Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Original premium fare deal was for QR J class travel, originating in Vietnam (SGN and HAN) to several destinations across the Americas, Europe, and Africa. Travel period 8/2017 - 3/2018 inclusive, RT fares in the USD 500 - 700 range (USD $0.05 base fare).

Reports have now been circulating that all held, non-purchased fares have been canceled by the airline. Some held and then purchased fares were also canceled, but several reports indicate at least some of those have been re-instated.

For more information on flying Qatar Airways, visit the FT forum: Qatar Airways | Privilege Club. This thread in that forum is especially useful: Qatar Airways Forum Dashboard.

This wikipost is intended to help us better understand if there are any trends (by route, travel date, and/or held/ticketed status) in these cancellations. In all entries, please include: outbound or inbound departure date, origin-destination, original ticket status (only *if* "Held" or "Ticketed after Hold"), and current ticket status only *if* your ticket was cancelled ("Cancelled" or "Cancelled & Reinstated").

August HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Aug 05 SGN-Africa - Ticketed after Hold.
Aug 08 SGN-EZE
Aug 13 EZE-SGN
Aug 23 HAN-FRA

September HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Sep XX HAN-GRU
Sep 21 SGN-JFK
Sep 30 SGN-ORD - mster
Sep XX HAN-PHL
Sep XX SGN-JFK
Sep XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled & Reinstated.

October HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Oct 03 ORD-SGN - mster
Oct 07 SGN-DFW - mster
Oct 13 DFW-SGN - mster
Oct XX SGN-JNB

November HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Nov 05 SGN-JFK - trapped
Nov 07 JFK-SGN - trapped
Nov 09 SGN-ORD - trapped
Nov 16 ORD-SGN - trapped
Nov XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.

December HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Dec 23 SGN-DFW pbg
Dec 28 DFW-SGN pbg
Dec 28 SGN-DFW
Dec XX SGN-DFW

January HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Jan 10 DFW-SGN
Jan 11 HAN-DFW
Jan 13 DFW-HAN
Jan 25 SGN-ORD - Booked via OTA. Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet late Jan)
Jan 31 HAN-ATL - mster
Jan XX SGN-SOF
Jan XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.
Jan XX SGN-Africa
Jan XX DFW-SGN
Jan XX SGN-PHL
Jan XX SGN-EZE/GRU - Three RTs.
Jan XX SGN-DFW
Jan XX SGN-DFW

February HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Feb 20 ATL-HAN - mster
Feb XX SGN-JNB
Feb XX PHL-SGN
Feb XX GRU-SGN - Three RTs.
Feb 09 ORD-SGN - Booked via OTA. Davem4
Feb 10 SGN-WAW - Booked via OTA. - Davem4
Feb XX SGN-JFK - Booked via OTA - lcpteck

March HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Mar 01 SGN-ATL - mster
Mar 07 ATL-SGN - mster
Mar 04 SGN-JFK
Mar 19 JFK-SGN
Mar 01 HAN-MIA
Mar 04 MIA-HAN
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar 03 WAW-SGN - Booked via OTA. - Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet early Mar)

Held & Cancelled
Aug XX SGN-FRA - Held. Cancelled.
Oct XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Nov / Feb SGN-PHL - Held. Cancelled. (Held ~7:30pm. No record when I went to ticket Monday @8:30am.)
Jan / Feb SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
It's one thing when a fare pops out of nowhere, I understand that. But when an airline says that there is going to be a special opportunity to try business class "soon", and then within 24 hrs this happens, I can't honestly say this wasn't a mistake, and the cancellations are not justifiable, anger is a very reasonable outcome.
This is exactly the way I feel. When I first got wind of it, the first things I read was "Qatar said there was going to be a surprise" and I didn't even think this was an error, I thought it was a legitimate fare sale. There is no way to know what is legit anymore. Also, no communication.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Based on the link I posted above that they just tweeted, I no longer think fares were intentional. They have a very confusing twitter feed though. Thet have been responding to people who got the ex-sgn fares in a positive fashion. I'm thinking their comm team doesn't know what's up.

And yet... they tweeted this about yesterday's...

"@Skyehiker Hi John, the offer is no longer available. Promotional seats are limited and sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

But to your question, if it was legit, the fare likely had terms that said when the fare expired. You would have needed to be aware of those and buy before then.
Reading through the tweets it seems they clearly understand that people got "amazing" and "jaw dropping" deals (quoting from their tweets) that are no longer available. And they're telling people to stay tuned for more... would be pretty odd to invalidate everyone's tickets now. Can't say why some are getting canceled, mine are intact and that seems to be the majority at this point. Perhaps when canceling held reservations there were some that got pulled in by mistake?

Anything goes with QR, so I'm still not assuming this has been settled, but seems encouraging.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by daslax
Reading through the tweets it seems they clearly understand that people got "amazing" and "jaw dropping" deals (quoting from their tweets) that are no longer available. And they're telling people to stay tuned for more... would be pretty odd to invalidate everyone's tickets now. Can't say why some are getting canceled, mine are intact and that seems to be the majority at this point. Perhaps when canceling held reservations there were some that got pulled in by mistake?

Anything goes with QR, so I'm still not assuming this has been settled, but seems encouraging.
Unlike the Alitalia fares, I think they are are working backwards from time of credit card payment. Or maybe backwards from date of departure? Alitalia worked forwards from date of departure.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by daslax
Perhaps when canceling held reservations there were some that got pulled in by mistake?
That's what I'm thinking as well. Seems like most of us who had their reservations cancelled after ticketing had it on hold first.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Interesting automatic add on the side of the thread . Coach was the same price so i'm guessing it was supposed to be a Y promo.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: IKEA Family
Originally Posted by keitherson
the selective reading in this thread is quite something
But you did hold your cancelled tickets for a while, if I'm interpreting your other posts correctly?

To me it feels like they wanted to cancel all tickets on hold for some reason (probably to keep things in hand), but then (accidentally?) also cancelled tickets that had been held but paid in the meantime.

So far I've hardly heard of tickets that were immediately bought and never held that have been cancelled (if any). Only some PNRs that are now unable to be found, but where things are still OK when using the ticket no. (due to some glitch?)
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
This is exactly the way I feel. When I first got wind of it, the first things I read was "Qatar said there was going to be a surprise" and I didn't even think this was an error, I thought it was a legitimate fare sale. There is no way to know what is legit anymore. Also, no communication.
I'll give you a hint to figure out if it's a mistake or not. $0+tax fare basis is a mistake. They can't feed people champagne and steak and fly them around the world for $0 and stay in business. No matter how rich their government backing is. It's not a charity.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:21 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Two immediately paid reservations SGN-DOH-JFK leaving Jan 31st and returning March 17 are both still intact. Although one recovered an email needing to verify the credit card used. Second (both being my parents CC) didn't have any issue. Anyone have any experience with the verification?

Three bookings on hold all canceled. Feel free to add to Wiki

Also for free hotel for biz pax, is it only a limited promotion until sept, or as it gets closer to Jan 2018 will they open it up for reservations?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:28 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I suspect the time of the purchase is what's relevant. The twitter keeps referencing the T&Cs. If you put the ticket on hold (or even if you didn't) but bought it after the fare expired, perhaps that explains the cancellation.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Is anyone who really knows QR surprised that there is confusion about this promo and ticketed versus held Itins?

QR is decent enough in the air, but they just plain suck on the ground.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:37 pm

While the base fare was close to zero, remember that QR, like other airlines, include a YQ/fuel "surcharge" component that makes up the overall fare.

Base Fare
+ Fuel Surcharge (distance/route based)
+ Airport/Country Taxes & Fees
Total

It's not uncommon for airlines to discount the base while keeping the fuel surcharges intact.

As mentioned upthread, the base fare was ~1100VND, which is ~ $0.08 USD. This is reflected in the fare calculation:

SGN QR X/DOH QR XYZ 0.04 QR DOH QR SGN 0.04 NUC 0.08 END ROE1.000000

The fuel component is filed at $470.
USD 470.00 YQ

So at the end of the day, QR is getting $470.08 or so for each ticket, along with a lot of *hopefully* continued good publicity. ^
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Two immediately paid reservations SGN-DOH-JFK leaving Jan 31st and returning March 17 are both still intact. Although one recovered an email needing to verify the credit card used. Second (both being my parents CC) didn't have any issue. Anyone have any experience with the verification?

Three bookings on hold all canceled. Feel free to add to Wiki

Also for free hotel for biz pax, is it only a limited promotion until sept, or as it gets closer to Jan 2018 will they open it up for reservations?
Two of my bookings received verification needing a scan of the statements and my passport... I unfortunately don't have a statement handy (and online one doesn't show pending charges). Is there another way around that?

Could we use a new card?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nsfw
I'll give you a hint to figure out if it's a mistake or not. $0+tax fare basis is a mistake. They can't feed people champagne and steak and fly them around the world for $0 and stay in business. No matter how rich their government backing is. It's not a charity.
Yes, but there was a huge "airline surcharge" in there, which is technically the airfare, and the airline just chose to list the actual fare for a few pennies so it would appear higher in the search engines.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
i inquired about a transit hotel both via email and phone this morning and was denied a free one (it'd cost $150) because the fare was too cheap (they have like a cutoff of $400 or something each way, is what i gathered from the reply i got from the SGN office.)
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by nsfw
And the general public is not looking at those details. They are looking at the bottom line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.