Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Aa: Sea/atl/dtw/msp/slc/cvg-pap $369

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Aa: Sea/atl/dtw/msp/slc/cvg-pap $369

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Sooooo I'm going to venture a guess and say these are going to get honored? I think we would have heard something by now
Anxious to book positioning flights but I am waiting to see the outcome of this deal.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I got a "thank you for booking with American" email today, with my itinerary (I booked through an OTA, as I couldn't trust the infamous "hold"). I don't remember getting this message before, although granted, I rarely book through an OTA these days.

I have already my positioning flights booked/on hold, but had the foresight to pick an origin with positioning flights for $40. Now THAT's good thinking under pressure...
Old May 26, 2017, 8:05 am

An actual vacation

I booked flights around Christmas and New Years for a true vacation, since it's usually so expensive to travel around those dates. My wife and I, along with another couple that I convinced to come along, will be spending about 10 days there. Went with the most direct routing in this case, SEA-MIA-PAP-MIA-SEA.

Now onto hotels, whether to rent a car or not, etc
Old May 29, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
So had no issues flying SEA-MIA-PAP Sat/Sun. I always love the massages at the MIA Centurion Lounge. Ended up booking through JFK on the return to SEA today (AA 2175 & 2680). Anyone going to be going through the AA terminal today between 1-6pm? Looking for a lounge angel, since PP doesn't get you much at JFK if you're not already in the right terminal...

Planning the same itin next weekend, then booked a week in early July to check out more than the environs of the airport area (which was fine, btw. Lots of poverty around here, but fine). Ended up staying at Lakay Poze overnight. Nice spot, cheap, near the UN complex at the airport, includes dinner and bfast. Nice way to get a little taste of Haiti. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14953168
Old May 29, 2017, 12:47 pm

Just completed my first (of 2) runs. I spent the night at the Marriott.

For those of you doing an immediate/same day turn: I would be interested to hear if you are able to avoid going through customs and paying the $10 fee. It didn't look possible to me, but I wasn't looking that closely.

Note that you have to go through security twice when flying out of PAP. First, the general security and customs. Then a second security check point to get into the AA boarding area.

The American Airlines boarding area is on the second floor of the airport. If you have a few hours to kill; I would suggest heading to the AA departure area. Once through AA security, you can head up the stairs (to the third floor) and there is a "food court" area with 4 venders including a bar. I would say this area is the best food option in the entire airport that I saw. It is warmer up on the third floor but there are tables and alcohol!
Old May 31, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer

For those of you doing an immediate/same day turn: I would be interested to hear if you are able to avoid going through customs and paying the $10 fee. It didn't look possible to me, but I wasn't looking that closely.

Note that you have to go through security twice when flying out of PAP. First, the general security and customs. Then a second security check point to get into the AA boarding area.

The American Airlines boarding area is on the second floor of the airport. If you have a few hours to kill; I would suggest heading to the AA departure area. Once through AA security, you can head up the stairs (to the third floor) and there is a "food court" area with 4 venders including a bar. I would say this area is the best food option in the entire airport that I saw. It is warmer up on the third floor but there are tables and alcohol!
how was the marriott? i booked a two night trip in july and my buddy and i are considering staying at the marriott. The nightly rate is $160 which seems kinda pricey for PAP.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
how was the marriott? i booked a two night trip in july and my buddy and i are considering staying at the marriott. The nightly rate is $160 which seems kinda pricey for PAP.
It felt like a Marriott would feel in the US. Not a huge amount of character but safe and modern. Prices are what you would expect in a big city in the US. I had an $18 burger at the restaurant.

I put together photos and a review here.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:31 pm

Hi, thanks for the feedback, and how bad was it in the immigration part? do you think one hour for same day return is possible? I heard there is no transit facility...going to do it on this weekend...
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by twnemotw
Hi, thanks for the feedback, and how bad was it in the immigration part? do you think one hour for same day return is possible? I heard there is no transit facility...going to do it on this weekend...
I think an hour will be okay.
  • Get off the plane
  • Pay $10 entrance fee
  • Go through customs (quick)
  • At the check in counter area, avoid talking to anyone. They will try to "help" you (and then I assume ask for money)
  • Go through line to check your passport
  • Go through security
  • Go through customs
  • Head up stairs to the AA area
  • Go through one more security

The nice thing is that, when I was there on a Sunday, the lines moved quickly.

Note that you must have a paper boarding pass (you can print it off at home/hotel) to leave PAP. They do not have tech for digital boarding passes.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:43 pm

• Get off the plane
  • Pay $10 entrance fee
  • At the check in counter area, avoid talking to anyone. They will try to "help" you (and then I assume ask for money)
  • Go through security
  • Go through customs

Note that you must have a paper boarding pass (you can print it off at home/hotel) to leave PAP. They do not have tech for digital boarding passes.
Yep, I second all that. For those staying over, arriving about 2 hours early for the 12:10 JFK flight seemed to be just about right flying out on Monday afternoon.

I had printed out my boarding passes for the return legs at the MIA Centurion Lounge before boarding MIA-PAP, and they worked out fine for passing through security. No need to stop at the AA desk for anything.

I got through security in about 15 minutes, and even after walking around checking out EVERY little shop airside (my first time in PAP) I still had plenty of time to go through the 2nd security screening at the gate and snag one of the last table seats in the balcony food court area immediately above the gate area. That's where I found... [wait for it...] FREE WIFI!!! It's not blazing fast, but I sure didn't see that coming.

Note: There's a LARGE crush pf people who arrive later on (apparently for the 13:55 Miami flight). I'll find out what a 2-hour lead time on THAT flight looks like next weekend, and report back.

One other note: upon presenting the pass for boarding, the (very) young agent checking passes needed a moment to walk over and confer with the head gate agent that a printed boarding pass was OK, since they don't actually use scanners at PAP. Don't know if it was just him (or just part of the overall confusion that is AA Operations, since they also boarded everyone simultaneously in one giant cattle-call), but next time I'll probably take a moment to get them to swap out my printed boarding pass for something on their stock when I first get up there, to avoid that momentary boarding hiccup.

I must say I was very pleasantly surprised at the PAP airside facilities. More than adequate. Bathroom was cleaner than certain ones at ORD, lol...
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by brizone
That's where I found... [wait for it...] FREE WIFI!!! It's not blazing fast, but I sure didn't see that coming.
I tried the wifi up there; none of them connected. Which one worked for you?

Note: There's a LARGE crush pf people who arrive later on (apparently for the 13:55 Miami flight). I'll find out what a 2-hour lead time on THAT flight looks like next weekend, and report back.
I was on the 13:55 Miami flight on a Sunday. I got up to the AA area about 30 minutes ahead of boarding and there were ZERO people in line ahead of me to get through AA security. 2 hours was more than enough for me.

One other note: upon presenting the pass for boarding, the (very) young agent checking passes needed a moment to walk over and confer with the head gate agent that a printed boarding pass was OK, since they don't actually use scanners at PAP. Don't know if it was just him (or just part of the overall confusion that is AA Operations, since they also boarded everyone simultaneously in one giant cattle-call), but next time I'll probably take a moment to get them to swap out my printed boarding pass for something on their stock when I first get up there, to avoid that momentary boarding hiccup.
I had the same issue with the self-printed boarding pass. Not a big deal. Interesting, on Sunday when I flew out they boarded Group 1 first so it wasn't a crazy rush. Maybe you just got lucky
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
Any chance at all AA would let you stay on the plane for the same day turn?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
Any chance at all AA would let you stay on the plane for the same day turn?
Nope. That would be a security issue at a minimum. It would be one thing if this was a regional plane on a domestic route but not for international.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:33 pm

• Get off the plane
  • Pay $10 entrance fee
  • Go through security
  • Go through customs

Thank you so much for the info and tips, wish everything goes well tomorrow, I will try to get the BP at AA JFK lounge if that possible, or maybe they will give me all BPs upon check-in at SEA.

by the way, it seems able to call AA to change ticket without ticket fare difference, but $200 change fee required still...

Last edited by twnemotw; Jun 3, 2017 at 2:30 am
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:21 pm

I tried the wifi up there; none of them connected. Which one worked for you?
Oh bummer! I don't remember, but I seem to recall it was something I wouldn't have expected (like one of the nat'l. telcos or something). I just started trying the ones that weren't locked down and got on with the second one I tried.

Will make a note of it on my return this Monday and report back. I leave on my second run about 9 hours from now.

I had the same issue with the self-printed boarding pass. Not a big deal. Interesting, on Sunday when I flew out they boarded Group 1 first so it wasn't a crazy rush. Maybe you just got lucky
Ah, nice that Sunday's dead. I'm guessing it's my heading out on a Monday that makes it a full, chaotic flight... Unfortunately my schedule has me doing Sat/Mon instead of Fri/Sun. Oh well. I could have much worse problems than that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.