Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:26 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by whlinder
Yes, but are the US agencies deciding to cancel, or is it directed from AZ?
It is definitely from AZ. I booked through a travel agent and AZ cancelled my flights too with a note in the travel agent's computer:

PLS CANCEL HX/NO/UC/UN AIR SEGMENTS
CNX AS INVALID FARE 6APR

This came directly from AZ.

John
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Looks like so far Travelocity is holding on to its “guarantee” (unlike the Osaka/Japan) hotels. If this is truly coming from AZ, then I think Orbitz/Cheaptickets should at least show some resistance instead of just canceling all reservations especially the ones that have been ticketed and confirmed for over 24 hours (even those that have been ticketed and confirmed, period). Its really in their best interest. I know Travelocity banned Air Europa after that Madrid fiasco and people had been flocking to Travelocity ever since (until the recent Osaka deal atleast).
Orbitz/Cheaptickets probably don't want to get in a debit memo fight with AZ, which is what Travelocity might well be facing.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fti
It is definitely from AZ. I booked through a travel agent and AZ cancelled my flights too with a note in the travel agent's computer:

PLS CANCEL HX/NO/UC/UN AIR SEGMENTS
CNX AS INVALID FARE 6APR

This came directly from AZ.

John
Sounds a lot like what SAS did with things last summer. SAS created more headaches for itself by going down that route.

Anyone contact the Canadian TV stations and newspapers yet?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Not really. Automated fare quote = guaranteed based on CRS policies. It is AZ's problem. That's why AZ is the one who cancelled most PNRs. The fallout will be on them.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: AA-Plat, UA Prem Ex, Delta Gold, SPG-Gold, Priority Club-Gold
Latest Orbitz bizarre charge

Why would Orbitz charge me this for ticketed itinerary with two fares costing $200 plus??

This makes no sense at all.... unless they actually think I would pay their processing and service fees for tickets that were obviously never issued!

Last edited by angus1999; Apr 6, 2006 at 11:07 pm
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Aer Lingus Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rcs85551
Not really. Automated fare quote = guaranteed based on CRS policies. It is AZ's problem. That's why AZ is the one who cancelled most PNRs. The fallout will be on them.
Agreed 100% ^
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:31 am

Programs: NW Gold; lifetime WorldClubs
Regarding asking for a refund or disputing credit card charges: I wonder if this is a good idea. I don't want to cancel the reservation, and so far, Orbitz has not informed me that anything has changed. Even if they inform me about a cancelation, wouldn't my best bet to just pretend that everything is in order?

Maybe this is driven by an unrealistic hope that, one way or another, they will honor the reservations...

- Martin
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sounds a lot like what SAS did with things last summer. SAS created more headaches for itself by going down that route.

I've sent an email to the Globe&Mail -- Toronto's National Newspaper.
--
13F

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I have...

Originally Posted by GUWonder

...every National TV and newspaper...just by email so far...if no response by mid-day I will try calling. It will be interesting to see if we get a response...ORBITZ being a big advertiser and all...

Originally Posted by AviationFan
Regarding asking for a refund or disputing credit card charges: I wonder if this is a good idea. I don't want to cancel the reservation, and so far, Orbitz has not informed me that anything has changed. Even if they inform me about a cancelation, wouldn't my best bet to just pretend that everything is in order?

Maybe this is driven by an unrealistic hope that, one way or another, they will honor the reservations...

- Martin
my card wasn't charged, nor have I received any emails or phone calls. I'm holding off for now, it's orbitz' responsibility to notify me if there are any problems, so why provoke them?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:35 am

Programs: AC *E
Originally Posted by MCI777
There might be little hope but I wonder would happen if Toronto media got an hold of this one.
A call has been made to a reporter I know at one of the major papers. We'll see if they are interested.
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AviationFan

- Martin
Better to get the story covered in the media at this point and not ask for a cancellation/refund as of now.

Personally, I am not calling Orbitz/Cheaptickets (or Alitalia) about this matter anytime soon. Instead I'm trying to see who has interested friends in the Canadian press.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Okay, so just looking at different scenarios:

say we get the paper tickets. Show up at the airport, and are denied boarding. What compensation are we entitled to under the law? Not looking for legal advice, just some armchair estimates. Thanks.

EDIT: I mean, I like Toronto - I could end up "stranded" in worse places.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:37 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I called my credit card bank (B of A - oh, well) and they said the charges - tickets and UPS/handling - were filed by Orbitz at 12:46pm ET yesterday but that no funds had been transfered to Orbitz' merchant bank yet. Everything is still up on Orbitz as of now, but tick... tick... tick...

On DL metal YYZ-JFK-FCO so maybe that's more complicated to scrub.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:37 am

odd.
my card was refunded the shipping cost for the ticket.
not canceled yet though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.