Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by umguy
Honestly, if you didn't have ticket numbers issued for your ticket you are facing an uphill battle. Just remember. "Fares are not guaranteed until Ticketed"
I have ticket numbers, a confirmation e-mail, and the Orbitz Travel Document, plus a UPS Shipping Number that shows the billing information was received, but that the shipment never left Mankato, MN.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, frequent WN patron
Honestly, if you didn't have ticket numbers issued for your ticket you are facing an uphill battle. Just remember. "Fares are not guaranteed until Ticketed"
With AZ, fares are not guaranteed once ticketed.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sjc_longhorn
...Either force them to honor the tickets they have mailed out or stop selling tickets on their behalf.
That will never happen. Any offer to accept these tickets will be made a gesture of goodwill. AZ could care less about US contract law. Orbitz et al will not refuse to do business with them over their refusal to honor a mistake fare. AZ could care less if any of us refuse to do business with them.

I'm sure their initial discussion was an offer to honor the tickets if it was a small number. Given the sheer number of reservations I'm sure they found, they decided to just say 'no' and let the chips fall where they may.

I would be equally upset if my tickets were cancelled (right now I'm more peeved at orbitz for crashing during my transactions and showing availability that didn't exist) - but if you were AZ, what would you do?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.

Nothing in my confirmation email (which I have printed) said that. In fact, it said "your flight is confirmed."
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by MCI777
OK...well at least we know now,,,I think
I don't think so. Posts such as the one to which you replied do more harm than good because they don't state whether the customer ever had a ticket number. An Orbitz agent telling someone who never had a ticket number that all tickets will be cancelled is just trying to get them off the phone ASAP. If they agent said that some tickets would likely be honored, just not the caller's, the caller would not hang up.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
mama mia!
FYI,it's mamma mia!

I want my tickets!!!!!!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by MACH81
FYI,it's mamma mia!
whatever! i want my tickets too.
maybe if my reservation won't be cancelled until thenm i should call later tonight to make sure the new tickets are being sent out, because now I have the different return date and they should send new tickets.

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by rsherwoo
I had reservations, no tickets #, showed up as cancelled this afternoon. I called Orbitz and was told to call back after 10pm CST to find out if I can receive any compensation for the cancelled reservation. The CSR said that AZ was going to inform Orbitz before 10pm CST of what they were going to do. Anyone else get that story as well?

Rob
I find it hard to believe that the final word is going to come down from AZ in Milan, or even NY, at 10 PM. I think AZ has already made up its mind, and the Orbitz legal team has requested until 10 PM to finish researching the case law, and prepare the memo. Then Orbitz will decide what it can really do, and what position it should take with AZ. All pure speculation, of course, but what else do we have?!
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by beaubo
Just clarify about the ACCURATE 'opportunity cost' vs. hard cost' to AZ.

They only sold D inventory which is likely 2 seats, maybe up to 4 seats max per flight. Now spread those 2-4 seats over AZ flights from YYZ, ORD, IAD, JFK and EWR. However many tickets were sold in D, will only marginally dilute the ability of AZ to sell more J seats. FT might have maxed AZ out of D inventory, but certainly not out of the other J fare buckets.

Further, for those of us who booked during non-peak season (say after August), then there is less likelihood that AZ's J cabins are full in any event, so there's no real hard cost.

Some intriguing middle ground might be getting AZ to agree to a guaranteed/no hassle reinstatement of YYZ-LCA tickets with the proviso that we travel outside of certain 'peak' time periods (May-Aug; Xmas vacation;etc.). I'm happy to scratch their back if they'll keep scratching mine!!!!
The peak travel times for J and Y on TATL are virtual polar opposites - summer is peak time for coach, but the off-peak season for business class. Conversely the fall and winter months are off-peak for coach, but peak time for premium travel. The numerous business class summer TATL sales bear witness to this.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
But what about those who were ticketed, confirmed, charged and sent tickets and whose reservations are still active 36 hours later? ( I booked in the early hours on Wed morning) No reason to believe anything is wrong as no official word from anyone and all good on website. Hotel reservations are already made (no jokes) and plans to go to YYZ already in place.

Basic Question: What is the “statute of limitations” after which an airline cannot just simply cancel your reservation w/o some compensation? We as purchasers normally have 24 hours so what about the airlines? Can they just cancel a week down the line, a month?? If there was a mistake in pricing, shouldn’t they catch it in a reasonable time frame and inform the traveler?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsherwoo
I had reservations, no tickets #, showed up as cancelled this afternoon. I called Orbitz and was told to call back after 10pm CST to find out if I can receive any compensation for the cancelled reservation. The CSR said that AZ was going to inform Orbitz before 10pm CST of what they were going to do. Anyone else get that story as well?

Rob

Unfortunately, we have gotten that story and about 10 others!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:22 pm

It may well be true that "fares are not guaranteed until ticketed", but that is not what a lot of airlines say on their websites. Here is the line from NW's booking page, "Fares and availability are not guaranteed until purchase.". I think it is clear that purchases ocurred (I have a 600 dollar charge on my credit card)
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Just got off the phone with a supervisor from orbitz nothings been confirmed with alitalia. A yes or no answer shouls happen by tomorrrow and none have the tickets have been reinstated yet. Just because you got a paper ticket issued and received mean nothing yet.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
AZ Headquarters are in Rome and not Milan,close to FCO.I'm sure that Orbitz,travelocity and chaptickets are over the phone with AZ as of now.No one is sleeping at AZ,I'm sure,even though the losses will not be as many as previously posted.Many of those seats would have gone unsold anyway.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by typhoon
I bet you were relieved. Doesn't paper in hand count more??
A bird (or 4) in the hand beats 2 in the bush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.