Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by af250xxl
However, their store managers were the ones who showed me how to get around the "no-Bose products" restriction.

Did any Alitalia agent say it was alright to take the $42 deal?
That's not the point. Orbitz said everything was OK. Orbitz confirmed us. Orbitz issued ticket numbers. Therefore, Orbitz was saying it's OK. I don't care who decided to start cancelling people's tickets, they should be honored.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:29 pm

Yes, that was also a situation where the company(TSI) allowed people to take advantage of their coupons. However, their store managers were the ones who showed me how to get around the "no-Bose products" restriction.

And did you report the store managers that were telling their customers to violate their company's policy to their home office?

I didn't think so.

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:29 pm

Programs: Airmiles
Yes, that was also a situation where the company(TSI) allowed people to take advantage of their coupons. However, their store managers were the ones who showed me how to get around the "no-Bose products" restriction.

So what you are saying is that if it is the armored truck driver that is tossing the money out the back of the truck that it would be fine right?

Listen, jokes aside, your analogies did not make sense int he first place. The situation we have here is more alike to one where someone goes to a garage sale and spots say a a Picasso for a $100. They would be a mighty nice person to point it out to the owner, but they have no obligation to do so. When someone puts a price on something and get exactly what they asked for it it's not theft. Point final.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:30 pm
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Originally Posted by zxcvbs
just saw the story!!!!!! ^ ^ to orbitz and AZ
???? details?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by gldwebs
No, only 2 stopovers - FCO and MXP
From FCO I can rent a car to drive to naples and back
From MXP I am getting a rail pass to travel the continent.

There is no min/max length on a stopover.
Two questions:
1) Does the fare allow stopover without being hit by HIP?
2) Can I change my FCO-LCA or LCA-FCO dates to create a stopover without any penalty if my ticket was issued with a routing through FCO but no stopover?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:32 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
Originally Posted by JMR
???? details?

What did it say????????
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by JMR
???? details?
oh, just the yahoo link posted earlier: here
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Two questions:
1) Does the fare allow stopover without being hit by HIP?
2) Can I change my FCO-LCA or LCA-FCO dates to create a stopover without any penalty if my ticket was issued with a routing through FCO but no stopover?

1) Yes
2) Yes

This is if they honor the rules of the tickets we purchase,d you never know, they might change the deal
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
CNN transcript

It was on regular US CNN at about 5:50 PM, "Situation Room with Wolfe Blitzer".

Blitzer: With the summer vacation season nearing, how would you like a business class round trip airline ticket to Europe for $40 dollars? $40 dollars. Now hundreds of travelers are claiming they are entitled to just that, exposing some of the flaws that come with booking travel online. Our internet report Jacki Shechner is joining us with the latest. $40, not too bad...
(subtitle: Travel Trip-up)

Shechner: Not bad. $33 US dollars, $39 Canadian dollars.
(screen shot of flyertalk home page)
(sub-title, online airline booking glitch results in $2 million mistake)
There is an online comunity of people who on frequent flyer mile enthusiests, they get online and talk about these things and they are notorious for pointing out flaws in the airlines whenever they make mistakes online.
(sub-title: Roundtrip Business class tickets mistakenly sold for $39)
Well, very early Wednesday morning somebody noticed a glitch in an Alitalia flight you could go from Toronto to Cypruss via Milan for $39 Canadien dollars.

(on screen, circles $39, also shows Tacles of 193.77 and service fee of 7.00 for total price of CAD 229.77)

That translates to approxamately $33 US dollars.

(sub-title: Italian Airline will honor about 500 accidentally booked flights)

This spread fast.

(screen changes to post from 1:31 AM: Suddnely, I feel sorry for Alitalia )

About 500 tickets were booked on Alitalia.

(screen changes to Alitalia website homepage)

Now we spook to them today. They say they are going to honor the tickets that were booked and actually ticketed. But there is also a grey area between the time that you book and you ticket, and those are not going to be honored, but if you book through a site like Orbits they are going to refund you that booking fee.

(screen change to orbitz)

Now we also spoke to Travelocity that refered us back to Alitalia and Expedia did not return our calls. Wolfe.

Blitzer: Thanks very much for that: $33 dollars, US dollars. $39 Canadien.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:39 pm

Escape in the Sun Competition

I got it, I got it! Tickets just arrived this afternoon, wahoo!

Now that I feeling lucky, here's a chance to win more tickets wherever Cyprus Airways flies, in conjuction with Interncontinental Aprhodite Hills Hotel. Questions were so easy, made Northwest Airlines Worldperks University seem like Oxford in comparison.

To enter the competition simply answer the 2 questions below, complete the form and click to submit
Prize:

Return economy class tickets for 2 from any Cyprus Airways destination (nearer to the winner's home), to Cyprus
2 nights' double occupancy hotel accommodation on a Bed & Breakfast basis, for 2 at InterContinental Aphrodite Hills Resort Hotel, Paphos
The next draw will take place on 2 May 2006 Terms & Conditions
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Yes.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: CO Gold
So according to the news link only reservations with ticket number will be honored? I think I just missed the cut off. What do you think the chances will be that the all the rest will be honored? I hope CNN broadcast helps us! Maybe the reporter also got in on the deal, who knows?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What surprised me even more was that the moderators of the forum has done nothing... What does Mr. Randy Peterson have to say about this?
Against my better judgement, I'm going to take the time to answer this statement. I can't answer on behalf of Mr. Randy Petersen, however, I do know that he is a very busy man who is probably busy with his many personal & professional endeavors and he probably doesn't have the time to read over 2000 posts.

As for moderator action on this thread - part of the beauty of FlyerTalk is this is a community where people share things. We are here only to moderate FlyerTalk, not to act as the ethics police. For what its worth, I booked some tickets on this fare & I don't consider myself a thief. I also will soon be booking tickets for IAD-YYT which is going to run over $1200 in coach class - and yet, I don't consider Air Canada to be a thief for charging that much of a fare for a distance that isn't all that far.

If it surprises you that the Mods haven't done anything to assist the airlines, then you probably haven't been on FlyerTalk very long. The mods are volunteers who have other jobs & responsibilities - we work long hours & spend quite a bit of personal time on FlyerTalk and get no compensation for it. We're on it because we lover FlyerTalk. Our responsibilities are towards the community of members we serve and to FlyerTalk - not to an airline who left a fare loaded with inventory available for such an extended period of time. As someone with a travel industry yield management background - I know for a fact that it only takes a few quick keystrokes to zero out inventory - sure, it would have potentially resulted in a loss of business on other routes that utilize the same fare class for that 12-20 hour period that the fare was available - but that's a risk that they need to take - it was D-class, so they could have just zeroed out the D-class availability on all dates that this fare was valid for from now through the end of their selling season until they were able to pull the fare from the system - but they didn't. They loaded a fare, which, when purchased, constituted a contract. Had they not wished to close out their transatlantic inventory, they could have zeroed out their flights from MXP/FCO to LCA which is apparently the only citypairs you have to go through to get to LCA on AZ metal - that would have reduced their exposure while still being able to sell their transatlantics - but did they? No. Therefore, although this was most likely a mistake - it was a mistake that they publically filed and set for sale - sold, and issued tickets for. The moderators, and Randy Peteresen, last time I checked, are NOT responsible for filing AZ fares...

So, hopefully that will end your surprise & any future surprises you may have.

In the meantime, I'd like to refer you to the sticky at the top of this forum - the one where it says inside that moderator actions are not to be discussed publically - if you have a problem, you're always welcome to email or PM any one of the Mileage Run mods (or even Senior Mods) or even Randy himself.

I think that everyone needs a bit of a time out from discussing this topic. I'm going to TEMPORARILY close this thread. PLEASE DO NOT START ANY NEW THREADS ON THE LCA FARE - IF YOU DO, YOU MAY BE GIVEN A TIMEOUT.

I'll open it up again later tonight in a few hours once everyone's cooled down a bit. I never thought I'd say this - but log off - see some daylight as opposed to a computer screen - grab a beer - whatever...come back in a few hours when its reopened...

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator

Last edited by bhatnasx; Apr 6, 2006 at 6:37 pm
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 minutes & no posts??
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
You kicked us out for a couple of hours, what do you expect? Shall we head for 3000 posts tonight?

I think the 500 tickets may be a bit low. I think once we add Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Orbitz together, I'd guess 800-1000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.