Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Route maximizer tool

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Route maximizer tool

It seems there's a need among mileage runners to automate the process of determining the most advantageous routing for a given routing rule, especially when the rule is long and complex. So I wrote a tool to do just that:

http://fly.qux.us/routemax

It should be pretty simple to figure out (if you understand how to read a routing rule; if not, see this). You can copy and paste the relevant part of a routing rule from ExpertFlyer or possibly other sources, or else write your own. It will tell you all the possible ways to fly it, highest mileage first. Then you can sift through the results for routes to investigate further (perhaps by checking the availabilities of that fare along the routes you like).

If nothing else, it's interesting to see the wide range of flown miles a particular fare basis might allow, but my main hope is that this tool will facilitate the process of booking good MRs.

If you find something wrong, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Enjoy!

Last edited by ttjoseph; Nov 27, 2007 at 12:57 am Reason: Updated URL
Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Great tool, thanks very much!
Old Jul 1, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
The 'new' faremetrics ?? Cool !
/.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Awesome tool, thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
Nice! I can't wait to check it out.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: SPG Plat , AAdvantage Plat
Thank you for sharing it !!^
Regards.
Carlos.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Good tool; thanks! ^

One thing to point out:

There are usually many valid routings that are not real today because no flights exists between all city pairs.

So while a computer can tell you where the rules allow you to route...the computer isn't checking flight schedules to see if the airline flies each route. So you still need some research/knowledge of the where the airline flies to put together the best option.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:26 am
Original Poster

To all who responded, you're welcome

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Good tool; thanks! ^

One thing to point out:

There are usually many valid routings that are not real today because no flights exists between all city pairs.

So while a computer can tell you where the rules allow you to route...the computer isn't checking flight schedules to see if the airline flies each route. So you still need some research/knowledge of the where the airline flies to put together the best option.
Absolutely. The next logical step is to integrate GDS queries into this somehow, but I'm not really willing to do it the right way and buy access for the server side. My current thought is to provide a link to an ExpertFlyer search for each segment, which would save the time of filling those boxes for every availability search.

As for now, you can use the "highlight-on-click" feature to help you ignore routes that you know contain unworkable segments.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:10 am

Genius. Thanks. ^
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: AA: PLT SPG:Gold -> Working on EXP ;)
Lightbulb

So we should make his APP into a web service and call both it and ITA for the availability / pricing of each flight right?

-DMS, Tampa FL

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Good tool; thanks! ^

One thing to point out:

Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Missed this the first time it came through (newbie though, so that's my excuse ). This is awesome. Thanks for putting this together.

If only routing rules were easier to find now.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by axostech
So we should make his APP into a web service and call both it and ITA for the availability / pricing of each flight right?
I hadn't thought of this. It would be a timesaver to have the site construct queries to ITA using the ITA route language. When I get some free time I'll have a look.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Missed this the first time it came through (newbie though, so that's my excuse ). This is awesome. Thanks for putting this together.
Glad you like it!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Thanks; I'll put this to good use! ^
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:49 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Great tool! Thanks! I really missed this since faremetrics went down. Would it be possible to add sorting by nbr. of segments instead of miles?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
very cool utility..but alas, it's gotten more difficult to find routing rules

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.