Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] FLR-HKG/ICN/NRT-DUS from 770€ / J

Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Unofficial cancellation statement from Alitalia: see post #2414, or the original post in Italian on a similar Italian forum

COW8C fare rules available in post #147 (second box)
DOW8C fare rules available in post #150
IOWGE fare rules available in post #1241
IRTGE fare rules available in post #1555
CRTEU fare rules available in post #1589
DOWGE fare rules available in post #1601
IRT8C2 fare rules available in post #2105
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] FLR-HKG/ICN/NRT-DUS from 770€ / J

Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Third time calling Expedia (UK) - 30 mins so far and 4th 'department' or 'team' the very helpful operator has tried to resolve the situation (i.e. process a refund).. and I have to call Alitalia as they are the only ones who can refund this now. I call Alitalia and surprise surprise they are passing it back to Expedia as they need to initiate the refund process. 'kin hell!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Why?
1. AZ is reading here.
2. Other non comformaritve Fares showed that some people always slip through
3. i did write about non-canceled bookings.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Epicura
Sorry to differ but you might want to check facts before jumping to conclusions, especially when such conclusions could be very worrying to non-experienced members.

1. When a carrier wants to force certain things, taking control over the ticket is the most convenient way to do so. This might not always be compliant with certain IATA standards but it does happen. Much easier for AZ to force reroutings etc when they overrule the OTA.

2. They only cancel their own PNR's because that's far easier than to cancel other carrier's PNR's. I might be wrong but based on my own tickets it seems at least that only PNR's for AZ marketed flights are affected with the exception of the AZ marketed, EY operated segments. I assume that this is mainly due to the fact that they need some kind of cooperation from EY but I am not sure. Anyway, the modus operandi is to cancel AZ PNR and based on that cancellation exchange/reissue the ticket with a PNR (for an AZ FLR-DUS or vv). This exchange causes the invalidity of the original ticket that is still attached to the other PNR's (CX for instance). Result: the other PNR is orphaned due to the lack of a valid underlying eticket.

3. If the tix would be honored as booked, AZ will be the one paying the applicable fare for flights on other carriers, based on their mutual specific pricing agreements.
Thanks for the technical explanation. One problem with AZ canceling/exchanging the original ticket is that you don't have access to the new ticket number unless you have GDS access. In fact, many people will still think they have valid itineraries and not realize it's been changed, since in many cases the OTA has not alerted them. I'm not familiar with IATA rules but it is definitely unorthodox for airlines to start exchanging e-tickets without even alerting passengers.

Last edited by Pat89339; Dec 16, 2016 at 8:06 am Reason: Remove response to deleted quote
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
[OT] I do not live in Italy but, trust me, there are worse things which could reflect poorly on an entire country, even though I appreciate that, living in the US, you are probably more sensitive to badly reflecting factors, especially in the last few months [/OT and with all due respect]

G
Has anyone considered alerting the President Elect?

One tweet from him to Alitalia, and all this could be resolved. ^

Or lead to a trade war between the US and Italy. They could impound Alitalia planes in the US and reconfigure them for use as future Air Force Ones, given that the Boeing contract turns out to be too expensive
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by irishguy28

Or lead to a trade war between the US and Italy. They could impound Alitalia planes in the US and reconfigure them for use as future Air Force Ones, given that the Boeing contract turns out to be too expensive
Best suggestion yet. You are truly someone who understands this new world we live in...

#I voted for HRC
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:29 am

If there's one thing the last decade has shown under any administration, it's that the Italians can be bought. That is, after all, how Emirates flies JFK-MXP-DXB with full fifth freedom rights; why Etihad has 49% in Alitalia; why Qatar has 49% of Meridiana.

But that's nothing unique to Italy. The comparisons between the President Elect and Berlusconi have been made for several months now, right up to the New York Times.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:31 am

As the former US president said to his Italian counterpart a few months ago: Patti chiari, amicizia lunga i.e. Clear understanding makes long-lasting friendship (our Italian language experts can confirm, perhaps)...

...which certainly doesn't seem to apply to the AZ vs Customer relationship

G
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:32 am

Sorry to differ but you might want to check facts before jumping to conclusions, especially when such conclusions could be very worrying to non-experienced members.
Thanks for your explanation but I don't see how you address the problem that OTAs now can't issue refunds. We already have people reporting OTAs referring to Alitalia and Alitalia referring back to OTAs. Why shouldn't people be worried?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Machiavelli Fare Resolution numero tre....

Called Expedia (NL for those who asked per PM) again this morning. This time I talked to someone who knew what she was talking about. The first flight (the rerouted one) is indeed under control of the airline, but you have to deal with the OTA to get it sorted. They will now contact AZ to try and get the original routing reinstated. A good argument is that you searched for a multi-city on the OTA's website and not a oneway ticket to DUS. She assured me that in case AZ does not reinstate the original booking she will see what Expedia can do (probably nothing) but confirms that the tickets are fully refundable (minus the booking fee, but she will have a look at that too).

The booking I cancelled and for which they charged me a €200 penalty will also be fully refunded.

I have a third booking which I left intact and asked her to make a note in the system to see if Expedia can protect it or possibly reissue it on a different stock. That seems impossible as the fare no longer exists. In any case, they will monitor it and contact me in case anything happens. Surprisingly the Expedia travel plan for that booking can no longer be accessed online or by Expedia employees but she found it using the Amadeus PNR.

Totally different experience from last night, so if you get an OTA agent that sounds a bit clueless, I would hang up and call again. I am a bit more confident now that this will be sorted without having to resort to cash back scenarios.

A fun fact: the email from Expedia informing me of the route change told me to call a certain number which was open between 10:00 and 14:00. That number was for the Apollo Hotel in Amsterdam (I could book a room but she could not get me flights... we laughed!) and Expedia CS is in fact open between 09:00 and 21:00. It is a bit of a cock up on all sides.

Last edited by henkybaby; Dec 16, 2016 at 2:41 am
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:44 am

1. When a carrier wants to force certain things, taking control over the ticket is the most convenient way to do so. This might not always be compliant with certain IATA standards but it does happen. Much easier for AZ to force reroutings etc when they overrule the OTA.

2. They only cancel their own PNR's because that's far easier than to cancel other carrier's PNR's. I might be wrong but based on my own tickets it seems at least that only PNR's for AZ marketed flights are affected with the exception of the AZ marketed, EY operated segments. I assume that this is mainly due to the fact that they need some kind of cooperation from EY but I am not sure. Anyway, the modus operandi is to cancel AZ PNR and based on that cancellation exchange/reissue the ticket with a PNR (for an AZ FLR-DUS or vv). This exchange causes the invalidity of the original ticket that is still attached to the other PNR's (CX for instance). Result: the other PNR is orphaned due to the lack of a valid underlying eticket.

3. If the tix would be honored as booked, AZ will be the one paying the applicable fare for flights on other carriers, based on their mutual specific pricing agreements.
While I do agree that prematurely blaming AZ without knowing technical internals feels a bit wrong, if I were a carrier involved in such a ticket, I definitely would have problems with the way AZ deals with the issue. I had a part of my ticket cancelled (only AZ flights), but none of KE,EY,NZ and CX flights were, and I can still open the itinerary on their web-sites without any indication of any problem with the ticket. That gives me a reasonable level of confidence that AZ indeed spoils their inventories, and if I were a revenue/inventory manager of those airlines I would try to screw AZ as much as possible for such dubious practices.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by maxvor
While I do agree that prematurely blaming AZ without knowing technical internals feels a bit wrong, if I were a carrier involved in such a ticket, I definitely would have problems with the way AZ deals with the issue. I had a part of my ticket cancelled (only AZ flights), but none of KE,EY,NZ and CX flights were, and I can still open the itinerary on their web-sites without any indication of any problem with the ticket. That gives me a reasonable level of confidence that AZ indeed spoils their inventories, and if I were a revenue/inventory manager of those airlines I would try to screw AZ as much as possible for such dubious practices.
And how do you think a non-experienced non-FT browsing passenger would feel when they check-in at the airport, only to be confused at what is going on? No email of changes/cancellations, no public statements, not even fully changing the e-ticket.

I hope Alitalia has a good explanation for the DOT when the complaints go in when they start canceling the fares touching the US.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Machiavelli Fare Resolution numero tre....

Called Expedia (NL for those who asked per PM) again this morning. This time I talked to someone who knew what she was talking about. The first flight (the rerouted one) is indeed under control of the airline, but you have to deal with the OTA to get it sorted. They will now contact AZ to try and get the original routing reinstated. A good argument is that you searched for a multi-city on the OTA's website and not a oneway ticket to DUS. She assured me that in case AZ does not reinstate the original booking she will see what Expedia can do (probably nothing) but confirms that the tickets are fully refundable (minus the booking fee, but she will have a look at that too).

The booking I cancelled and for which they charged me a €200 penalty will also be fully refunded.

I have a third booking which I left intact and asked her to make a note in the system to see if Expedia can protect it or possibly reissue it on a different stock. That seems impossible as the fare no longer exists. In any case, they will monitor it and contact me in case anything happens. Surprisingly the Expedia travel plan for that booking can no longer be accessed online or by Expedia employees but she found it using the Amadeus PNR.

Totally different experience from last night, so if you get an OTA agent that sounds a bit clueless, I would hang up and call again. I am a bit more confident now that this will be sorted without having to resort to cash back scenarios.

A fun fact: the email from Expedia informing me of the route change told me to call a certain number which was open between 10:00 and 14:00. That number was for the Apollo Hotel in Amsterdam (I could book a room but she could not get me flights... we laughed!) and Expedia CS is in fact open between 09:00 and 21:00. It is a bit of a cock up on all sides.
Are all Expedia call centers the same? If booked on the .de site, can the NL or co.uk site assist me?

Same question for ebookers -

And would be lovely to speak with the same competent person as HenkBaby...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by keitherson
I hope Alitalia has a good explanation for the DOT when the complaints go in when they start canceling the fares touching the US.
You are living in the past.... the DOT protection you value so much went out of the window with the UA error fares about a year ago. They couldn't care less about airlines honoring error fares.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:51 am

So, beside calling OTA's and AZ, did anybody contact the other airlines which are still showing their portion of itinerary correctly?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps
Are all Expedia call centers the same? If booked on the .de site, can the NL or co.uk site assist me?
I'm afraid they will ask you to contact the most appropriate (in terms of country e.g. DE, BE etc.) CS department.

G

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.