Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

When, and what was the first mileage run you ever did?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When, and what was the first mileage run you ever did?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
LATINPASS - I got 1 million miles for participating in their challenge back in 2000. Best deal ever. I spent close to $10,000 to fly on airlines like Copa, Avianca, LACSA, Aeropostal and Grupo Taca.

What a blast!

18 years later and I am still a mileage hound. Although I must say I do spend a lot of time on LCCs in Asia flying around on $5 fares when they come up.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:49 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
2001. LGA to FLL and back on the same flight. I think the fare was under $100 and pushed me over to Gold Medallion on Delta.

My most recent MR was ORD-SAL-LIM on AV last summer when they had a biz class "sale" for around $400. I left YYZ Saturday morning and was back home Sunday afternoon.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:19 pm

A few weeks ago actually. I did UA, LAX-SFO-SIN-SFO-LAX. I left 8pm on a Monday, and landed back in LA at 12 noon Wednesday.

I worked and ate the first 1.5 hours of the flight from SFO-SIN, slept for 8 full hours and woke up with 7.5 hours to go. Thats when it hit me how long that flight truly is.

Tons of fun, can't wait to do a few more international quick-turns this year!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA,BA
2014 to Singapore on a Delta run. I paid $1k and may have been the best grand ever spent...I was hooked on the flying, the status, the pampering and soon thereafter met Flyertalk. 2014 also saw the Alitalia RTW deal so overall a great year. After that I went for and continue to keep Ex.Plat...and yes, Flyertalk is a part reason for not stopping.

Originally Posted by Brian201
I worked and ate the first 1.5 hours of the flight from SFO-SIN, slept for 8 full hours and woke up with 7.5 hours to go. Thats when it hit me how long that flight truly is.
How did you survive?! I did Bos-Hkg in CX First...it was 15.5hr and I was ready to lose it...yes, even if First.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by drminn
Well, since you are on FT I am convinced one day you won't mind going home from work via SFO.
I will do my first mileage run to Australia soon, via BKK, the goal is a nice steak, hard to find here.

Originally Posted by IncaTrails

How did you survive?! I did Bos-Hkg in CX First...it was 15.5hr and I was ready to lose it...yes, even if First.
​​​​​​​try it with a toddler in economy, after that anything is easy.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL plat, Marriott/SPG Gold
Just last week: MU to SIN and back at under 4 cpm for DL status
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
SIN is almost a perfect MR...same-day turns without needing to leave the airport, great lounges and low CPM if you plan it right.

I usually do EWR-HKG-SIN and back - 16+4 hrs going over, 3.5+15 coming back with 5 hour layover in SIN. What I do is spend the first 4-5 hours watching movies and dinner then sleep for a solid 8 hours. Then up for breakfast and landing in HKG. Grab a shower in the lounge then on to SIN where I grab another shower and change of clothes and a quick nap in the lounge.

i stay on my home time zone and try to sleep only at normal bedtimes if possible. I try not to drink too much alcohol and avoid sleeping pills. Getting horizontal is key for me - either in lie-flat J or ghetto 3-across bed in Y. I actually feel relatively normal when I get back home.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL plat, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mrswirl
SIN is almost a perfect MR...same-day turns without needing to leave the airport, great lounges and low CPM if you plan it right.

I usually do EWR-HKG-SIN and back - 16+4 hrs going over, 3.5+15 coming back with 5 hour layover in SIN. What I do is spend the first 4-5 hours watching movies and dinner then sleep for a solid 8 hours. Then up for breakfast and landing in HKG. Grab a shower in the lounge then on to SIN where I grab another shower and change of clothes and a quick nap in the lounge.

i stay on my home time zone and try to sleep only at normal bedtimes if possible. I try not to drink too much alcohol and avoid sleeping pills. Getting horizontal is key for me - either in lie-flat J or ghetto 3-across bed in Y. I actually feel relatively normal when I get back home.
whats the lowest CPM youve gotten on that route
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by viamarina
whats the lowest CPM youve gotten on that route
I usually average around 2.9 CPM when booked in lowest fare Y. Increases to around 4-5 CPM when factoring in upgrades (either upfare or cash+miles).
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
February, 2003. AA LGA-DCA-DFW-STL-LGW-RDU-LGA for $390. I was Gold at the time and AA had a promo where if you flew 10,000 miles before March 1st your status would be elevated to Platinum. Those were the days!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:13 pm

In regards to the SFO-SIN-SFO flights, I was fortuante that I had my own row each way (both flights were rather empty). I was able to snag a pillow from Polaris to sleep on, as one of the seats was not working correctly and they didn't allow anyone to sit in it. As someone else mentioned, I kept myself on LA time and slept my usual hours (1230AM-830AM), which helped prevent any jetlag. I landed in SIN, took a quick shower and ate, and got back on the plane while continuing to be on LA time. I didn't miss any work and never felt the effects of the time/date change.

I made the mistake of not upgrading my flight back when I landed in Singapore. I was initally offered to upgrade to Polaris for 30k miles and $600, which would have been a nice treat on the way home, but I didn't do it quick enough and when i got to the gate, it wasn't available anymore

I really wanted to do it for the pajamas.

Brian
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Last year (2016) was my first true mileage run. SEA-JFK-SEA. I boarded at around gate D12 in SEA, landed in JFK, re-boarded the plane, which then taxied into D13. That was 5000 miles to go 50 ft.

Airfare was around $250, but I was targeted for a SEA-JFK/vv double RDM on AS, so that was about 10,000 RDM for $250. It was not the best, but I needed to top off my account for a J ticket from SEA to S. America.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

1982-ish. TWA had a promo where if you flew 5 segments and 5,000 miles, you earned a domestic RT First class ticket. Yes, you read it correctly. I figured out that SAN-LAX-STL-JFK-STL-SAN came in at 5,043 miles. We talked friends into coming with us and had an awesome weekend in NYC. We used our free tickets for Hawaii and they used theirs for Alaska.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Because of this fine community, I was able to book my first run March of last year when I flew LAX-JFK-EWR-MIA-BOG-DFW-LAX to complete AA's Platinum Challenge. I had never visited NYC, so I used my commute from JFK to EWR to stop by One World Trade for a couple hours Landed in Bogota later that day, took a shower at the lounge, and flew back a couple hours later
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:09 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Is this a joke? Last time I flew CX First there were favorable tailwinds and the flight time was 1 hour shorter than usual. I cried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.