Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: CAI - Argentina ~$2,500, unrestricted J

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: CAI - Argentina ~$2,500, unrestricted J

Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Would be nice if you booked this and AA lost your fare details: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

Then you would get 40% EQD on distance... or like $9000+ EQD lol
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Would be nice if you booked this and AA lost your fare details: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

Then you would get 40% EQD on distance... or like $9000+ EQD lol
Based on other AA J and JR fares I have flown issued outside the US, there is a good likelihood of this, especially if you get some schedule changes.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stephem
Based on other AA J and JR fares I have flown issued outside the US, there is a good likelihood of this, especially if you get some schedule changes.
This.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
"Ticketed by" isn't what matters; "marketed" does, for all the earning. So if you're buying "AA" or "BA" flights, you earn according to the respective tables.

<snip>

No, you don't get to "earn 40% EQD for AA J" from the Special Fares table, which presumably is what you had in mind.
Absolutely incorrect.

Early this year I flew the PEN-YVR fare that was on 001 ticket stock and all flights were AA flight numbers. All earnings were from the Special Fares table. I believe flights booked via AAVacations credit per the Special Fares table as well.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by whimike
Absolutely incorrect.

Early this year I flew the PEN-YVR fare that was on 001 ticket stock and all flights were AA flight numbers. All earnings were from the Special Fares table. I believe flights booked via AAVacations credit per the Special Fares table as well.
The how's and why's a fare credits as a special fare (no fare available) are truly unknown. I'm in the middle of a DONE5 RTW AA ticket that has been reissued more times than anyone can count and yet it still credits on a price basis for AA legs. I got a whopping $138 EQD for MIA-SAN on D fare leg.

Assume nothing but be surprised if it works in your favor. Also, there are reports of Special Fares being changed from mileage based to normal fare based after crediting.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tlott
Yeah, but if AA cannot determine fare data, it reverts to a distance based chart. I was curious if non-001 stock always = the distance based chart. That is how it is for UA.
It is not safe to assume you'll wind up on Special Fares just because the ticket is partner-purchased; you probably won't. Maybe that's because of their special fare-sharing arrangement; I don't know.

Absolutely incorrect.

AAVacations uses the first Special Fares table because that's what AA says they'll do, as wdo "bulk" or "consolidator" fares. Flights end up using the second Special Fares table (the one with that 40% EQD) when the "fare is missing". Partner stock does not (necessarily) put you in this category.

Yes, it is possible that in the scenario discussed here you could get lucky and end up in the Special Fares table. Certain things like buying with points or having a ticket reissued seem to improve the odds greatly. But it is unlikely and certainly not something you should be basing your earn plan on.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Aug 13, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
A quick note to anyone actually wanting to visit Argentina on this fare: AAdvantage miles go a long way intra-Argentina, specifically 6,000 AAdvantage miles plus de minimis taxes gets you anywhere in the country on LATAM. (one-way). Check for availability on ba.com or latam.com. (AR tickets are also available, using ST mileage).

As the ex-CAI fares discussed above are mileage fares, and LATAM only has Y cabins domestically, my advice is that one is probably much better off not "wasting" unrestricted J mileage on this internal travel when such an inexpensive alternative is often available. LATAM redemption availability is notoriously funky/chaotic, but ime, it most decidedly does exist.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Shame it doesn't get you to MPN but you can get to RGL and take the LATAM flight across. Highly recommend MPN especially in Spring or Summer.

Maybe one for SFO777
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AVIS President's Club, Hilton Diamond
Absolutely incorrect.

When you post something like this, it would be helpful if you would post the exact segments one-by-one, PEN-to where, list the miles, show your calculations this multiplied by this to get the EQD, then show your work to get the EQM, and then your totals. Please. Thank you.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
A question for one of our resident travel agents ...

I see that this fare does not have an exception for HIP yet people are booking stopovers, at least in the United States. Is this one of those hardcoded IATA exceptions where HIP is excepted for travel between certain regions even if not specified in the individual fare rules?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem
A question for one of our resident travel agents ...

I see that this fare does not have an exception for HIP yet people are booking stopovers, at least in the United States. Is this one of those hardcoded IATA exceptions where HIP is excepted for travel between certain regions even if not specified in the individual fare rules?
As far as I can see, there's no alternative combination of fares that could be used to construct an Egypt-USA-Argentina ticket. AA's Egypt-USA tariff doesn't allow end-on-end.

Without an alternative combination, there's no "higher" in the higher intermediate point rule. This is already the highest.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by our_kid
Shame it doesn't get you to MPN but you can get to RGL and take the LATAM flight across. Highly recommend MPN especially in Spring or Summer.

Maybe one for SFO777
USH should still work. Try using BUE on ITA routing as you'll have to do a EZE/AEP airport swap.

For example, LHR JFK BUE
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
The how's and why's a fare credits as a special fare (no fare available) are truly unknown. I'm in the middle of a DONE5 RTW AA ticket that has been reissued more times than anyone can count and yet it still credits on a price basis for AA legs. I got a whopping $138 EQD for MIA-SAN on D fare leg.

+1.
Same experience with my DONE5 on AA segments.
I have a QR flight coming up soon, I deliberately use AA codeshare to boost EQM. Will see how that one credits.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Can anyone recommend where to book? I was able to find acceptable itineraries on ITA, tried to book using https://bookwithmatrix.com/ but got the error when referring to Priceline or aa website. Also tried replicating it at OTA and hipmunk without luck.

The main problem I see is that the first segment, operated by RJ or LH, does not even show on AA website.

Mahalo!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1KHI
Can anyone recommend where to book? I was able to find acceptable itineraries on ITA, tried to book using https://bookwithmatrix.com/ but got the error when referring to Priceline or aa website. Also tried replicating it at OTA and hipmunk without luck.

The main problem I see is that the first segment, operated by RJ or LH, does not even show on AA website.

Mahalo!
I suspect that you are booking a J1NFFMN5 fare basis itinerary, which has the following limitation:

IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN EUROPE
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AB
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY BA
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB
ANY AB FLIGHT OPERATED BY AB
ANY AB FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY
ANY AB FLIGHT OPERATED BY BA
ANY AB FLIGHT OPERATED BY HG
ANY AB FLIGHT OPERATED BY HE
ANY AB FLIGHT OPERATED BY 4T
ANY AB FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB
ANY AY FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY
ANY AY FLIGHT OPERATED BY AB
ANY AY FLIGHT OPERATED BY BA
ANY AY FLIGHT OPERATED BY BE
ANY AY FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB
ANY BA FLIGHT OPERATED BY BA
ANY BA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AB
ANY BA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY
ANY BA FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB
ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB
ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BY I2
ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BY AB
ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY
ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BY BA
ANY VY FLIGHT OPERATED BY VY
ANY EI FLIGHT OPERATED BY EI
ANY LX FLIGHT OPERATED BY LX
ANY A3 FLIGHT OPERATED BY A3
ANY AZ FLIGHT OPERATED BY AZ
ANY AZ FLIGHT OPERATED BY CT
ANY FB FLIGHT OPERATED BY FB
ANY OS FLIGHT OPERATED BY OS
ANY OU FLIGHT OPERATED BY OU
ANY BE FLIGHT OPERATED BY BE
ANY LO FLIGHT OPERATED BY LO
ANY SK FLIGHT OPERATED BY SK
ANY TP FLIGHT OPERATED BY TP
ANY TP FLIGHT OPERATED BY NI
ANY LH FLIGHT OPERATED BY LH
ANY LH FLIGHT OPERATED BY CL
ANY LH FLIGHT OPERATED BY EN
ANY LX FLIGHT OPERATED BY WK
ANY LX FLIGHT OPERATED BY 2L
ANY F7 FLIGHT OPERATED BY F7
ANY JU FLIGHT OPERATED BY JU

Note that LH flights operated by MS are not permitted, and will defeat ticketing. Try again with a LH metal ex-CAI flight.

Re aa.com, I suggest you try loading the itinerary to aa.com GERMANY - English.

Last edited by jbalmuth; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:52 am Reason: included fare rule

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.