Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: NW Plat
How would one convince a ticket agent (at the airport or an office) to allow date changes when they look at their reservation screen and only see the "new" changed rules?

Seems to me that it would be a breach of contract, but how on Earth would we enforce it, especially with front-line employees?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The issue is whether a potential breach would entitle ticketholders to recovery, and whether the risk of litigation from angry ticketholders is outweighed by the unilateral imposition of contractual terms that mitigate the company's economic loss from the fiasco.
A breach -- more than a potential breach -- is what we are talking about here. And a breach entitles ticketholders to remedy (including compensatory damages and/or specific performance).

More than the legal exposure, AZ should consider the negative media coverage. After telling the media that the tickets were being honored they are now dishonoring the tickets by unilaterally changing the terms of the ticket. If AZ is entitled to do this, then AZ is entitled to downgrade passengers and/or arbitrarily reroute/reschedule them to shake off parties who entered into a contract with it. They could even put passengers onto charter flights all on one or two dates. That doesn't make for a pretty picture.

Ticket = Contract
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The issue is whether a potential breach would entitle ticketholders to recovery
Indeed it would. Enforcement of the contract + possible punitive damages could result.

and whether the risk of litigation from angry ticketholders is outweighed by the unilateral imposition of contractual terms that mitigate the company's economic loss from the fiasco.
They would become a laughingstock if their decision to abrogate their contractual obligations was widely communicated.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:07 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
i think it is similar to how AZ is only honoring ticketed reservation, with the general public not understanding that many reservation were not honored; similarly, people won't understand that the rules are not being honored.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A breach -- more than a potential breach -- is what we are talking about here. And a breach entitles ticketholders to remedy (including compensatory damages and/or specific performance).

More than the legal exposure, AZ should consider the negative media coverage. After telling the media that the tickets were being honored they are now dishonoring the tickets by unilaterally changing the terms of the ticket. If AZ is entitled to do this, then AZ is entitled to downgrade passengers and/or arbitrarily reroute/reschedule them to shake off parties who entered into a contract with it. They could even put passengers onto charter flights all on one or two dates. That doesn't make for a pretty picture.

Ticket = Contract
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
i think it is similar to how AZ is only honoring ticketed reservation, with the general public not understanding that many reservation were not honored; similarly, people won't understand that the rules are not being honored.

Lucky for them, most of those who booked are FT'ers and we'll be well prepared
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:10 pm

One successful lawsuit will let the general public know that the rules are being broken by AZ, should AZ decide to do so.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:11 pm

it is iffy...if they screw it up so it reprices then you may have to make a few phone calls....

Originally Posted by dbmeyer
How would one convince a ticket agent (at the airport or an office) to allow date changes when they look at their reservation screen and only see the "new" changed rules?

Seems to me that it would be a breach of contract, but how on Earth would we enforce it, especially with front-line employees?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:15 pm

i like to think so, but i am afraid that by then the issue would already be "old news" and all that would be recalled is that alitalia honored its obligation. and that is exactly what alitalia wants.

Originally Posted by Spiff
One successful lawsuit will let the general public know that the rules are being broken by AZ, should AZ decide to do so.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:17 pm
Suspended

it is iffy...if they screw it up so it reprices then you may have to make a few phone calls....
If the agent pushes for a reprice, you just say you want to leave your ticket as is and try later/elsewhere. I've gone through this with plenty of airlines -- and dozens upon dozens of times with AZ.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I read that last 3.5 million posts or whatever it is at now, and was wondering if anyone else had their Travelocity reservation wipped out (cancelled) but recieved their paper tickets for it. Are they going to be putting the itinerary back, or should we call them?

Also my tickets say "business restricted." I was probably one of the first people to buy the tickets, and they were mailed to me before the itinerary was cancelled. Does business restricted mean that the new fare rules are in place? They also say NonEnd, what does that mean? Thanks

One other thing, with the AirCanada $0 fare fiasco, didn't they change the fare rules as well? They wouldn't allow any changes at all?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:19 pm

i like to think so, but i am afraid that by then the issue would already be "old news" and all that would be recalled is that alitalia honored its obligation. and that is exactly what alitalia wants.
Perhaps, but after that happens, the damage to AZ's reputation will begin.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:20 pm

i think that by alitalia's point of view there are two seperate costs: PR (image) and actual lost revenue. the PR problem has been contained, as Alitalia by the general public would be viewed at worst as bungling but honoring their obligations. now they are fighting the second battle, by trying to not honor their contractual obligation and make it difficult for people so they cancel. that is what alitalia wants.

Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Lucky for them, most of those who booked are FT'ers and we'll be well prepared
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
If this mistake fare is "big news" in the US,it certainly is not in Italy.There's no mention of the big mess in Italy.They are very well connected to the media and someone has been very busy to avoid any leak to the press.Attention is on the elections anyway...
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Also my tickets say "business restricted." I was probably one of the first people to buy the tickets, and they were mailed to me before the itinerary was cancelled. Does business restricted mean that the new fare rules are in place?
Business restricted just means the fare class is D instead of unrestricted business which is J. AZ cannot change the fare rules which have been posted in several places in this thread.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:22 pm
Suspended

So you are advising that before we get there it's critical to get Alitalia to honor the tickets, fare rules included, sooner than later. If AZ arbitrarily changed the rules, will it be easy to get media persons interested in "airline ticketing games"?

Alitalia and the major online travel agencies better hope there is no more media interest. For AZ, such stories about backtracking would be reinforcing the negative image of AZ. For Orbitz, Travelocity, CheapTickets, etc., it would show that which travel agency you use is meaningless and you may just as well book on the airline websites rather than use the travel agency websites and their word is mostly dirt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.