Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Old May 18, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Of course having just said that...
If you want to fly the 7th - 18th still with a stop in HKG then try this link, at time of posting it is pricing the deal the way you want.
LINK
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:14 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
ITA Matrix searching both airline and booking class?

Hi,

Please move this if I have posted in the wrong place. I cannot find the information anywhere.

In ITA Matrix how is it posible to seach for multiple destinations with the criterion of both an airline alliance and some cabin classes? The image shows that I can enter an airline alliance but it will then not allow me to enter a range of cabin classes. So either it is not possible ot I have the wrong syntax.

I have a free weekend in Feburary and trying to find the cheapest AF/KL business class LHR-CDG/AMS-somewhere less than 750 miles return and ideally fit within those a AF/KL return via CDG/AMS to somewhere else less than 750 miles so the schedule would be:
  1. LHR to CDG or AMS to (for example) FRA
  2. FRA to CDG or AMS to (for example) MAD
  3. MAD to CDG or AMS to FRA
  4. FRA to CDG or AMS to LHR
where 1 and 4 are a return ticket and 2 and 3 are a return ticket. Again, FRA and MAD are just examples and I want to search the cheapest destainations.

Thanks

Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use a semicolon; e.g.,
alliance oneworld; f bc=f
siw likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Use a semicolon; e.g.,
alliance oneworld; f bc=f
Building on what Calchas shared, you also can add a "pipe" between booking classes.
Calchas and siw like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: 1K
Matrix newbie...Looking for syntax to price only one leg of multi-leg in discount first on United (P or Z).

E.g. DRO->DEN->IAD with first leg being any class and DEN->IAD P or Z only.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by zdog2x
Matrix newbie...Looking for syntax to price only one leg of multi-leg in discount first on United (P or Z).

E.g. DRO->DEN->IAD with first leg being any class and DEN->IAD P or Z only.
You can search using multi-cities. Enter date and DRO-DEN on your first flight. Then for your second segment, enter DEN-IAD, date and add routing code for booking class you want. See screenshot below for example. Make sure you select the cheapest available cabin, so you can get the cheapest cabin (which is normally economy) on DRO-DEN, while your DEN-IAD will search for the cheapest P or Z available.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
You can search using multi-cities. Enter date and DRO-DEN on your first flight. Then for your second segment, enter DEN-IAD, date and add routing code for booking class you want. See screenshot below for example. Make sure you select the cheapest available cabin, so you can get the cheapest cabin (which is normally economy) on DRO-DEN, while your DEN-IAD will search for the cheapest P or Z available.
Thank you. Very much appreciated and precisely what I was looking for.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:13 pm

I have looked everywhere and can't find a simple answer to this. I want to know if it is possible to do a search with a LONG stopover (say, four weeks) instead of the usual day or so expressed in minutes. There are some great deals where I really want to get out and stay in the penultimate destination and then simply go to the final stop, turn round and head straight home but I can't see how to do this. For example: LHR-HKG-SYD (Stay here for four weeks) - WLG. Then WLG-SYD-HKG-LHR.

If I put in a trip to SYD, then a second trip to WLG, then the third trip back to LHR it costs far more than searching for simply two trips.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:32 pm

The fare you found may not be valid for a stopover in SYD. So when you searched for multi-cities, it gives you a combination of other fares as opposed to a straightforward LHR-WLG r/t.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
The fare you found may not be valid for a stopover in SYD. So when you searched for multi-cities, it gives you a combination of other fares as opposed to a straightforward LHR-WLG r/t.
Possibly, however I still want to know if there is a way to get ITA to do a long stopover. That is, not putting in minutes but some other form of entry?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:59 pm

None that I know of.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Possibly, however I still want to know if there is a way to get ITA to do a long stopover. That is, not putting in minutes but some other form of entry?
If you want a stopover in the region of 4 weeks, then the multi-city approach is also the only one that I know of. If there are valid fares, they should be returned using that search input; it ought to make no difference whether you were searching via the multi-city approach or using some code (which doesn't exist) to specify a stopover of that length.

Don't forget that for your query (assuming that is the kind of route that you're looking for), it may be just as well for you to search for LHR-HKG-SYD//WLG-SYD-HKG-LHR and then buy a standalone SYD-WLG in between. With a four-week stop in SYD and then a further stop in WLG before you begin your journey back to London, there is no technical advantage to having SYD-WLG on the same ticket and therefore there's no point getting hung up on whether you can find a fare that allows the long stop.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you want a stopover in the region of 4 weeks, then the multi-city approach is also the only one that I know of. If there are valid fares, they should be returned using that search input; it ought to make no difference whether you were searching via the multi-city approach or using some code (which doesn't exist) to specify a stopover of that length.

Don't forget that for your query (assuming that is the kind of route that you're looking for), it may be just as well for you to search for LHR-HKG-SYD//WLG-SYD-HKG-LHR and then buy a standalone SYD-WLG in between. With a four-week stop in SYD and then a further stop in WLG before you begin your journey back to London, there is no technical advantage to having SYD-WLG on the same ticket and therefore there's no point getting hung up on whether you can find a fare that allows the long stop.
It was in response to a suggestion of a cheap J fare to Oz during December which involved a positioning flight to begin in CAI and then ending in WLG, via SYD where a long stopover was allowed. So the ticket really needed to end in WLG to enable the cheaper fare. If I used the multi city and made the second flight SYD-WLG, the price shot up, whereas if the assumption was a flight where the SYD stopover was the MCT, the price was extremely good.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It was in response to a suggestion of a cheap J fare to Oz during December which involved a positioning flight to begin in CAI and then ending in WLG, via SYD where a long stopover was allowed. So the ticket really needed to end in WLG to enable the cheaper fare. If I used the multi city and made the second flight SYD-WLG, the price shot up, whereas if the assumption was a flight where the SYD stopover was the MCT, the price was extremely good.
Then it sounds like a fare that didn't allow a long (or perhaps any) stopover in SYD. If it had done, it should have priced properly even on the multi-city approach.

You can test this using any fare which you know allows a stopover. Price it using the different search approaches; you should get the same result.

Of course, with that specific fare that you mention, if it really was that cheap then one option would have been to fly all the way to WLG, and then just fly straight back to SYD. It's only a 3˝ hour flight ...
PAL62V likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
There's also the option of pricing it up without a stopover, and then pulling up the fare rules. These will indicate whether stopovers are allowed or not and then you know if you're searching for something that's allowed or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.