Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheapest airport to fly from in Europe/Near Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:27 am
Original Poster

In terms of low aviation-taxes etc?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:48 pm

the obvious answer: It isn't london

beyond that, I don't believe there is an obvious answer. i suspect that the difference between most others is nominal.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrAOK
the obvious answer: It isn't london

beyond that, I don't believe there is an obvious answer. i suspect that the difference between most others is nominal.
Hm, alright. Though my impression is that London usually are the cheapest of the biggest ones? (FRA, AMS, CDG, ZHR etc)
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier, SPG Gold, BA Silver wanabee
London can be unbelievably cheap to fly from, though usually not LHR.
STN, LGW and LTN are major LCC hubs (Easyjet and Ryanair) and can fly you almost anywhere in Europe for peanuts, even with taxes. I flew to MAD from LGW with Easyjet in September 07 for £45 return (about the price of a nice meal) and WAW with Wizzair (not recommended) from LTN for less than £50 return during the Xmas period.

The LCC market out of London is by far the biggest in Europe and the competition between the carriers can be intense at all times of the year (Easyjet v Ryanair is one of those classic business bun fights) - though you can also be suprised by how expensive LCCs can be at busy times of the year or if you reserve at the last minute.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bazzatel
London can be unbelievably cheap to fly from, though usually not LHR.
STN, LGW and LTN are major LCC hubs (Easyjet and Ryanair) and can fly you almost anywhere in Europe for peanuts, even with taxes. I flew to MAD from LGW with Easyjet in September 07 for £45 return (about the price of a nice meal) and WAW with Wizzair (not recommended) from LTN for less than £50 return during the Xmas period.

The LCC market out of London is by far the biggest in Europe and the competition between the carriers can be intense at all times of the year (Easyjet v Ryanair is one of those classic business bun fights) - though you can also be suprised by how expensive LCCs can be at busy times of the year or if you reserve at the last minute.
Thank you for your answer!

I am well familiar with the intra-european lcc's like ryan or easyjet. Though my main goal is to get to asia as cheap as possible, with an "status"-carrier like cx, qatar, emirates, ba, swiss etc. And my thought was that I could fly with a LCC to almost any airport in europe, and from there travel from the airport that has the best fares.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
DUB has very low taxes; when I've looked at TATL awards, the fees on a flight to DUB seem to be the lowest.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to fly in business class, generally the South is the place to start from. Depending on airline/destination, that can include MAD/BCN, MIL/ROM, ATH/SKG, IST, CAI and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.