Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Old Dec 2, 2001, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.

Maybe Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanza - and the 'gift of status' for a few - can come courtesy of FT this year!

Well, the deadline for reaching status goals is less than 30 days away! And with the reduced schedules, the cheap X-mas seats are now already few and far between. So it looks like its gonna get tougher and tougher to reach status (cheaply) by years end.

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who is really in 'a world of hurt.' Someone who, perhaps, REALLY needs a little FTer buddy help - and who REALLY needs that status.

This thread is ONLY for the most desperate!

And maybe ONLY the most difficult challenges, please...???

(No reason to post a need for 2,000 miles or 4 segments here!

There are alot of savvy people who regularly contribute to this board. I was thinking that if FTers combine our collective resources...that we might be able to help spread a little Christmas cheer...???

From those seeking advise, FTers will need to know:

1. No. of miles/segments that you have at present.
2. How many more miles/segments will it take to reach your goal.
3. Where are you are based.
4. Whether or not there is some place specific that you would really like to go.
5. Dates you are available to travel are must a must - in both directions, please!

(Please do not post a request unless you provide us with these dates - cause it's what FTers need to help you the most!).

6. Also, it would help if you mentioned the budget, please!

Come on fellow FTers, jump in and help spread a little (lasting) Christmas cheer!

Isn't the 'gift of status' appropriate for this time of year?

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-06-2001).]
Old Dec 2, 2001, 12:52 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Am I sick for wishing that CO had some sort of higher level than Plat?? It just seems all so anticlimactic... Great idea, in some sick way I wish I needed to make use of it!
Old Dec 2, 2001, 10:20 pm

I've heard from a little birdie that CO is toying with that very idea...a higher level than PLAT. It's close to happening.
Old Dec 2, 2001, 10:38 pm

Have 35K on NWA need 50K to make gold. Leave from MPLS. Can travel most days as I have vacation. Either NWA or Codeshare CO flights would work. (For work related reasons, cannot leave the continental US, cannot get trapped abroad. Need to be able to drive back if God forbid another 911 event would happen.) Have 3 or 4 vacation days left, thus, combination of weekday and weekends would work, but somewhat prefer to go out Sat and back Sunday. Travel up to 12/22 is possible, after that not possible. Will be paying for flights and stays myself so minimizing cost is important. Prefer to go anyplace warm, Florida, New Orleans, Texas, AZ, CA. Leave from MSP. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 3, 2001, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mspflyer1:
Any suggestions?</font>
It would appear that you need 15K. Can you be a little more specific?

Are you already Gold and attempting to retain your current status? As a silver/gold member you may have received info regarding the Y, B, and M promotional elite challenge in the mail. If so, did you pre-register for this promotion (hoping against all odds )?

If you did not pre-register, could you check with WorldPerks to see if your account was flagged for that promotion?

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-03-2001).]
Old Dec 3, 2001, 9:20 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
ATL to AirTran cities is $80 one way, including MSP. MSP-ATL-someplace and back in the same day would obviate the need for a hotel, but at $80 a leg, 15,000 miles worth could be expensive.
Old Dec 3, 2001, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I am NW silver and need about 5,200 miles for gold. I am free after noon on 12/19, and just maybe from Dec 7-9. I can leave from BOS BDL PVD or MHT. I can't go very close to Christmas as my wife would kill me. I need either NW or CO miles to qualify and would love to do it for less than maybe $300. I have been all over dream maps. I have one trip on NW planned already. Maybe two short quickies for 3 for gold, or one coast to coast will do. Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 3, 2001, 10:36 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
You can do a day trip to ATL (such as Dec. 20) for $150+tax, such as BOS-EWR-CLE-ATL; ATL-EWR-BOS. Repeat another day.
Old Dec 3, 2001, 11:33 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
tvl4free, finally a chance to use your powers for good instead of evil , and make a lot of Europeans very happy in the process. Here's a challenge a lot of us are struggling with, and your magic with a CRS could be invaluable:

You will, no doubt, have read about the fantastic promotion that KLM is running. Most of us are in the same boat -- we need the full 12000 FD points or 20 segments in the next six months. Any flight within the FD program qualifies.

While I can usually work my magic building 8 and 10 segment runs with FFAssistant (thanks, MJG!) I'm struggling to squeeze extra segments out when it comes to KL/NW runs.

Realistically, I'm assuming we need to finish our travel before March, when fares traditionally creep back up. Most of us can only travel on weekends, although being able to avoid the Saturday night stay requirement would be a bonus for many.

Selfishly, a STN/LGW/LCY/LHR start would be best for me, but others need fares ex-CDG, FRA, and AMS. I'm happy to qualify on segments or points, but am obviously looking for the best deal. Right now, two trans-atlantics with connections are looking like the best option, but you might tell me differently...

So, tvl4santa, have I been a good boy this year? I've apologised for that whole foot-and-mouth thing (and the related politician's disease, foot-in-mouth), and that mad-cow prank was just a bit of harmless fun.

Have you got something to put into my stocking?

There's milk and cookies in it for you, and a carrot for your reindeer.

------------------
Please visit The Mileage Runner's Toolkit and Unofficial United Airlines Guide
Old Dec 3, 2001, 12:28 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold

Earn 2,500 WorldPerks Bonus Miles!
Every time you book online at nwa.com you earn 2,500 WorldPerks Bonus Miles.

RESERVATIONS RESERVATIONS | DESTINATION GUIDE | MAPS | FIND | HELP | MY ITINERARIES | MY PROFILE

Welcome [email protected] Change Sign-In Sign-Out

BOOK A FLIGHT

Summary
1 Ticket / Roundtrip
PVD Providence to
PDX Portland

Leave: Mon 10-Dec
Return: Tue 11-Dec

1 adult $151.62
Taxes $38.88

Total cost $190.50 (How's this one?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTIONS?

Is it safe to buy online?

Total price for this trip: $190.50

1 Review the flight details

Mon 10-Dec-01

1115 mi (1794 km)
3hr 20mn Providence (PVD)
Depart 8:05 AM to Minneapolis (MSP)
Arrive 10:25 AM
Flight: 5616
OPERATED BY EXPRESS AIRLINES I-JET SERV/NW AIRLINK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Economy/Coach Class, Canadair RJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1423 mi (2290 km)
3hr 37mn Minneapolis (MSP)
Depart 11:27 AM to Portland (PDX)
Arrive 1:04 PM
Flight: 379

Economy/Coach Class, Airbus A320

Total miles: 2538 mi (4085 km)
Total flight time: 6hr 57mn (7hr 59mn with connections)

Tue 11-Dec-01

1423 mi (2290 km)
3hr 18mn Portland (PDX)
Depart 7:00 AM to Minneapolis (MSP)
Arrive 12:18 PM
Flight: 372

Economy/Coach Class, 755, 90% on time

1115 mi (1794 km)
3hr 10mn Minneapolis (MSP)
Depart 1:00 PM to Providence (PVD)
Arrive 5:10 PM
Flight: 5617
OPERATED BY EXPRESS AIRLINES I-JET SERV/NW AIRLINK

Economy/Coach Class, Canadair RJ

Total miles: 2538 mi (4085 km)
Total flight time: 6hr 28mn (7hr 10mn with connections)

2 Review the rules and restrictions

A fee of 100.00 USD will be charged for itinerary changes after the ticket is issued.Ticket is non-refundable.

Refer to our Customers First policy when purchasing tickets.

Tickets are non-transferable.

Due to the restrictions associated with this fare, tickets must be purchased immediately. It is not possible to reserve this fare for later ticketing.

[This message has been edited by opushomes (edited 12-03-2001).]
Old Dec 3, 2001, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

VERY nice job opushomes!

At the moment, it would seem that your proposal is the best deal 'out there' for our new friend, OB one! It's cheap, and it meets his mileage requirements.

Earlier today, I had thought about your proposal too. Unfortunately, your itinerary is not for the dates requested - but then again, maybe OB one will be able to modify his days off...???

If so, perhaps you've given 'the bud' a very nice Christmas! Thanks!

For this weekend, Dec 7-8, the best deal that I could find was $261 from BOS-LAS via DTW and MEM (taxes have become a killer)... and this would give OB one just over 5,300 miles. This might be bookable online either thru NWA or Orbitz using the multi-city function.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MatthewClement:
tvl4santa</font>

Hey buddy, could you e-me the FD point structure? I can't seem to find a copy of it online. And, isn't it different for every country? Looks like we have some time to hammer this thing out.

BTW, after all these years, the reindeer are over carrots! But they do accept sparkling jewelry that jingles, perferably in 18K gold!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-03-2001).]
Old Dec 3, 2001, 5:42 pm

Let me clarify. I am Gold currently. I have 35K and need 15K more. Not aware of the promotion you mentioned on the Y,B or M fares. Still could use help. Do you think I could get by without the 50K due to 911? I suspect that I might not need 50K, but I think 35K is too low. Thanks in advance.
MSPFLYER1
Old Dec 4, 2001, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Opushomes and tvl4free, a great big THANKS for your help. I ended up booking PVD PDX on Dec 18 for $190, leaves 6 am, back at 11 pm. It will be tight at PDX (just over 1 1/2 hours on ground) but I am hoping the same plane just turns around from PDX and returns to DTW. Otherwise I will have to accept whatever I can get and that may be a mistake, but we live and learn.

I had tried this itinerary on other dates via dream maps, but it kept showing sold out so I din't bother going to nwa.com to look. With opushomes advice about the early December availability, I just had to look around nwa.com a little deeper and reschedule one work day. Of course, I will be a zombie on Wednesday, but I think I can muddle through.

Again Thank you and tv4free you are right, opushomes had given a bud a great Christmas gift. Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 10:31 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
OB One

Do not worry about not being able to get back. In all probability it is the same aircraft. I assume that you are coming in on NW375 and out on NW376. We are down to 5 or 6 flights each day. (from 7 or 8). You should arrive at C17 or C19 and depart from the same gate. It will be unnecessary for you to leave this area and deal with the National Guard and the "I want to feel your body" security bunch.

There are food, books, magazines, sundries, Wendy's (I categorize them differently from food) and espresso (or coffee) available in the area ajacent to the gates. You can even walk to the beginning of C (at the confluence of A&B), Do Not exit past security, and visit our new flight museum. There are also some attractive pieces of art placed strategically on the new C concourse.

Please remember also that Oregon has no sales tax and all prices in the airport are the same as in the city. (almost true, because snack paks do cost considerably more than in the grocery or at Costco.) If you do want to do some quick shopping for gifts, you do have to exit security and return, but it should not be a big deal. Just scope out the line before leaving the secure area.

Located in the Oregon Marketplace are Norm Thompson, Real Mother Goose (one of America's best contemporary galleries-&, yes, they ship), "Made in Oregon", Powell's Books.

Enjoy your $190 adventure.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold

Anyone think I can make DL PM? By Dec 13th I'll have 74k base. How much will it cost me to rack up 26k? I'm flying out of SAN but could do SNA, LAX or ONT. The problem is the double base miles promotion ends Dec 15...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.