Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Segment runs: staying on one plane all day - How to figure out legs?

Old May 19, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

I would like to do a segment run on LOT, which offers some really cheap intra-Poland flights.

I would like to book as many flights as possible in one day. For some, I would have approx 30 minutes time in between. That's why I was thinking that it would make sense if I could figure out where the flight I came with, goes next. so that I can have short turnover times and not miss my connecting flight.

Is this somehow possible?
Old May 19, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
As far as I know, and as far as I see on-line WAW is the only Hub, correct?

If that is correct you need to position to another airport (AAA) and then get a ticket to another city (CCC) via WAW (BBB).

So not knowing where you live maybe you are close to POZ You'd go POZ-WAW-CCC then get a ticket to another city CCC-WAW-DDD and then maybe another home DDD-WOW-POZ. That would be 6 segments - not bad for a day of flying.

Segment running is hard in such a small country because you can't play time zones too so that hut your ability to keep hopping flights. In the US I can take a red-eye West to East and take five or six flights home to California - see what I mean?

Good luck.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:37 am

I am not entirely sure what timezones have to do with anything if you are starting and ending in the same timezone
The US is bigger, yes, but can you fly a r/t West to East for <100$ ?

Similar to what you do in the US, OP can start e.g. flying XXX-WAW-TLV red eye, and return TLV-WAW-YYY for about 200$, arriving at 9AM, and then easily fly another 4 segments during the day
Old May 24, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
I agree with you that timezones are not an issue here.

However, I would not suggest a run to TLV either.
What the TO is after are segments, the shorter the better, because a segment is all you need when trying to reach FTL (freq. traveler status) within the LH group.

So, the shortest (and hopefully) segments in Poland will do the trick. Sometimes you can get a segment for 10-20€ and sometimes even lower than that.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Another thing to consider, that I think the OP was getting at:

Direct flights - where AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are both on the same airplane, thus eliminating the need to deboard and find the next flight, also eliminating the MCT.

How would they find those?

A concern I would have with this plan is whether a direct flight counts as one segment or two? I expect some, but not all, flights which involve the same plane from A to B and B to C would also have the same flight number. With some airline programs, one only gets the direct mileage from A to C, not the mileage from A to B and B to C, when AB and BC are the same flight number. Would this also apply to segments?
Old May 24, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do

Direct flights - where AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are both on the same airplane, thus eliminating the need to deboard and find the next flight, also eliminating the MCT.

How would they find those?

A concern I would have with this plan is whether a direct flight counts as one segment or two? I expect some, but not all, flights which involve the same plane from A to B and B to C would also have the same flight number. With some airline programs, one only gets the direct mileage from A to C, not the mileage from A to B and B to C, when AB and BC are the same flight number. Would this also apply to segments?
On AA, at least, if you fly A-B-C on a single flight number they treat it as A-C in terms of EQM and EQS earned, and in terms of number of e500 certificates needed for upgrade.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by johnnywho
I agree with you that timezones are not an issue here.

However, I would not suggest a run to TLV either.
What the TO is after are segments, the shorter the better, because a segment is all you need when trying to reach FTL (freq. traveler status) within the LH group.

So, the shortest (and hopefully) segments in Poland will do the trick. Sometimes you can get a segment for 10-20€ and sometimes even lower than that.
I wouldn't necessarily suggest TLV either, but if looking for a relatively cheap red-eye flight to start in the evening instead of the morning, it's not a bad option.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do

The only way to do this will be is AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC is the same flight number, and thus only count as 1 segment if you fly AAA-CCC, in any other case, even if it is the same airplane you will still have to get off at BBB.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I think the OP is fine getting off the plane and back on, the value in this would be that the same plane would mean the same gate, and therefore not a mad dash to the next plane.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
The main issue you need to resolve is whether a direct turnaround is possible.

It doesn't necessarily help you if AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are operated by the same plane. It is conceivable that the arrival and departure gate are identical, but on arrival, you are routed outside security. So you'd have to clear security once again. It may be a long way back to the gate and you may not make it before boarding for the flight BBB-CCC closes.

The good news is that a number of Polish airports are direct-turnaround friendly (e.g., direct turnarounds are easily doable in WAW and GDN; there, you exit right in the airside area and you won't have to go through security).
Old May 30, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

@fppmongo,

That is a very good point I did not consider, as I am used to flying to airports where this turnover-friendliness is the case.

I will make sure to limit my short turnover times at WAW and GDN, thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.