Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

why still doing mileage runs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice

my question is why are people still doing mileage runs? with EQD or whatever they are called and with redeemable miles being like 8-1 to the fare price, so if on a 400 fare to asia, maybe half taxes only receiving a small amount of rdm's, why do people still do these? i am talking, united, aa, or delta? when i did a mileage run before it was to ear a whole bunch of rdm's, and to put me over a certain threshold but with eqd's or whatever they are called seems like a dying deal.

thanks for your time

kc tigers
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
214 posts and you're posting this question here?
SvenAge, AceReport, PDXAA and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:32 pm

I think for most of the cases is to get the airline status? For me, I collect aeroplan on UA flights and it's still distance based.
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
PQMs are still earned based on miles. So if you have 40K miles and need 50K for Premier Gold, a 10K mileage run is in your future, even though you'll get a measly amount of award miles.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:02 pm

Of the big 3, I chase Delta for status because it offers a waiver for the EQD for foreign registered addresses. I am not aware of the same for the others.

No, despite my status, it seems that I earn virtually no usable/redeemable miles flying Delta.

Previously I was hot on BA status because their tier system was easy to follow, but now that too has gone haywire with exceptions, special notes, 'see the annex' and 'except on thursdays' small print caveats.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lennys26v2
Of the big 3, I chase Delta for status because it offers a waiver for the EQD for foreign registered addresses. I am not aware of the same for the others.

No, despite my status, it seems that I earn virtually no usable/redeemable miles flying Delta.

Previously I was hot on BA status because their tier system was easy to follow, but now that too has gone haywire with exceptions, special notes, 'see the annex' and 'except on thursdays' small print caveats.
UA also offers a waiver for PQM for foreign registered addresses.

Some of us are running to reach the next MM level before things change. I'm closing in on 3MM which will give me 1K (and the GPUs) "for life."
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Not everyone has dollar requirement for status. Go find out more info.

and on some deals the earnings on partners are break even with the price you paid.

status. Av geek. Promos. Can think of a ton of reasons.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There are two at least related threads in the last 18 months:

Mileage Runs Waning?

Mileage Runs Waning?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:51 pm

I have a United MP Visa, it waives the PQD requirement.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
UA also offers a waiver for PQM for foreign registered addresses.

Some of us are running to reach the next MM level before things change. I'm closing in on 3MM which will give me 1K (and the GPUs) "for life."
Thanks for the info. I will look into that.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tomasdev
Not everyone has dollar requirement for status. Go find out more info.

and on some deals the earnings on partners are break even with the price you paid.

status. Av geek. Promos. Can think of a ton of reasons.
and some times you earn 100% of the miles flown as RDMs by crediting it to a partner and by getting status with that carrier you end up reaching a high enough level with that alliance to reap the benefits when flying as well.

But for sure you have to do your homework and crunch the #s to make sure its worthwhile.

Then theres also the fare being so cheap who cares what I will earn I wanted to checkout that location and now I can do so on the cheap
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
1, You will get full PQM on cheap MRs, and PQD can be waived by CC or foreign address.
2, Bulk fare is the secret to earn more RDM, UA 1k travel on $600 ewr-sin regular ticket will earn about 2000 RDM, however same or even cheaper priced bulk ticket on same itinerary will earn 22,024 RDM (50% distance flown plus 100% 1k bonus.)

Last edited by gokeeper; Nov 6, 2017 at 12:05 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:57 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Since I live in Bangkok (previously in China,) and my family is in the US, I use the SWU's from EXP to get UPG's on cheap fares on AA, usually HKG-LAX. Since I can travel anytime, I have usually been UPG'd, except on some of the domestic segments. Since AA's UPG list goes by EQD balance as the first factor, there are still benefits to doing MR's in premium cabins on partners. I'm always trying to make them less MR and more pleasure trips. Though, the eight MH BKK-KUL-PEK runs weren't too much fun this year. These also generate the most RDM's as well, like 51k RDM's for the QR business class BKK-DOH-LAX RT which was only $1500. That was not a MR but one of my trips back to the US. I know some people who did them as MR's, but I just didn't see the need to do that, since I was already requalified as EXP by then.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion; Hhonors Diamond; Southwest A List
Originally Posted by kctigers
my question is why are people still doing mileage runs? with EQD or whatever they are called and with redeemable miles being like 8-1 to the fare price, so if on a 400 fare to asia, maybe half taxes only receiving a small amount of rdm's, why do people still do these? i am talking, united, aa, or delta? when i did a mileage run before it was to ear a whole bunch of rdm's, and to put me over a certain threshold but with eqd's or whatever they are called seems like a dying deal.

thanks for your time

kc tigers
I've never done one before, but I'm starting to research the best ways to construct a good mileage run.

My reason is that I'll be fairly close to re-qualifying for Diamond Medallion status this year again, but I'm probably going to be around 20,000 MQM's short. It would probably be much cheaper for me to fly to Asia or South America if I could find a moderately or low priced ticket with a high MQM yield as opposed to buying the MQMs in December -- and I could have the added bonus of potentially visiting some random city that I would otherwise never have a reason to see.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by woopig
I've never done one before, but I'm starting to research the best ways to construct a good mileage run.

My reason is that I'll be fairly close to re-qualifying for Diamond Medallion status this year again, but I'm probably going to be around 20,000 MQM's short. It would probably be much cheaper for me to fly to Asia or South America if I could find a moderately or low priced ticket with a high MQM yield as opposed to buying the MQMs in December -- and I could have the added bonus of potentially visiting some random city that I would otherwise never have a reason to see.
This should do it for you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...i-4-9-cpm.html

The price is a lot lower than the title of the post now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.