Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
Anyway to search for Premium Economy seats on ITA? On some international airlines PE (e.g NZ, SG, AN) is a seperate cabin with enhanced seats and food. This is what I am looking for- not UA's E+...
There is a way to search by fare bucket, and it was posted within the last month or so. I would say that would be the way.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
No YQ

Is there a way to do month long search without yq
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:09 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by tale
No, sorry. We always include all taxes and surcharges in the final total.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
No, sorry. We always include all taxes and surcharges in the final total.
However, from the first search one can figure out which airlines are including substantial YQ on your route and which ones are not. Then one can limit the later searches to one or the other group.

Last edited by aktchi; Mar 2, 2010 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
No tight connections?

Is there an advanced switch I can provide to exclude all "tight connection" routings?

Also, I know that "-change" prevents routings with a change of airports between legs (so no red "EWR/JFK" in the Stops column). But how do I force ITA to use the same airport for the outbound and return legs of a round trip? When you use a semicolon-separated list of destinations (e.g. "AUS;MCI;MEM"), it does no good to fly into AUS and out of MEM...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by caldwell
Is there an advanced switch I can provide to exclude all "tight connection" routings?

Also, I know that "-change" prevents routings with a change of airports between legs (so no red "EWR/JFK" in the Stops column). But how do I force ITA to use the same airport for the outbound and return legs of a round trip? When you use a semicolon-separated list of destinations (e.g. "AUS;MCI;MEM"), it does no good to fly into AUS and out of MEM...
I don't know the answer to your first question. Not sure that is doable, but nothing surprises me with ITA functions.

I believe you have the or airport within xxx amount of miles showing some number. Set that to zero and search again. It will only bring back your departure airport RT.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Doesn't "padconnect" kind of result in what you want? My guess is that if the minimum connection time is, say, 30 minutes, you might get a tight connection warning for connections between 30 and 60 minutes. If you want to exclude the tight connections you would just use "padconnect 30" as it will increase MCT by 30 minutes.

Now you just need to experiment to find out up to how many minutes above MCT are called a tight connection.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club

If you go to advanced then there is a box to prevent airport changes. This is different from the one you've mentioned (for connections).
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Smile

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Doesn't "padconnect" kind of result in what you want? My guess is that if the minimum connection time is, say, 30 minutes, you might get a tight connection warning for connections between 30 and 60 minutes. If you want to exclude the tight connections you would just use "padconnect 30" as it will increase MCT by 30 minutes.
That looks like it'd work. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
If you go to advanced then there is a box to prevent airport changes. This is different from the one you've mentioned (for connections).
Perfect! I hadn't thought to look under the "more options" link. Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
You can set minimum and/or maximum connection times yourself. For example, no less than 60 minutes and no more than 180 minutes -

to: LHR ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 180

This feature should be used sparingly and very conservatively. In the above example, would you really want to avoid a great connection at a great price just because it was 57 minutes or 184 minutes? Similarly, what is a tight connection time at one airport may well be comfortable at another. This is where auto-thinking by software does not work for me. I prefer to pretend to be far more flexible than I really am, and then select my flights manually.

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Doesn't "padconnect" kind of result in what you want?
Minconenct and maxconnect specify absolute times in minutes; padconnect specifies extra time over the airline recommended minimum. To specify at least 30 minutes more than the airline recommended minimum connection time -

to: JFK ::/ padconnect 30

Same precaution applies here: Be very conservative. You wouldn't want to miss a great flight that fell only a few minutes outside your criteria.

How do I force ITA to use the same airport for the outbound and return legs of a round trip? When you use a semicolon-separated list of destinations (e.g. "AUS;MCI;MEM")...
Uncheck the box that says "Allow Airport Changes".

Last edited by aktchi; Mar 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:08 pm

Fare class on a leg of a trip

Hello how do I specify a fare class on a part of the leg of the trip.

For example I am going NYC::PEK - BKK

how do I specify :: / f bc=b on the part NYC-PEK leg?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Say if you'd like to specify a B fare class on the NYC-PEK segment.
Use the multi-city search option.
and type in NYC:: /f bc=b in the origin of the first segment
and type in PEK in the destination of the first segment

and leave PEK-BKK to the second segment and so forth

Hello how do I specify a fare class on a part of the leg of the trip.

For example I am going NYC::PEK - BKK

how do I specify :: / f bc=b on the part NYC-PEK leg?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Corylopsis
Say if you'd like to specify a B fare class on the NYC-PEK segment.
Use the multi-city search option.
and type in NYC:: /f bc=b in the origin of the first segment
and type in PEK in the destination of the first segment

and leave PEK-BKK to the second segment and so forth
Only works for Specific Dates searches, not Month-long, so utility somewhat limited. I don't know how to accomplish this for a Month-long.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:41 pm

It would be great if you could define fare bucket on a Transatlantic /pacific segment and then take whatever segment is cheapest for the rest of the connections.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:18 pm

It would be great if you could define fare bucket on a Transatlantic /pacific segment and then take whatever segment is cheapest for the rest of the connections.
fare restrictions prevent this many times. For example if you book your over water in W (and W is the lowest available) then it many times won't book anything lower than W for your domestic segments. It has to be in the fare restrictions somewhere and not really worth time to read and figure it out. A less time consuming way of doing it is calling and constructing it with an agent who will know if it is possible for your city routings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.