assignments yet for the IAD-FCO segment though.

My understanding is that the dates we got in Feb are off season so we should be able to find better hotel deals. I hope it's not too cold. We're planning on doing Rome, Florence, then two nights in Venice. First time in Italy.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by civicmon
Since I can't make a coherent post at 4am, I'm using snagit to snap some screenshots with arrows as to what to look at.

Start at www.kayak.com/buzz

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Follow these steps... it should be clear. YMMV on the absolute exact price since it will vary by dates but the $296 was found on Feb 1-9.
Can someone please help!!! I am trying to find flights over a long President's Day or for a week in April, but stuck at Step 3 where you need to pick Cheaptickets after it takes you back to Kayak's homepage with wrong dates in the window...cheaptickets isn't even an option.

Please help!! Thanks!!!
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There seems to be a lot of vitriol here targeted at someone who shared a deal with others and for which there is no evidence that said sharing actually reduced availability or otherwise prevented others from getting in on the deal. I stared at it and ran multiple searches over a period of a few hours yesterday morning. Eventually I pulled the trigger, and I'm glad I got in on it. On other deals I haven't been so lucky. But once a deal is posted online it is "out there" for people to find and suggesting that any one person is responsible for such a deal disappearing, especially when the deal is actually still active for some departure cities/dates seems rather unreasonable to me.

Certainly this incident can provide some evidence that restricting MR Deals to registered/logged in users only won't actually change the rate at which things are shared.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1k, LT Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA 1MM
FARE GONE

Looks like the fare is going through Orbitz instead of Cheapticiets without the drop in the fare.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: CO Plat (thanks to FT), UA 1P, AA
Fare NOT gone

Originally Posted by mbru
Looks like the fare is going through Orbitz instead of Cheapticiets without the drop in the fare.
Pay no attention to the alarmists, and keep finding fun city pairs. It is still available at least from LAS for $498.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:35 pm

@ sbm12
As suggested, demanding registration will not necessarily change the rate deals are distributed. I am someone what would not have known about this had it not been for the post to SD. I've been on this board for about 2 years, so I'm not a johnny-come-lately even if I almost never post. I started learning about deal sites long ago with a deal forum on hardocp.com, where I learned of fatwallet, then slickdeals, and then this site (when the Airtran/Wendy's deal was in full swing). I agree many deals are killed because people call in or otherwise make themselves noticed, or simply the sudden volume of sales. However even if the later is true, I wouldn't agree on restricting access. Unless this becomes a paid site, then anyone can register and share the deals.

So as someone that did benefit from the post forwarded/copied to SD, I do have appreciation for both the person that forwarded it and absolutely for the person that first shared the knowledge on this board. Because of them, I am able to afford to take my first ever trip to Europe. I hope that those that post and even read the threads get solace in that. I'm still learning and hope to take personal advantage of deals in the future. If I ever can contribute and not be quite the leech, then I will certainly do so, even if it means potentially losing out myself; it is only fair.

I am still learning (mostly acronyms and learned code, such as I still have no idea what 'PL trick' means [outside an assumption PL is priceLine]) and will pay more attention to these boards. I appreciate those that contribute, but suggest that those that tend to claim information should be restricted to one site are being a little elitist, basically saying "I know of this place and want everything to stay in my realm so there is less chance that my opportunity to profit is not diminished".

So thank you, civicmon, and to others that are interested in aiding the unknown fellow traveler. Obviously spend a lot of time finding the data as well as sharing it.

I did receive my booking confirmation, but never heard anything regarding a refund for the printed ticket fee. Obviously I'm not going to call unless it is necessary and will watch the thread for more details. Again, thank you to those that contribute.

Last edited by mblitch; Oct 5, 2008 at 2:02 pm
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by civicmon

So, justchris82, whatcha gunna do?
I'd like to thank you for your original post...I think we can agree that this has benefited many people out there. For the record, I have posted my own mileage run deal at one point, MIA-EZE, which showed up for $0, a/i...this is in my post history if you don't believe me.

Additionally, posting my personal information out there does not faze me. In fact, I'll even share my personal name and address...

Christopher Harris
1033 6th st. Apt 309
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Last edited by beaubo; Oct 5, 2008 at 3:30 pm Reason: slight edit for maintaining civility

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.