Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Aa: Sea/atl/dtw/msp/slc/cvg-pap $369

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Aa: Sea/atl/dtw/msp/slc/cvg-pap $369

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by j1194
Are any of you guys worried about safety?

My girlfriend and I have this on hold, but various sites ie. US State Dept. are making me nervous about ticketing. I would hope if we go straight from the Airport to the Marriott and don't go anywhere we'd be okay but I accidentally held a ticket with 36 hours there (2 nights).

Debating if this is too risky. I've been to Egypt, the TRNC, Peru, Panama.

Just wondering if anyone has been to Haiti recently for perspective.
I have been to Haiti twice in 2 years. Haiti is not a war zone, just has a lot of poor people. So make sure you get car hire to pick you up and drop you off and everything will be fine.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:09 am

My girlfriend and I have this on hold, but various sites ie. US State Dept. are making me nervous about ticketing. I would hope if we go straight from the Airport to the Marriott and don't go anywhere we'd be okay but I accidentally held a ticket with 36 hours there (2 nights).

Debating if this is too risky. I've been to Egypt, Peru, Panama, the TRNC (unrecognized Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus).

I haven't been and booked this one with a short layover in PAP. However, I know a lot of people who have gone there on huminatrian / mission type work and no one seems to have issues. Obviously a very poor country so I wouldn't do / wear anything fancy (I.e. walking down the road talking on your cellphones). I think you'll be fine.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold

Debating if this is too risky. I've been to Egypt, Peru, Panama, the TRNC (unrecognized Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus), the Bahamas etc...

Hauteboy just did a Haiti weekend trip report - give it a read, looks safe to me (says the guy doing a same day turn) maybe PM them with questions.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nk15
That's correct, no lounge access if crediting to AA, unless he has access if crediting to AS?
Where points are credited does not make a difference in lounge access. The rules of the lounge visited apply. AA does not consider Caribbean international when it comes to lounge access.

AS lounge only applies on Alaska air operated flights

Passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket (e.g., A, D, F or P class of service) on flights operated by Alaska Airlines have access to Alaska Lounge locations only on their day of flight. These fares do not include entrance agreements into other airline clubrooms. To access the Alaska Lounge, passengers must show their same-day First Class boarding pass to the Alaska Lounge concierge. Passengers traveling on an upgraded ticket booked in U class do not have complementary access to the Alaska Lounge.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by CDKing
Where points are credited does not make a difference in lounge access. The rules of the lounge visited apply. AA does not consider Caribbean international when it comes to lounge access.
This is correct for Delta domestic lounges but not for United domestic lounges, where if you credit to a foreign FFP you get domestic lounge access. I am not sure about AA, are you positive about this?
Old May 23, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
This is correct for Delta domestic lounges but not for United domestic lounges, where if you credit to a foreign FFP you get domestic lounge access. I am not sure about AA, are you positive about this?
No need to actually credit to the other FFP. You need to have *A gold status with another airline to get into UA lounges on domestic itineraries but can still credit to UA.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by a9504477
No need to actually credit to the other FFP. You need to have *A gold status with another airline to get into UA lounges on domestic itineraries but can still credit to UA.
Wow, that's actually cool, are you sure that you can do this straight up, without switching where you credit during the process?
Old May 23, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by a9504477
Wow, that's actually cool, are you sure that you can do this straight up, without switching where you credit during the process?
I never had to switch numbers to use non-UA *A access when traveling domestically on UA coach. Some really poor agents have told some in the past they needed to but it was incorrect information. It also wasn't a class of service rule it was an alliance elite rule.

Alaska and Virgin were the only US carriers to give domestic F lounge access based on class of service alone. Different carriers may have a different definition of International when it comes to class of service lounge access but AA Caribbean does not get access under OW status nor class of service.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Attached Images  
Old May 23, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Debating if this is too risky. I've been to Egypt, Peru, Panama, the TRNC (unrecognized Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus), the Bahamas etc...

I also booked this as a 3-4 day vacation, going to the best resort but I am also concerned about security and mostly health safety, reading all these health risks, malaria, cholera, typhoid, all mosquito diseases, you name it, it's there, and I don't have most of the vaccines...Even people in the best resort commonly report diarrhea, etc. We will also stand out very much, so that's a bit of a concern...I have to make a decision by tonight as well...Looked into flights to nearby airports, driving to DR, etc., all seem no go. Is anyone else booking this as a short trip or vacation?

Last edited by nk15; May 23, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 12:52 pm

I also booked this as a 3-4 vacation, going to the best resort but I am also concerned about security and mostly health safety, reading all these health risks, malaria, cholera, typhoid, all mosquito diseases, you name it, it's there, and I don't have most of the vaccines...Even people in the best resort commonly report diarrhea, etc. We will also stand out very much, so that's a bit of a concern...I have to make a decision by tonight as well...Looked into flights to nearby airports, driving to DR, etc., all seem no go. Is anyone else booking this as a short trip or vacation?
The food will be cooked and you can just avoid ice and drink bottled water and order drinks straight or beer/wine. I've heard that most of the resorts use filtered water, but bottled would likely be even safer. I've read that the mosquitoes are a bigger source of the stomach issues, not to mention Zika and whatnot. Most resorts spray for them, but have your own. We ordered one that is supposed to be stronger than DEET with less harmful ingredients for humans. I can't recall the name off hand unfortunately, but you should be able to google it. As far as safety, you could likely sign up with tour group operators vs touring it alone. Others just suggest staying at the resort which usually has guards outside.

We were looking at going to the Dominican Republic and asked our kid's pediatricians (two different ones) whether they thought those vaccines were needed. They both said no, not if we were just going to be there for a week long vacation. It's more recommended for those living there long term.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
The food will be cooked and you can just avoid ice and drink bottled water and order drinks straight or beer/wine. I've heard that most of the resorts use filtered water, but bottled would likely be even safer. I've read that the mosquitoes are a bigger source of the stomach issues, not to mention Zika and whatnot. Most resorts spray for them, but have your own. We ordered one that is supposed to be stronger than DEET with less harmful ingredients for humans. I can't recall the name off hand unfortunately, but you should be able to google it. As far as safety, you could likely sign up with tour group operators vs touring it alone. Others just suggest staying at the resort which usually has guards outside.

We were looking at going to the Dominican Republic and asked our kid's pediatricians (two different ones) whether they thought those vaccines were needed. They both said no, not if we were just going to be there for a week long vacation. It's more recommended for those living there long term.
Thanks, that's a bit more re-assuring, but this is on the higher end of risk for Caribbean I think. I agree on staying in the resort (they actually ask you to sign waivers to leave the resort on your own), guided tours, only bottled water, etc., but still not sure if this is worth the higher stress...There are also reports of ATM scams in the resorts, language barriers everywhere, hospitality services significantly lower than average, etc. Tough choice, as I am also on the fence about this for some additional personal reasons as well, but I have spent a lot of time putting it together and don't want to let go, lol...
Old May 23, 2017, 1:37 pm

Thanks, that's a bit more re-assuring, but this is on the higher end of risk for Caribbean I think. I agree on staying in the resort (they actually ask you to sign waivers to leave the resort on your own), guided tours, only bottled water, etc., but still not sure if this is worth the higher stress...There are also reports of ATM scams in the resorts, language barriers everywhere, hospitality services significantly lower than average, etc. Tough choice, as I am also on the fence about this for some additional personal reasons as well, but I have spent a lot of time putting it together and don't want to let go, lol...
You can exchange your money ahead of time at your bank or at the airport and can use a CC which will be easier to cancel if someone tries to scam you. Maybe just bring along extra $ to tip with to make sure that you get premium service. Money speaks.

I haven't personally been to Haiti, but my husband used to live in the Dominican Republic and seemed to really enjoy it. He did have a personal driver for safety reasons, but that was years ago. Maybe another option is to fly into Haiti and then take another cheap flight there to another safer vacation spot? I don't know what their cheap carrier airlines are, but if you're only going for a few days, you could probably get away with carryon only luggage.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
You can exchange your money ahead of time at your bank or at the airport and can use a CC which will be easier to cancel if someone tries to scam you. Maybe just bring along extra $ to tip with to make sure that you get premium service. Money speaks.

I haven't personally been to Haiti, but my husband used to live in the Dominican Republic and seemed to really enjoy it. He did have a personal driver for safety reasons, but that was years ago. Maybe another option is to fly into Haiti and then take another cheap flight there to another safer vacation spot? I don't know what their cheap carrier airlines are, but if you're only going for a few days, you could probably get away with carryon only luggage.
There are almost no direct flights on google in the region, I have to search fringe local air carrier websites. The logistics are tough to go somewhere else and back within my timeframe, and it will be hard to pull this off by tonight, I am also very busy. I always bring cash for tips in the Caribbean, but the hospitality culture is not quite there, I have read reviews that say tipping doesn't do much, they don't even give them water after check out at the resorts, lol...So this trip should be taken with lower expectations, but I have to decide if it is worth the hassle. In all honesty probably my only chance to ever go there though...Unless I move into volunteer work...which maybe I should do.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
I never had to switch numbers to use non-UA *A access when traveling domestically on UA coach. Some really poor agents have told some in the past they needed to but it was incorrect information. It also wasn't a class of service rule it was an alliance elite rule.
I am surprised by this, I thought your FFP airline "pays" for your lounge access and you have to credit miles to them or something like that. OT though.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion
Does anyone know if you have to clear customs for a 1 hour lay over? (MIA-PAP-MIA)

Looking at a same day turn around with an hour but have heard conflicting stories.

Last edited by j1194; May 23, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.