Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] KU: CMB-IST $176, and CMB-FCO $204 C Class

[PREM FARE GONE] KU: CMB-IST $176, and CMB-FCO $204 C Class

Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Tintin13
Hi I booked Colombo - Rome
Received confirmation and E tickets.

I need to book another ticket from Melbourne to Colombo though, how long should I wait until I book this ticket?
Can the airlines cancel up until the last minute i.e a few days before departure
The airline can cancel anytime it wants, even as late as when you check-in, although in the latter case they would usually offer to fly you economy rather than leave you stranded. (Swiss did exactly that on the RGN fares, refusing to carry pax in F but offering economy instead).

While the airline can cancel anytime it wants, the issue is whether that cancellation is legal. But unfortunately that doesn't help you much as these things often take a long time to sort out if going through official or legal channels.

If the airline cancels your options are the local transportation authority (for example in the USA it would be the DOT, so you'd be looking for the Sri Lankan equivalent if there is one), or to take the airline to court. Or to take a refund and fly another carrier (not hugely expensive ex CMB anyways).

Flights to the USA may offer some protection (from the DOT) but these tickets don't touch US soil.

With all of these it's a good idea to have back up plan, and book refundable arrangements where possible for things like hotels.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:00 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
...but these tickets don't touch US soil.
But they do Europe, so presumable EU regulations should apply no? Which can be better than DOT.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Far Siren
But they do Europe, so presumable EU regulations should apply no? Which can be better than DOT.
Unfortunately not. EU regulations only cover flights from the EU for non-EU carriers. And even then, EU261 is predicated on having valid reservations. If the airline cancels the tickets because of mistake, EU261 doesn't come in to play as you technically don't have valid tickets to board (at the time).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:36 pm

Thanks for the advice, I notice some others have booked in November. I will wait and see as to wether their booking is honoured etc before making further travel arrangements.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
I'm booked on 23/9 and am holding out on my positioning side too. Will report how it goes.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:48 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Unfortunately not. EU regulations only cover flights from the EU for non-EU carriers. And even then, EU261 is predicated on having valid reservations. If the airline cancels the tickets because of mistake, EU261 doesn't come in to play as you technically don't have valid tickets to board (at the time).
Thanks for the clarification! Makes total sense.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Received Email from OTA (Smartfares) that my ticket was cancelled due to airfare error.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by davistev
Received Email from OTA (Smartfares) that my ticket was cancelled due to airfare error.
Did you cross checked your reservation at KU website? Is that showing cancelled as well?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by kshastry
Did you cross checked your reservation at KU website? Is that showing cancelled as well?
i bought at kuwait airways web site, and the sale has been pending for a few days. and it has just posted on Sept 4. i have no idea what is going on and obviously, i havent received any email.

But again, i have never received any email from ET about ex BKK YYZ and my dad went to their office and was told my ticket is not okay to fly.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by pbd456
i bought at kuwait airways web site, and the sale has been pending for a few days. and it has just posted on Sept 4. i have no idea what is going on and obviously, i havent received any email.
Not entirely sure what you are saying but reservations and ticketing are two separate things.

Do you have a reservation number.? If you do, then you can use your last name and the reservation number at "manage booking" at the website here

https://www.kuwaitairways.com/en/Pages/default.aspx

When this opens you should see "reservation information" and your name should be there with an associated ticket number listed. Provided an e-ticket has been issued then all is ok.

If you have a reservation but not an e-ticket, then you might have been unlucky and booked just as the deal got pulled by the airline, meaning your reservation was created but not ticketed in which case you are basically out of luck....
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea
When this opens you should see "reservation information" and your name should be there with an associated ticket number listed. Provided an e-ticket has been issued then all is ok.
KU might still cancel it though even e-ticket is issued.
Booked on KU and been waiting...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by terbangalways
KU might still cancel it though even e-ticket is issued.
Booked on KU and been waiting...
Booked on KU. I have a ticket no (229****) and shows as ticketed on the website site along with email from the airlines
My travel is not until July 2018, but should i keep an eye for cancellation email or be worry free?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Nomad98
Booked on KU. I have a ticket no (229****) and shows as ticketed on the website site along with email from the airlines
My travel is not until July 2018, but should i keep an eye for cancellation email or be worry free?
Mine is even later July 2018. LOL
Well we should not be worried, its indeed an error fare thats too good of a deal.
Just hope if KU needs to cancel that they should cancel at the earliest so we can make plan.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Mine is even later July 2018. LOL
Well we should not be worried, its indeed an error fare thats too good of a deal.
Just hope if KU needs to cancel that they should cancel at the earliest so we can make plan.
Ok. If I change dates, will I pay the repriced fares? or just the change fees?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I don't disagree about this being a mistake fare, but given that the normal J fare for some of these routes are only about US$600-700 anyway, you'd think they would be inclined to let this one slide considering how seemingly limited the impact was.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.