Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Ek mle-nyc 101 ow / 141 rt

[FARE GONE] Ek mle-nyc 101 ow / 141 rt

Old May 25, 2017, 8:28 am

guys they are honoring the fare!

After reading that others were able to view their reservation online once again, I checked mine but I was still getting an error msg.

I decided to call them just spoke to a rep.

Rep was still saying that it was cancelled but i asked her to check with her supervisor and she came back saying that, yes, indeed, they received a circulation this morning informing them to honor the fare but that the ticket had to be reissued (don't know why it was automatic for others but not for me) which is why I was still getting the error message. I had her reissue while on the phone and have already received a confirmation email. And Voila!, I'm able to view the reservation once again!.

So do give them a call!

The seats appear to be closed for reservation however when earlier it was possible to choose your seats as well. Of course, I’m not complaining!!!
Old May 25, 2017, 8:49 am

So it appears you were wrong in this case.

Originally Posted by CDKing
The more complaints DOT gets about airlines not honoring obvious mistakes, the less likely they are to ever reverse course. DOT has already status they are suspending the post purchase price increase provisions in the case of obvious mistakes. The fact error has been splattered all over the place even if it weren't an error but a great sale, it just gives DOT more excuses to not hold airlines to published fares.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by phatjoe
So it appears you were wrong in this case.
Interesting. Probably didn't want to cover the non-refundable expenses due to TPG telling people to book separate tickets on Aeroloft. DOT has already stated they will not be forcing obvious mistakes so its something else that is causing them to honor.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Plat
Interesting. Probably didn't want to cover the non-refundable expenses due to TPG telling people to book separate tickets on Aeroloft. DOT has already stated they will not be forcing obvious mistakes so its something else that is causing them to honor.
There's absolutely no way that TPG was the reason they honored this fare. They will lose exponentially more money by honoring this fare than having to reimburse the handful of folks that booked the Aeroflot one-way.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:49 am

Here was my exact complaint to DOT:

"Description of Problem/Inquiry/Comment:
I purchased two one-way tickets from MLE to XXX through Emirates since the fare was low and affordable. However, Emirates has cancelled my booking without giving notice. Now they are claiming it was a mistake fare so they have cancelled the booking.

This was DOT's response:

"Based on the information you have provided, your complaint appears to fall under the Department's rules. We will forward your complaint to the airline and ask the company to respond directly to you with a copy to us. Airlines are required to acknowledge receipt of a consumer complaint within 30 days and provide a substantive response to the complainant within 60 days. We will review the airline's response."

I believe the amount of complaints that DOT received resulted in the honoring of the fair.

Dansdeals agrees:

The DoT Campaign Worked, Emirates Reverses Course And Will Honor Maldives Bookings!

Last Wednesday I noted that Emirates had tickets from the Maldives to Europe for $64 or to the US for $100 one-way or $142 round-trip.

Last Friday Emirates decided not to honor the tickets and sent out cancellation emails, when I advised people to write to the DoT.

The DoT responded to people on Monday that their complaints did fall under DoT rules and that they were taking up the case. The DoT makes special rules to keep airlines in check, as in general the public cant sue an airline in court due to the deregulation act.

The Wall Street Journal even picked up the story and noted that this website encouraged people to reach out to a higher authority-the DoT.

Old May 25, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
I bought a RT MLE-RNO and then a one-way RNO-MLE ...does anyone have any experience with EK allowing to split PNRs in general? I'd like to wait until the dust settles (ie after they reinstate everyone's ticket) ...but wanted to see if anyone's had experience with them splitting a RT PNR in general. Thanks
Old May 25, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by phatjoe

Based on the information you have provided, [B]your complaint appears to fall under the Department's rules. \
Don't read too much into the default response template. I've received that same wording in the past and still DOT has found for airline in similar complaints. Something else is at play here although it would be nice if DOT finally back to enforcing their own rules.

Originally Posted by Speedis1
I bought a RT MLE-RNO and then a one-way RNO-MLE ...does anyone have any experience with EK allowing to split PNRs in general? I'd like to wait until the dust settles (ie after they reinstate everyone's ticket) ...but wanted to see if anyone's had experience with them splitting a RT PNR in general. Thanks
No, airlines expects you to fly as ticketed. If you want to fly this you need to get to MLE first. Now if you no-show the return on the round trip you might be OK. It hasn't happened yet but they could come after you for no-showing the return.

Last edited by CDKing; May 25, 2017 at 10:12 am
Old May 25, 2017, 10:31 am

Just got off the phone with Emirates. They said the error was due to a glitch with currency conversion to USD. They said they originally cancelled the reservations, but not the tickets. After checking with the supervisor, they can reinstate those who have their reservation cancelled (i.e. can't check the reservation on Emirates website). But if you already initiated the cancellation with your OTA with in 24hrs, your ticket is cancelled+voided, and there's no way to reinstate it, whether through your OTA or Emirates.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ncben
Just got off the phone with Emirates. They said the error was due to a glitch with currency conversion to USD. They said they originally cancelled the reservations, but not the tickets. After checking with the supervisor, they can reinstate those who have their reservation cancelled (i.e. can't check the reservation on Emirates website). But if you already initiated the cancellation with your OTA with in 24hrs, your ticket is cancelled+voided, and there's no way to reinstate it, whether through your OTA or Emirates.
I had 3. Two are now reinstated, but the one I did a 24-hour cancel on with Expedia is gone. Messes up my flight stacking and my plans for cheap weekend jaunts to the Maldives, but I'll take it regardless.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Booked through Tripsta, called Emirates directly and they reissued the tickets! Cool
Old May 25, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Anyone had a MLE-Europe ticket reinstated yet?
Old May 25, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA, Latam, Delta, AA
I checked my itinerary and got an error, checked again and it came back on.

Had originally picked seats; went to pick again as there were none assigned and got the following error: "Preseating has been closed for this flight. You will be able to select seats using the online check-in facility 48 hours before the flight"

Was anyone able to pick/re-pick seats?
Old May 25, 2017, 12:40 pm

Don't read too much into the default response template. I've received that same wording in the past and still DOT has found for airline in similar complaints. Something else is at play here although it would be nice if DOT finally back to enforcing their own rules.

No, airlines expects you to fly as ticketed. If you want to fly this you need to get to MLE first. Now if you no-show the return on the round trip you might be OK. It hasn't happened yet but they could come after you for no-showing the return.
The fare conditions state a $200 penalty for no-show. I'm not sure if they charge that in practice, but something to be aware of, especially if you booked with emirates directly and have a credit card on file.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Anyone had a MLE-Europe ticket reinstated yet?
I just called them, and my booking is back online. I suggest you do the same and it only took 10 min for the call
Old May 25, 2017, 12:46 pm

I just received a call directly from Emirates about the flight. They said they are calling everyone that got in on this flight. They ARE reinstating all tickets IF you want them to. Good news!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.