Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2001, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
pamgodd --

Will a two segment round trip do? If so, the cheapest M fares that I can find on NW are MEM-LIT for $180 and MEM-STL for $216. All require only a 1 day stay if flown 12/26--31, otherwise a Sat. nite. You also might be able to nest a couple MEM-LIT tickets to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Old Dec 7, 2001, 3:13 pm
Karen Reinhardt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tvl4free:
[B] How many segs do you already have... what is your budget... and what do you mean by modest? For last minute travel, it's going to be tough. International would probably be best.

Hi!
I don't think I can do it on segments, as I think I still need like 22. I have a budget of $300-400. International is OK with me, as long as I can get it done by Thursday. I have to go back to Canada on Friday.

------------------
bluenoser

Old Dec 7, 2001, 3:50 pm

Quick Facts: I fly NW, I live in MSP, and I am a complete idiot.

With travel booked from December 23 to 31 "figured in", I will have 74,280 miles on NW this year. I made an error in computing part of the 200% promo, leaving me 720 miles short. I just realized this. Good grief.

It should be easy, right? However, the only day off I have from now until I leave on other trips (BIL and SIN) on Dec 23rd is December 22nd. I have to go somewhere, ANYWHERE on December 22nd to make Plat(NW rounds up anything under 500 OW to 500 miles, making 1,000 miles the min. for any RT flight). I leave just after 9:00am on the 23rd from MSP, so I could overnight if I get back to MSP early on the 23rd.

My plan as of now is to do MSP-MDW on NW for $151, priceline some digs for the evening of the 22nd, and get back to MSP at about 8:30am. Tight. Maybe too tight. Total cost about $200, which is insane for 1,000 status miles, but worth it for Plat. (Right?)

My other idea is, well, less straightforward. I will be in SIN Dec 28, 29, and 30. KLM appears to fly SIN to Jakarta. Perhaps a quick RT while I am at SIN?

My apologies if this is too prosaic a quandry, but do I really have to pay $200 for 1,000 miles??? That is the worst mileage run ever!

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Shinkansen (edited 12-07-2001).](Typos!)

[This message has been edited by Shinkansen (edited 12-07-2001).](More typos - I need a nap)

[This message has been edited by Shinkansen (edited 12-07-2001).]
Old Dec 7, 2001, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pamgodd:
I can fly almost anyday except the 19th, 23-25th. Budget is $700. Am based in Memphis but can fly out of Little Rock, AR also.</font>
Any chance at all you can fly half a day on the 23? Or all day on the 24th?

Please, pretty please?

Old Dec 7, 2001, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Karen Reinhardt:
[b]
Originally posted by tvl4free:
International is OK with me, as long as I can get it done by Thursday. I have to go back to Canada on Friday.</font>
Tough, very tough. Wish you were in NYC.

Would you please re-calculate your miles to include include the recent trip to FLA and the trip back up to Canada?

You sure it's gonna be 11K that is needed?
Old Dec 7, 2001, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shinkansen:

My plan as of now is to do MSP-MDW on NW for $151, priceline some digs for the evening of the 22nd, and get back to MSP at about 8:30am. Tight. Maybe too tight. Total cost about $200, which is insane for 1,000 status miles, but worth it for Plat. (Right?)

</font>
WRONG ... in that your plan appears too tight... and involves an unnecessary overnite expense.

Maybe you could bite the bullet on this one and just buy a RT 4 seg 14 day advance ticket from Brainerd to St. Clould via MSP with outbound late on the 22nd, and the 2 seg return sometime early next year. BRD-MSP is 114 miles and MSP-STC is 62. Voila! 1,000 miles for this year... and 1,000 miles for next.

Make the return Monday thru noon TH to get the best fare.

Have your TvlElf drive you to Brainerd and drop you off. By the time he makes the 59 airmile trip to STC... you'll be a 1,000 miles richer! RT Fares should run around $163 plus tax. $187 total.

The two segments with the cxn shouldn't take more than just a few hours.

If the fares out of STC are competitive with MSP, it might be a good idea for you to try and 'tag-end' a few of your trips next year.

It's an ONTARIO kind of thing!

Season Greetings from your FT buds!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-08-2001).]
Old Dec 8, 2001, 8:45 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Karen Reinhardt:

I don't think I can do it on segments, as I think I still need like 22. I have a budget of $300-400. International is OK with me, as long as I can get it done by Thursday. I have to go back to Canada on Friday. </font>
TPA-EWR, for late today ONLY priced on the CO site for $137 RT as a web special. Out today 12/8 and back 12/10-11. Might be a way to at least pick up a few extra miles. Rest you could do later...? Try booking TPA-CLE-EWR for the extra miles.

The only other thing that I was able to find within the budget was out of MIA. MIA-LIM RT via PTY on COPA was $388. No advance purchase, 3 day minimum stay, out on the 9th or 10th, back on the 12th or 13th. 5,252 miles. You could even do about a 10 hour layover in Panama City outbound... and perhaps visit the Miraflores locks... or visit the My Name is Panama clothing store... located in and across from the El Panama hotel. They are the only major clothing manufacturer that specializes in mola clothing featuring molas of the Kuna Indians from San Blas.

Old Dec 8, 2001, 1:04 pm
Karen Reinhardt

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
Tough, very tough. Wish you were in NYC.

Would you please re-calculate your miles to include include the recent trip to FLA and the trip back up to Canada?

You sure it's gonna be 11K that is needed?
</font>
I recalculated, and I now need 7410 miles. when I looked at my account I couldn't see where they were crediting double miles, but then, the double miles don't count toward status anyway, do they?

I'll try that CO flight to Newark, but would like to get all the miles in one trip if possible, as I'm running out of time.

thanks so very much....

Old Dec 8, 2001, 1:08 pm
Karen Reinhardt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DuhWane:
[B] Assuming that your 11,695 is reduced by 5,322 for SEA-TPA (via IAH) and TPA-YHZ for 3,224 (via EWR...counting double miles promo for both), you need 3,149 to get there. Since you want to fly virtually last mintue, try TPA-IAH-MSY on CO for $235. If my math's correct, including the double miles it's 5,148. Let us know how it works out for you.

Hi, and thanks. I'm down to 7410 miles needed. I don't think that the double miles count for status. I could do the tpa-iah-msy, I suppose, and then do trvl4free's tpa-ewr run. that would do it, but I'd like to try to get it over with all at once, as I'm running out of time.

Old Dec 8, 2001, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

BTW the COPA flights do earn double miles. Let me look at this a little differently.

HUMM!

GOT IT! Standby!!!

Old Dec 8, 2001, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Karen Reinhardt:
I'm running out of time.</font>
Now I've noticed that you have no e-mail.

So e-me please. 7,600 'no advance purchase' miles for $459. 3 days of relatively easy traveling, but only away from TPA one nite. Would post the propsal here be it might not be a good idea. You must start tomorrow!!!

Cheery holidays to ya! Who's next?

Old Dec 8, 2001, 4:31 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tvl4free:

-------------------------------------------
Maybe you could bite the bullet on this one and just buy a RT 4 seg 14 day advance ticket from Brainerd to St. Clould via MSP with outbound late on the 22nd, and the 2 seg return sometime early next year. BRD-MSP is 114 miles and MSP-STC is 62. Voila! 1,000 miles for this year... and 1,000 miles for next.
---------------------------------------------
tvl4free, you are the man.

I had to slightly modify your suggestion due to the trip from St Cloud to Brainerd, even though it is two segments, still only counts as 500 miles. Thus, I needed a RT this year for the 1,000 miles. Your St. Cloud suggestion got me thinking. I then booked a RT from St Cloud to MSP to get me to MSP for my trip out on the 23rd, with a return from MSP which works with my return from SIN. And when I say it fits, it fit perfectly!

The absolute killer part is that it was $159, AND the St Cloud airport is faster for me to get to than MSP! (I live in a NW burb of the metro). I never thought about St. Cloud before, and it appears that long term parking is cheaper (I think $4 per day less, saving me $32 right there from Dec 23 to 31st).

So, in review:

1. Easier, faster, no traffic drive to the airport
2. Cheaper and easier parking
3. No overnight required, so no hotel expense
4. No tight connections
5. Saves the 22nd completely, as added flights blend into existing flights.
6. tvl4free is the man

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Shinkansen (edited 12-08-2001).]
Old Dec 10, 2001, 10:10 am

tvl4free,

Your suggestion just gets better...

I have found out I was told incorrectly that parking at the little St Cloud airport is $4 per day less than MSP. I called back during regular hours and talked to the admin. office. I was told there is a lot next to the airport which is FREE, and that long term parking is just fine...

So, instead of eight days of parking at $10.50 per day ($84), my parking exp. is zero. The $159 St Cloud - MSP RT just became a $74 flight ($159 - $84).

I love it!
Old Dec 10, 2001, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Hi,

I'm currently UA 1P (and have already requalified for 1P for next year). However I suddenly got some more vacation time that I could use and I thought about going for 1K on UA before the end of the year. I'm currently at 50485 miles and will have about 53340 miles by the end of the year (after Xmas trip). So I'd have to fly 47,000 miles to make to 1K in about 2 weeks. I looked into 2 or 3 runs between IAD (and other east coast cities) and SIN, but a lot of flights were sold out, etc. Then I came across this thread and thought for the heck of it, I'd throw this challenge out and see if anyone can think of something "reasonable"? ;-) I'd like to start whatever runs on Dec 19th, but could start as early as 15th (yeah, yeah, probably way too late). I have a flight AUS-IAD on 22nd and DCA-ORD-AUS on 26th, so I need to be back in AUS by morning of 22nd. I wouldn't mind spending up to about 700-750 dollars per round-trip...

Can anyone meet this challenge? ;-)

[This message has been edited by UA_Eagle (edited 12-10-2001).]
Old Dec 10, 2001, 9:24 pm

Okay, after much searching...I'm going buggy.

I need 2845 miles on United to move to Premier Exec. I'm based in Santa Barbara, and don't care where I go.

Available for travel on December 15th - 16th or December 30th - 31st.

I'd like to stay under $300.00.

Any ideas? Thanks much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.